PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on strollers for the Urban Jungle

sarnacle
07-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I live in an Urban Jungle, NY, and don't have a car. Denise and Alan recommend the Valco Runabout and Zooper Zydeco for urbanites like me, but recommend the Jeep Liberty Limited for the "Green Acres" folks.
Is there a reason they wouldn't recommend the Jeep model for city dwellers? What are the advantages of the other two strollers in the city environment?

As for a more lightweight stroller that I'd be able to haul up and down subway stairs and on and off buses, I looked at the MacClarens, the Inglesina Zippy, the Chicco Savvy Soho DX, and the Combi London/Tuscany. Of them all, I like the MacClarens and the Zippy more since it seems like they're more substantial and that the child won't outgrow them as fast, and the one-handed fold on the Zippy is AWESOME! A sales representative at Buy Buy Baby (incidentally, they are very helpful there) also recommended the Peg Aria. I love how lightweight it is. Is there a reason they might not have included it on that list along with the others?

Let's pretend that someone is buying these items for me, so price is not an issue. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

knaidel
07-15-2005, 01:45 PM
I can't answer the first question for you. I have no idea why they recommend the jeep for rural areas and not the city.
As for a public transportation stroller, I can talk to you about that...the Zippy is more of full featured stroller. While I do take my Zippy on the train and bus, I wouldn't buy it for that purpose. It's 17 lbs. Not exactly featherlite. I think the Combis (I tihnk you mean the Combi Savvy soho DX) are great for public transportation. Now, the caveat is that most people say that Combis aren't outdoor strollers, but decide how much you'll be using it. For instance, if you'll only be taking it once or twice a week while you go strolling on the UWS (a former NYer transplanted to Chicago. Sigh), well then I think that it'll be fine. Basically, I don't think you can have both: a really "tough" stroller that's great for city sidewalks AND lightweight. I know that everyone on these boards loves their MacClaren Quests, but I hate mine. I wish I had just saved the money and gotten a Chicco or a Combi (that's why I never bring my Quest with me on public transportation- I hate it so much!) Also, COmbis fold up pretty small, and they have that carry strap, so you can just sling it over your stroller while you caryy your baby (maybe in a mei tai or sling or something) up the steps or escalator.
Does that make sense?
Also, when I was visiting my parents in NY in may, I noticed that each neighborhood has "their" stroller. Everyone in Park Slope has a Maclaren. Everyone is Brooklyn Heights has a Bugaboo. Everyone in Borough Park has a Zippy. just a useless piece of info I'm throwing out to you.
Anyway, I hope that helps you a little. I've taken my kid on public transportation quite a bit, so feel free to ask anything else.

jhrabosk
07-15-2005, 01:55 PM
I actually live in Hoboken and my husband and I went through the same struggle. We haven't bought anything yet (baby's not due 'til late October), but I can tell you what we've finally decided and what our logic is...

We originally really wanted something like the Runabout or the Zydeco (or the MBUS, etc.), but decided that they're just too heavy and bulky. We have one small flight of stairs to our apartment and, like many NYers, not a lot of storage space.

We've decided that since we're going to have an infant car seat anyway (apparently, you can't leave the hospital without one, even if you're walking), we'll shell out the $50 for a snap-n-go frame and register for a Zippy as well. That way I have a really light stroller for when I'm by myself and a more heavy-duty, but still easy to fold, stroller for longer walks.

Then, when the baby outgrows the infant seat, we can consider adding a really lightweight Maclaren or something.

I really liked the Peg Aria or P3 as well, but my husband has his heart set on a Zippy... :)

Smiles81
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Rachel - Why do you hate the quest?
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

knaidel
07-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Reena- I emailed you!

audys
07-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi, I bought an Aria before my son was born and don't use it anymore. It folds flat like an umbrella and that's much harder to haul around than an umbrella. If you can handle the extra weight, consider the P3.

I have a Mac Quest and LOVE mine - I use it for errands. The wheels are small and plastic, and may have a tough time on uneven sidewalks. This has no cup holder and a small basket, but I bought a cup holder for mine.

Also check out the Zoopers - these are nice strollers and although many are heavy, I love the Swing and Pottery Barn Kids has a version of the swing that is 2 lbs lighter.

I do have a MBUS and LOVE it but it's much to heavy to haul around on/off public transportation.

If you want a simple umbrella, I'd chose the Quest. If you want a full featured stroller, check out the others. Happy shopping,

Audrey, mother to Graham

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040210/0/5/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

sarnacle
07-18-2005, 09:39 PM
>I can't answer the first question for you. I have no idea why
>they recommend the jeep for rural areas and not the city.
Actually, I sent them the question directly and they said that the Jeep wasn't built to withstand the rigors of the city...

