PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Teutonia stroller?

Patterson
07-10-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm looking to buy a Teutonia strolller. Does anyone have one and care to comment? And please let me know which model. Where did you buy it and how much are they? I've been in their webiste but can't tell if they're sold in the US.

I live in the city and walk everywhere on cobblestone streets - so folding it up is not an issue, but storage for groceries is. Dh and I are tall (5"11 and 6"3). Do you think this is a good stroller for me?

MANY THANKS!

HannaAddict
07-10-2005, 12:47 PM
We have a Teutonia Y2K/03 and it is a wonderful city walking stroller, dog walking stroller, and grocery hauler. Incredibly stable because of 2 fixed front wheels. We can even fit a case of Pellegrino in the basket when we walk to Trader Joe's. I've put a lot of groceries in this stroller. But it is a heavy stroller (30 +/- pounds), that is actually why it is so nice for dog walking, the dogs can't pull you over when they see a squirrel. I wouldn't want to cart it up a couple of flights of stairs though.

We call it the S-class, as in Mercedes. It is plush with a suede-ish fabric on the seat, thick water resistant canopy fabric and full incredible canopy with window and mesh zippered window for venihlation. I always wonder why all canopies aren't this nice and well thought out (with snaps to secure it in different configurations.) It came with a rain cover and we've used it a few times, but it has stood up to a lot of stroller abuse (don't tell Strollerqueen). It has been left out and gotten soaked several times (ever changing Pacific NW weather) and recovered perfectly. Our son is incredibly comfortable in the seat. It fully reclines but he swam in the harness when he was really little and so we did use it with our Snugride for short walks and it was stable and great for that too. It has really nice suspension and is a smooth push and nice ride. It even has blinkers, safety lights on the side that we actually use in the winter when it gets dark early in the winter. I think it would be good over cobblestones, we "off road" at the park with it sometimes.

We bought ours on closeout in 2004 after seeing a posting on this very board. I think we paid $199 down from MSRP of $469. Britax used to distribute Teutonia in the US but decided to develop their own product and no longer distribute Teutonia, hence the great deal. We bought it from joggingstroller.com, they were great and it shipped immediately. I don't know of any US retailers at this time, this has been a frequent topic on Stroller Swap recently. There are some that come up on craigslist or eBay periodically. There was one if my area on craigslist for $150 within the last month.

There are other Teutonia models too and people seem to like them. The Pixxel has swivel wheels, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I just know our Teutonia seems to be the most well made, well engineered, comfortable stroller, but it is built like a Sherman tank and weighs more some other walking strollers (MBUS). This is my husband's favorite stroller, he loves it and it is still used every day rain or shine (it did great in snow too). I've only seen 2 others IRL, both in my general neighborhood (one just last week at the wading pool). The one last week had a 3 or 4 year old rider and his mom said she loved hers too.

Good luck finding one, they are beautiful strollers. I've attached a photo of it from last summer, when my son was about six months old.

(ETA: I am 5'11" and husband 6')

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

VickiH
07-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a Mistral ($125) and Klikk ($250 with every imaginable accessory!). I purchased both of these used on Stroller Swap.

I LOVE them - they are so well made and beautiful - when the Klikk came and I took it out and set it up with all of the accessories, I almost wnated to cry...it was that gorgeous!

My models are older and made in Germany. I don't know where the newer ones are made. I don't think they are still sold here, but I am not completely positive. If you know exactly which model you are looking for you could check eBay or Swap.

Prince_Tamir
07-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hijack, but very cute baby, Kimberly. Do you mind if I ask where you got the sherpa liner for your stroller?

Michelle

HannaAddict
07-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks. We think he is pretty cute too (but much bigger these days). The stroller lining is actually the bottom of a Bundle Me Big. The top cover we used during winter actually zips right off leaving just the liner. It works great, is washable, easy to put on and off. We got it on sale (think I saw it on this board) too. I actually just got a Bowron Stroller Fleece too, for our BOB Revolution. The Bowron is thicker (made of a sheepskin) and provides more structure than the Bundle Me Big.

We've been very happy with the Bundle Me though and it works great year round.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

Nooknookmom
07-11-2005, 06:57 PM
The older Teutonia's are THE Mercedez Benz of strollers!

They were made in Germany and extrememly well built. I *think* some 2003 models forward are now manufactured in "Eastern Europe". The fabric quality and some of the frame quality has slightly changed. That said, they were SO well made before the change that the newer Teut's are still far superior to many brands. To purchase an 'o5, one would have to import from Europe.

Search Ebay for deals on older models, they come up quite a bit! You can't go wrong with Teutonia!!!!!

HTH