PDA

View Full Version : Travel to London?

indigo
07-11-2005, 09:39 AM
This is more of a general travel question, really... We are traveling to London in ten days and given the recent events I am a little leery of using mass public transport (the subway and buses). With all respect to the brave Londoners who have gone back to riding the rails, I am wondering if there is another way to get around for the few days we will be there. We have a Sit N Stroll for the plane, will it work for the streets of London or should we bring the Quest as well? (I'd prefer to bring less rather than more.)

Also, any suggestions for centrally located hotels/neighborhoods, where we can walk to many of the sights? I'm not sure yet what we want to see... if there are a group of attractions close to each other I'd like to walk as much as possible, and then cab it to another part of town for more sightseeing.

thanks for any thoughts you may have!

indigo
DD 7/04
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
twelve months and counting!

GroversMom
07-11-2005, 10:28 AM
honestly, i think you'll find the public transport in london safer than ever. Granted my parents sat in the underground for 2 hours while in London for my wedding because an unattended package had been spotted on another car, but londoners are very alert to these things in general....

as for where to stay... we've stayed at Browns which is central but very pricey (thankfully we weren't paying for it) and Dolphin Sq. which has some good specials and nice rooms.

also avoid the cabs... a cab from the airport will set you back about 60 GBPs.

dules
07-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I'd definitely bring the Quest. IMO the sit n stroll puts kids down too low, close to traffic and exhaust, in big cities.

I live just outside of NYC and commuted to my job there for years, DH still does. So I can't help you re: the public transport except to say that we do go on and if we don't, the people responsible for the attacks actually win.

Best,
Mary

indigo
07-11-2005, 10:50 PM
thank you both! Groversmom, I will look up the hotels you mentioned. Mary, I would think we may have to take the subway at some point, and I realize an attack can come anywhere, anytime, even here at home for us in the Washington DC area. I'd just like to look into alternatives as well. thanks again!

indigo
DD 7/04
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif
twelve months and counting!

npace19147
07-12-2005, 08:24 AM
We stayed at the Marriot Grosvenor Square and it was very nice, just make sure if you stay there to ask for a high floor, they're doing some construction in the lobby/ballroom area but we were on six and couldn't hear it.

GroversMom
07-12-2005, 10:09 AM
just a thought since you are traveling with a baby... you might find renting a flat for the week more affordable and convenient. We've rented houses and apartments in Spain and France before and have had really good luck using www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Also eating out can get very expensive in London... consider eating on the go with sandwiches from Sainsbury's or Boots.

npace19147
07-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Or Wagamama's is relatively cheap and cheerful, and pretty babyfriendly.