> As for a public transportation stroller, I can talk to you
>about that...the Zippy is more of full featured stroller.
>While I do take my Zippy on the train and bus, I wouldn't buy
>it for that purpose. It's 17 lbs. Not exactly featherlite.
Good to know -- thanks.

>I think the Combis (I tihnk you mean the Combi Savvy soho DX)
>are great for public transportation. Now, the caveat is that
>most people say that Combis aren't outdoor strollers, but
>decide how much you'll be using it. For instance, if you'll
>only be taking it once or twice a week while you go strolling
>on the UWS (a former NYer transplanted to Chicago. Sigh), well
>then I think that it'll be fine.
That's part of the problem. I'm not sure how I'll be using it, which is why I want to cover my bets.

Basically, I don't think you
>can have both: a really "tough" stroller that's great for city
>sidewalks AND lightweight.
See, that's kind of what I'd like, but I also know that it doesn't exist. I liked the Zippy because it seems like it could withstand the bumps and turns of NYC, but is relatively light (not 25 or 30 lbs). But like you said, it's not a lightweight stroller the way some of the others are.

I know that everyone on these
>boards loves their MacClaren Quests, but I hate mine.
Why do you hate the Quest? Is it just that model, or all Macs?

Also, COmbis fold up
>pretty small, and they have that carry strap, so you can just
>sling it over your stroller while you caryy your baby (maybe
>in a mei tai or sling or something) up the steps or escalator.
Yes, they're less expensive and light, but will they not be tough enough?
>
>Also, when I was visiting my parents in NY in may, I noticed
>that each neighborhood has "their" stroller. Everyone in Park
>Slope has a Maclaren. Everyone is Brooklyn Heights has a
>Bugaboo. Everyone in Borough Park has a Zippy. just a useless
>piece of info I'm throwing out to you.
I love useless info! You know, to some extent, those categories seem to make sense... Now, the question is, with which neighborhood do I want to associate myself?

>Anyway, I hope that helps you a little. I've taken my kid on
>public transportation quite a bit, so feel free to ask
>anything else.
Thanks for you help, and I might just take you up on the offer to ask more questions!

Sarah

sarnacle
07-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your input.

I was looking at the Runabout or Zydeco for staying in the neighborhood and getting a second, lightweight stroller for hopping on the bus or subway. We're lucky to have a little more space than most NYers, so that's not a concern.

I'm also considering going the Snap-n-Go route, but I'm thinking ahead and wonder what I'll do once the baby grows out of the infant carseat... Might it be worth it to get a regular stroller right away that'll last me years rather than just months?

Also liked the Aria -- super lightweight! But I think I'm with your husband on this one. Between the two, I preferred the Zippy.

chelseamom
07-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't know how helpful this will be since I don't have any experience with a lot of the strollers you ask about, but here goes...

I live in Manhattan and have a MBUS and a Quest and I feel like this is the perfect combination! I live downtown and we walk almost everywhere so we use the MBUS a lot, but the Quest is perfect for the subway, travel, and stores with narrow aisles. I would highly recommend this combo!

I hope this helps a little,
Samantha

knaidel
07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Since you aren't sure how you'll be using the stroller, then why don't you wait?
The Quest is a model of Maclaren. If you look under "parent product reviews" for Quest, you can read my review and see why I don't like it. I happen to just not like it, that's all. I know that a lot of others have them for public transportation and like them a lot. I don't think that there are and great advantages of the Quest over the Combi, that's all. You ask if it will be "tough" enough? Probably. I just think that for travelling on subway and bus, the Combi has an advantage because it folds up smaller, that's all.

I really see that everyone has their own opinion on all of these things. For instance, I don't consider an all-terrain stroller a "must" for living in the city. My Zippy has served me well, and I imagine other comporable strollers (Waltz, Swing, p3, etc) would as well. But there are a lot of people on this board who feel an A.T. stroller is essential for city life and buy a P3 to keep in the car. Sooooo....basically it all comes down to two strollers, three opinions (or something like that). I think it's probably best if you start off with one stroller, and then re-evaluate after you get an idea how much you'll be using public transportation.

As for the infant car seat, I assume that you won't be travelling home from the hospital via subway, so you will need one to get in the taxi. Again, that's something else to evaluate....do you travel by taxi frequently? If no, then I wouldn't buy one JUST for the trip home from the hospital. Try to borrow from someone,a nd then you can try to determine how much you'll be using taxis. If you will be buying one, you can ask over in the car seat forum about which ones are good to use without a base. Just a side note: I've had the tightest installation using the Combi Tyro without a base in taxis. I've also used a Snugride in cabs, and the Combi is much better.

JustMare
07-19-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm on the UES and just about to purchase my FOURTH stroller! I have a Jeep Urban Liberty that I use at my weekend house in PA. It's too long and cumbersome to use in the city. You won't fit anywhere - trust me. I love it for the dirt roads of the country. Great for outdoor events like fairs, carnivals, apple picking, etc...

