PDA

View Full Version : Zippy, Perego A3 or Bugaboo? Please help.

newmom3
07-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Hello all,

I have been reading this board for a while and finally decided to post my question. I am a new mom expecting my first one in 2 months. I have a problem deciding on a stroller.

I want something nice looking, good quality and easy to use. I would love to be able to use the stroller from birth until about 2-3 years. I live in suburbs but I will be taking my baby for walks both in my town as well as to the mall and other longer drives. I have narrowed my choice down to Inglesina Zippy, Peg Perego A3, Bugaboo Frog, and Bumbleride Rocket or Queen B.

I would greatly apprecaite your advice and opinion.

Thank you all.

cushy
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm also expecting my first in three months and was looking at the Zippy, A3 and I was somewhat obsessed with the Frog for a while.

Here's my really long opinion: I'm pretty sure I'll end up going with the A3, although I would like to hear reviews from people who actually own it. I couldn't believe I actually liked something better than the Frog, but I really do, for a few reasons. The basket on the A3 is huge. I used to think a big basket wasn't a big deal (and was pretty unattractive), because I would just hang a diaper bag on the handle, but I also can walk and shop in my town, and I think I'll prefer to walk to the grocery store for a few things, like I do now. The Frog has a pretty useless basket- I would have to carry everything and push- not fun. I also think the two part fold of the frog would be a real pain getting in and out of the car, and unnecessarily bulky, although I did like that the bassinet could be carried around the house like a moses basket. I also liked the frog's all terrain feature because I go to the beach a lot in the summer, but I know I'll want a jogging stroller, so I'll just use that. Also, the fact that the A3's seat edge can fold up looks really comfortable for babies, rather than their feet dangling down- I saw one sitting like that the other day. And a lot of kids seem to get too big for the frog really early (it's not that tall), and they just generally look uncomfortable because the seat is shallow. I forget why I didn't like the zippy, which was a definite contender before the A3, other than I know I don't like the two handles. I think it was because the straps are still there in the full recline, and it just seemed uncomfortable to have a baby sleeping on them. I kind of figure the baby will spend a lot of time sleeping in the bassinet feature of whatever stroller I choose, even in the house. Also, I think the A3 upholstery is machine washable (I could be wrong). Anyway, I figure I could get the A3 and even a Maclaren Techno if I want something easier/smaller for the car, have two really good strollers, and still not spend as much as a frog. But I'm also interested in hearing what others think.

dules
07-08-2005, 11:38 AM
I think the Bumblerides will be cumbersome for in and out of the car. The Frog tends to be outgrown by kids by the time they're two, if not earlier (depending on the child of course).

The Zippy and A3 are both great (as is the P3). Many moms use these from birth - 3, but many also decide they need a more lightweight once baby is older, and one for more rugged outdoor walking, as the rubber/plastic wheels are not great on very bumpy sidewalks, gravel, grass, etc.

If you have the space, it's nice to have a walking stroller (like a Rocket or Queen B or Valco or Mountain Buggy, etc.) and a car stroller (like a Zippy, P3, Techno, etc.).

Hope that helps a little.

Best,
Mary

knaidel
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I can't comment on the Bugaboo, except to say that for the same price, you can get 2, (maybe even three!) high quality strollers. I agree with the PP about the Bumblerides, that I think they might be cumbersome to be in and out of the car. The Queen B has fixed wheels, so I think that might be a pain in a mall or something. I know that Mary suggested the Zippy as a car stroller, but it depends what sort of area you live in. I live in Chicago (in a neighborhood with lousy sidewalks) and often walk 3 miles a day with the Zippy. I think it might be overkill for a car stroller. If you live in a rural area, well, then that's another story.
As for the A3, I had its predeccsor (I do I spell that?), the atlantico. One thing to be aware of, is that it is wider than the Zippy, which made it a big pain getting around in tight spaces, so I sold it. If that's not an issue for you, then it's a great choice for city walking. Also, it's very comfy and plush for the baby.

DisneyLovnMom
07-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Lets see, I just sold a Zippy, I had a bugaboo briefly, and I have an A3 that's camped out in the back of my van right now!

I like the Zippy, it's a great stroller, amazing fold, but I'm quickly learning that I'm not an umbrella stroller kinda girl. I hate having the bars over the basket!

The bugaboo lasted a very brief time for me, the seat is small and I found the stability questionable. The two piece fold drove me nuts too!

Now, my A3, I LOVE it! It pushes beautifully, the seat is a good size, the basket is huge, it's been great! I had it side by side with an Atlantico at the Cheesecake Factory and the A3 is slightly smaller and more compact! I have pictures of mine up at http://www.picturetrail.com/idratherbeatdisney

JodiM
07-08-2005, 09:06 PM
I wish they would have put a toddler step on that A3, it's really sharp looking!

I love my zippy, we use it everytime I can get away with out a full twin (I have 2 small kids that both ride) it is sooo easy to open and close. Not very heavy, has a great canopy and pushes easy.

The bugaboo is nice, but we never use it. The fold is a pain in the butt, I'm always scared it's going to get stolen, so I never take it anywhere (that, and again, the fold is a PITB) and it doesn't handle as well as my air tired "walking" strollers (Such as Valco or MB)

Honestly, for the price of a Bugaboo, get a Valco or MBUS for walks, and a Zippy or similar for a car stroller. You will still have money left over from the cost of the bugaboo, after buying those 2 strollers.

strollerqueen
07-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Actually, the Atlantico got a motor and became the self-propelled Dinamico. The A3 is the same size as the P3.