PDA

View Full Version : Swivel-wheel joggers: can't decide-- help?

Rubisca
07-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm in the throes of searching for the perfect (hah!) jogging stroller and hope I can get some advice from all of you. Here's the scoop: I have a 20-month-old DD now and hope to have a second baby when she's about three (or maybe a little older). Right now we have a Combi Ultra Savvy that's the back-of-the-car, mall-wandering stroller. Our current jogger is an 8-year-old InStep 5K that I bought used for $25 last summer. We hardly ever transport it in the car (though it does fit in our Subaru Forester); we just use it for daily around-the-neighborhood walks. I have jogged with it occasionally but don't expect to jog often, if ever, with the new jogger I'm seeking.

I want to replace the InStep with a jogger that has a swiveling front wheel and is more user-friendly for both baby and me-- comfier seat for her, preferably a cupholder/tray for her and something similar for me. My husband and I are not too different in height so an adjustable handlebar is not essential. A handbrake would be nice as we have some steep hills in our neighborhood. Our kiddo is super-sensitive to sun, so a big canopy would be great. Here's what I've looked at (in person) so far:

- Jeep/Kolcraft Urban Terrain: loved the parent and baby trays, hated that baby's seat must be fully reclined (with idiotic drawstring apparatus) before stroller can be folded. Stroller felt a little tippy (narrow wheelbase). Great price, though (around $130).

- InStep Safari TT (and Schwinn Safari TT). Again, great price ($150 or so). Same dumb mechanism for recline, but it needn't be reclined in order to fold stroller. Stroller felt rather "flimsy" to my husband. Liked the cupholder/tray for baby. Shoulder harness for baby seemed to fit her just right NOW (at 20 months and just 31 inches; she's very petite) so I'm concerned it'll be too tight on her as she gets taller.

- Bob Revolution. Pricey but not impossible for us to manage if it's the perfect stroller. Loved how lightweight it is, loved the manuverability. Don't like the fact that once it's collapsed, you cannot lock it in collapsed position. (Salesperson said you can wrap wrist strap around it to hold it in place, but that's a cheesy solution if you ask me.) Cupholders inside baby seat are a nice idea but I don't know if my kid has the dexterity yet to fit a cup in the snug elastic pocket. Don't like that I have to pay extra for a parent console that velcros onto handle. Don't like that it doesn't have a hand brake.

- Zooper Boogie. Like the reversible seat for use with (future) infant. Like the very large canopy. Can't remember how it collapses (can someone remind me?). Like that it comes with boot, rain cover, etc. Husband isn't sure he likes three 12-inch wheels (as opposed to other strollers' larger rear wheels). Don't like that there are no cupholders for either baby or mom (does anyone know if an accessory add-on holder would work on this stroller?). Again, I'm concerned that my petite 20-month-old might outgrow the shoulder harness on this one before she's ready to leave a stroller behind-- does anyone with a tall toddler still use it comfortably? How does this compare with the Zooper Jazz, and should I try to find one of those to examine? They didn't have it at our store.

I know lots of folks like their MBUS but the price is pretty astronomical given that it's lacking some of the things that are important to us. I haven't gotten to see a Phil and Ted's in person but don't know that it has what I want either (e.g. no cupholders, small canopy). Are there any other strollers I should be considering given my desires? I'd be grateful for any and all advice.

Thanks so much, and sorry for the long post...

Robin

newmomto1
07-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi Robin,
I just recently got a BOB Revolution & I love it!
My needs are almost identical to yours.
I am hoping to have a second baby in the near future though & was really trying to NOT spend so much on this stroller thinking (hoping) that I may need to buy a double before too long.
Trying to be "economical" I purchased the Instep Safari. I really LOVED the stroller...handles great, great features, etc...but I ended up having a lot of problems with it & actually ended up exchanging/returning 4 of them (Insteps & Schwinns) within a month. :-( That's how I ended up with the BOB.
I wrote reviews of the BOB & the Schwinn/Instep if you're interested in reading them:

http://windsorpeak.com/reviews/items/Strollers/Schwinn/sbr/date_desc/207/index.htm

http://www.windsorpeak.com/reviews/items/Strollers/BOB/sbr/date_desc/240/index.htm

I ruled out the Jeep immediately b/c I wanted to have the option of using it as a jogger...the Jeep really isn't cut out for that.

I never got to see the Zooper IRL, but decided not to pursue it because I was afraid my DS might outgrow it too soon, plus I had heard they are really heavy.

The MBUS was just too much $$ for me right now, plus I am not sure how that one would do as a jogger either.

I am really enjoying the BOB. I thought I would really miss the snack tray...but I actually think that my DS does better w/o it. When we had the tray on there (with the Safari) he expected it to always be filled with Cheerios. Now that there is no tray, he seems to have forgotten about having to be constantly "munching".
He definitely seems more comfortable in the BOB seat vs. the Safari. It's much roomier (not that the Safari was cramped...he just seems more content now).
I LOVE the big canopy...it almost totally blocks the sun! Unfortunately my little stinker has learned how to tug on the inside of it & pull it back a little (augh!).
The mesh cupholders in the seat are nice...but like you said, they are too young to figure out how to get the cup in once they take it out.
I did pay extra to get the parent console. I really like it a lot! It holds my water bottle much more securely than the parent tray on the Safari.
I have never had a stroller with a handbrake, so I cannot give an opinion on that. The Revolution does have a "leash" though. We have a lot of steep hills in our neighborhood too & I do like the extra security that the leash offers when going down a big hill.
HTH a little.
Have fun stroller shopping & good luck choosing one :-)

sarasmom
07-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I have the BOB Stroller Strides, which is the rev. in red and comes with exercise tubes(?). The Stroller Strides does come with a console that holds 1 drink and the tubes in a zippered pouch.You could take the tubes out to hold phone, snacks, keys, ect. I love the stroller, but I too wish it clicked shut when folded. How hard could that have been to add? Everything else has been great!
Carol
Mom to Stephen 7/1/95
Alyssa 4/15/97
Sara 9/2/03

JodiM
07-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Another vote for the BOB Revolution.

I just wish they made it in double.