I have a Maclaren Quest that I too don't love. I mainly keep it in the car for when I need a lightweight stroller, but to use everyday I hate it. Too light, too tippy.

I just retired a 2004 Zippy that I loved dearly. It was my son's favorite stroller. It went to Disneyworld with us and on a cruise. It was the best stroller for him from birth to 17 months. Being a New Yorker who walks everywhere, I wore out the wheels and the canopy broke. But I got LOTS of use out of the stroller. I literally wore it out.

I'm now about to purchase a Maclaren Techno XT. I like the handling on it and I like the larger wheels. My son's getting older and the added weight of the Zippy I'm starting to feel after several miles so it will be nice to downsize. I just can't use the Quest everyday. It's not built as strong for major walks as the Techno is - maybe it's the wheels that make the difference.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still get the Zippy. It's offers much more support for an infant than the Maclaren's and my son loved hanging on the bar.

Good luck and regardless what you go with, your'll still have stroller envy - it never goes away!

Mare

dules
07-19-2005, 09:05 PM
You've gotten some good advice. I would just add that I respectfully disagree with the Fields' recommendation of the Zydeco if space or weight are an issue *at all*, or if you plan to take the stroller indoors, even just to grab a carton of milk or a lottery ticket. It is a wonderful stroller (I loved mine) but it is HUGE, and heavy, even when folded.

Best,
Mary

P.S. I live 10 miles outside the city, and have an MBUS (2004 version - 19 lbs) and a Zippy. Love them both and don't think you could go wrong with either.

hobokenmom
07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
and my third child just turned one so I've been through a lot of strollers. I think you're making a wise choice to go with a zippy. I've been using a P3 for my son, and I'm extremely happy with it.

I started out with a Phil and Ted's E3 explorer, and I'm sure I'll still use it a lot in the winter when there is lots of snow. You can't beat the air tires for getting through those unshoveled sidewalks. However, if this is your first child, you won't necessarily have to go out in the snow until the sidewalks are pretty clear. I have to take two older kids to/from school every day.

One of my pet peeves here in Hoboken is that there are so many moms strolling around with their infants in infant carseats and snap n gos. This is a walking town, and there is no reason to keep your baby in the infant car seat for that long. If you do a search you can see all the posts about plagiocephaly and infant car seats. I did have a borrowed snap n go, which was great when I was DRIVING somewhere and had to run errands, but I didn't used it everyday. Your baby will be much happier in a P3 or a Zippy, lying close to flat.

One of my close friends who just had her 4th child two months ago has been just using a snap n go/infant car seat and also a baby bjorn, and I'm sure that baby is out all day most days. Her pediatrician just told her that she really needs to work on her baby's head/neck and changing position because her head is getting flat on one side

Good luck with everything. You definitely need to join the Hoboken Family Alliance. Go to hobokenfamily.com for more info.

songbird3
07-20-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm due late October too. We haven't bought a thing! I have been offered a Bugaboo as a gift. And so far, I think I will love everything about it except the weight.
I live in a walk-up on the second floor, and I am concerned that it will be too heavy for me to haul around. Everything else though seems great!
I have been considering the Maclaren and the Zippy as alternatives.
Does anyone have an opinion?
Good luck all!
D

Deborah_Hogan
07-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Volo! Eventually...

I'm a native New Yorker and now a NYC suburbanite.

For me, weight and small compact fold was everything. Whether in NYC or in suburbs, I frequently have to take child out, fold stroller, walk down flight of stairs (buses, subways, stores with stairs in front, museums, beach sand, etc.)then replace child. With the Volo (outfitted with saddle bags and Maclaren organizer so I don't need a separate diaper bag to take in and out) I can sling stroller over shoulder with built in strap and carry child and stroller. At 9.6 lbs it is easy to lift in and out of car--or onto luggage racks over your head. And there is a surprisingly stuffable basket.

I've read posts by many on these boards who love the Quest, and I can't understand why: I never considered the Quest simply becaues of the added weight (13lbs?) and size and no strap. You may be carrying stroller and child.

For newborn, I'd do car seat and car seat accomodating stroller, even if heavier (you won't be zipping around town for a while anyway), becaues that way you can use cabs with car seat (it frightens me to see unrestrained infants in cabs) when needed, then stroll child and car seat, or if you are walking, just use the stroller. The Volo won't be okay until child can sit up.

sarnacle
07-27-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks, all, for your feedback! I am still deciding... but am definitely taking your suggestions into consideration. Luckily, I have very generous friends and am borrowing a car seat (thanks for that tip!) and the universal carseat carrier. I don't have to put out any money while I do research and see how I use the wheels! If any of you have any more advice, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Sarah