PDA

View Full Version : Valco Twin vs. Dreamer Ditto

gjjklwik
07-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Hi

I have 21 month old twins, boy and girl, and I can't make up my mind between the Valco twin and the Dreamer ditto any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to lose about 100lbs and am starting a new diet but I need to walk because I don't want to put the kids in the gym daycare and my husband works all sorts of wierd hours. I would be walking mostly on sidewalks and ashphalt but I might be on grass or a dirt trail too. Almost all of our area is flat. Hopefully I will be back up to running but not any time soon.

Thank you so much for any help.

Jennifer
mom to Jake 12 years, Katie and Luke 21 months

JodiM
07-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Jennifer~

1st of all, GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I am right there with you on the needing to loose weight, after 5 kids my body just isn't what it used to be, and I LOVE walking (plus have to justify my strollers to dh somehow! LOL)

Are you wanting a true jogger? Or a stroller that has the option of swivel or fixed front wheel(s)?

If you are planning on using this stroller only for walks/running, then I would say get a true jogger (BOB, Kool Stride, Dreamer Design)
But if you plan on using it for everything, then get the Valco Twin (which I just love)

I use the Valco twin, but I don't run- and probaby never will. I power walk now (well, will start again when I get off these crutches) and when I need a little more workout, I plan on adding weights.

I LOVE my Valco- it is by far my favorite
I have tons to choose from, personal collection, and at my store, and this is the one I always seem to reach for.

It is only 29" wide, so it will fit through most all doors... I can steer and maneuver it with 1 hand if I need to.
It comes with everything you need to use the stroller too, including the sun and rain covers (sun cover is almost a must with children anymore)

Good luck on your journey, I'm sure you'll do great!

gjjklwik
07-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Jodi

Thank you so much your help is wonderful. I won't be jogging for a long time if ever again. So I think that I will take your advice and go for the Valco, now big question is what color. It even comes in pink and blue, which is cheesy but everything else we have so far is pink and blue so it would fit right in, but is it worth the $$. And how much dirt will it show? Is the red really red or black with hints of red? And how bright is bright blue? Does the black get hot? We live in a hot area yesterday it was 106. I don't take the babies out in the heat very often but my older son is on swim team and sometimes we need to take the babies to a meet.

Any more help would be great.

Thank you!

Jennifer Mom to
Twins Katie and Luke 21 months
Jake 12 years

Nemesia
07-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I have a red Valco Twin that I bought from Jodi and I love it. The color is red with black. There is quite a bit of black but the red looks good, I wouldn't want an all black one it would just be too hot, the red does break things up nicely. I haven't seen the blue so I'm not sure how it looks. Overall I would highly recommend both the Runabout Twin and the service that Jodi provides.

firsttimemommy
07-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi!

What kind of terrain will you be using the stroller on? Smooth sidewalks or streets? Or will there be gravel or other "challenging" surfaces?

I had a Valco Twin and it's a very nice stroller - especially if you need it for multiple scenarios (i.e. an occasional mall trip or other low-key outdoor adventure) It also has lots of bells and whistles for the money, but my 2004 has some "fit and finish" issues IMHO. I did feel like it was kinda heavy to push over rougher terrain.

However if you are JUST going to use this stroller for exercise (walking and then eventually jogging) I would invest in a lighter weight true jogger. It will be easier to push and models like the Dreamer Ditto or BOB offer awesome sunshades. I have the BOB and love it and owned a Ditto and loved it too!

Good luck to you!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

gjjklwik
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi!

I will mostly be on smooth sidewalks or streets. There is not much in the way of challenging surfaces in our area.

What do you mean by "fit and finish" issues? I have been looking at the ditto I really like that one too.

The problem is I have to really rely on other peoples oppions because I haven't been able to find any of the double joggers in a 100 mile radius from our house and we only live about 70 miles from San Francisco and 60 miles from Sacramento you would think this wouldn't be the most difficult thing to find. But I will have to buy it online never tested by me or my husband.

Thanks for all and any help!!!!

Jennifer Mom to
Jake 12 years

kellyotn
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
http://stores.kiwi-kid.com/StoreFront.bok is in Sausalito. He has the Valco's.

Also, you might just call Valco and Dreamer. Its been my experience that some manufacturer's just don't update their retailer listings very well. I would think in your area, you should be able to find them IRL!

I you are wanting the fixed wheel option, Dreamer does have a swivel wheel kit that you can use until you decide to start running. www.arunningstroller.com has it. Just an FYI in case you hadn't seen it.

gjjklwik
07-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Thank you I will call trying the manufact. I wasn't sure that the swivel kit looked really that sturdy, do you have one? How good is it?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Jennifer Mom to
Jake 12 years

kellyotn
07-20-2005, 06:07 PM
No I do not have it. I'd call/email Marilyn at www.arunningstroller.com or the guys at www.joggingstroller.com. They are both very nice.

I just happened upon the Dreamer's swivel kit when I was trying to see if something similar existed for BOB singles. Alas, I found nothing. I assume the Ditto kit is extra wide??