PDA

View Full Version : rally twin or other lightweight double??

JenaW
07-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Number three is on the way (due in early Dec) and with three under three (DS is 2 and DD is 9 mos) I am freaking about the stroller situation. I currently have an e3 which I use nearly daily and LOVE. HOw I wish they made a triple! But with the addition of a third car seat we will need to put the third row back in our Mazda MPV (the older version, not the newer minivan) which precludes lugging my e3 around. A new car is not in the works until DH finishes residency (in June). So I need something lightweight and smaller that I can use regularly in the car. I wish we could afford a triple, but I can not see DH shelling out another $300+ for a new stroller since we paid that barely a year ago for our e3.

SO - do you think the Mac Rally twin would work for me (most likely my 2 yo and 9 mos old would ride and I would sling the baby, or the baby and 9 mos old would ride and DS will walk. My one concern is losing the car seat option, especially since the baby is due in the winter. The rally doesn't have a boot or anything either, does it?

ANy suggestions?
thanks!

Jera

Mom to Carter (05.13.03) & Madigan (09.28.04)
Baby number 3 due in December

JodiM
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
I have never tried the Rally Twin, but have the Duette (older model) and I had the Twin Traveller.
Both are great stroller, easy to push, and smaller fold, which is always a plus.

I also have a Inglesina Twin Swift which does really well with 2 kids of different sizes in it. You really shouldn't use it until baby is about 3-6 mo (depending on your child) but if you plan to sling, that's shouldn't be a problem

Congratulations!

sobers3
07-18-2005, 07:58 PM
I was able to fit the E3V2 behind the third row of the Mazda MPV. I can also fit the MBUD there also! Since you love the stroller so much, I would give it a try. Also, the wheels will come off for a more compact fit. GL Mary

heatherlynn
07-18-2005, 08:12 PM
How about a Combi Twin? There is one on Swap for a really good price (not mine). I think you can unofficially use a car seat with it, too. It's lightweight and the fold is small. I generally don't like Combis, but I test drove the Twin and was really surprised by how much I liked it.

You could also get a good used double on Swap. Or sell your E3 (blasphemy, I know!), and invest in a triple. Or how about a Valco Twin w/ toddler seat? I think you can use a car seat with that, but not with the toddler seat (not sure, though).

Also, wanted to let you know that DH will be finishing his residency in June, also. And I saw from your profile that you're in Pgh - DH went to med school there. Are you still there? We used to live in Shadyside.

Good luck and congrats!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

amp
07-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Wow Jera - We haven't seen you around in awhile! Congratulations on #3! It's good to see you bearing good news upon your return!

JenaW
07-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Do you have the older version MPV?? I think mine is a 97 or 98. How did you get it to fit (i..e wheels up or down, in or out). Did you always hvae to take the wheels off? That seems like a PITA!! I WOULD love to figure out a way to get it in there. It seems like we did once, but I can't figure out how to do it again.
THanks!!
Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

JenaW
07-19-2005, 12:05 PM
SELL MY e3????? That IS blasphemy! I do not know how I could live without it. Seriously though.....I have thought about the valco, but DH would croak if I spent taht much money...unless I got a REALLY good deal. I haven't looked at the combi at all....maybe I should check that one out. Is it cheaper than the maclaren?

When did your DH graduate from Pitt? Maybe they were in the same class. Mine finished in 2002. He did his internship (a transitional year in medicine) in Rochester, NY (we have family there) and we are back in PIttsburgh for his anesthesia residency. We live in Churchill now (near Monroeville). We lived in an apartment in Shadyside on Alder Street (near Buffalo Blues) when we first got married.

Jera

JenaW
07-19-2005, 12:06 PM
yeah! Unfortunately I am finding it harder and harder to get internet time. My two year old really acts up when I am on the computer. And when they nap, I nap. This pregnancy is REALLY tiring me out! (Or maybe it is the two little ones I am chasing around :) )

Thanks for the congrats!

Jera

sbeck212
07-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I have 3 under 3 as well. We have the valco double with the toddler seat which I adore!! I take it in the car when I need to but it is heavy and I need to pop off the wheels or toddler seat to get it in the easiest. It isn't hard to do. It cost ~ $600 (with toddler seat and sun canopy- I can let you know where if you want) and was worth every penny. The other option is to get a sit to stand (by litaf) to attach to the back of the maclaren (we did that, too) or another double- that also has to be taken off before folding but it relatively easy.

Good luck and email with any stroller questions.

Jordana
Mom of
Daniel 5/17/02
Jacob 4/9/04
Zachary 4/9/04

catfeet
07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
I have a Rally Twin & I really like it. Simple, easy, lightweight, small. It's my car stroller. The one that stays there just for shopping. And, it reclines nearly flat for newborns!

HTH,
Ann

heatherlynn
07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Hi Jera,

Sorry I'm just getting back to you, but we were out of town for a few days. Anyway, DH graduated in 2003, so I'm sure they know each other. One of our good friends is doing his residency in anesthesiology at Pitt. I believe he did his trans. year there also. We lived at the Village of Shadyside when we were there, so just down the street from where you were. My DH still misses the Buffalo Wings from Buffalo Blues! And I'm so wishing I could get a Mineo's White Pizza!

And to keep this stroller related - how about one of those new Compass Twin strollers that are coming out in September? I believe it's sort of like a Marco Sky. I think you can see them on the Target website.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

chiqanita
07-21-2005, 09:27 PM
We have the Mac Twin Traveler....love it but it does have narrow seat compartments. I also have the Graco tandem...which has held up well and is roomier...it does creak a little now from all our walks around the neighborhood. I did check out the Combi double and didn't like how it folded down like a book...too big for my needs. I was tempted to get the Peg Duette but couldn't see my self lugging that large thing in and out of my van...a little on the heavy side but has large roomy seats...expensive, too. I just ordered the Combi umbrella type strollers to use for travel...hear good things about them overall.

Good luck with your decision.

sobers3
07-22-2005, 06:59 AM
My DS has a newer Mazda, but a Windstar around the same year as your Mazda and a similar design. I don't have the E3 any longer, but the times we put it in, I'm sure the wheels had to be up since it was so tight back there. HTH Mary

JenaW
07-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Mmmmm - buffalo blues wings. They have the best homemade blue cheese and I LOVE their margaritas.....

Thanks for the recommendation on the Compass Tandem. I have never heard of that brand, but it looks neat and I like the idea that it can accomodate a car seat. Since I am not due until Dec, hopefully it will be out and I can see it IRL. The price is definitely a plus too!

Jera