PDA

View Full Version : Chariot Caddie

tammytaylor
07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
I am looking for some opinions on the Chariot Caddie Bike Trailer. I've seen good feedback on the Cougar. The Caddie is apparently the "economical" way to go, but I don't want to buy something that lacks in quality. Has anyone purchased it that can give me some advice?

BTW, I am not planning on off-roading with the trailer. I just want to cruise the paved bike trails.

Mom to 9-month old DS

kellyotn
07-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Check out www.joggingstroller.com (been recommending them a lot lately, I have no affiliation, I promise!).

I have a Cougar 2 that I just got. If I recall, the main differences were the Caddie has plastic wheels vs. spoked ones and no suspension. For paved trails, not a biggie. Regardless, joggingstroller.com spells out ALL the differences.

I have the strolling, biking and jogging kits. So far, I'm in love with them all! The kids are very comfy too! (2.5 years and 11 months. The youngest sleeps a-ok which was my main worry before I bought it).

HTH a bit,
kelly

hipmaman
07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm sure the Caddie made after 2003 can be used as a trailer or a walking stroller with a smaller, swivelling stroller wheel attached at the end of the trailer arm. The Caddie Walking Kit is sold separately with the wheel and handle, etc. Caddies before 2003 was only bike trailer and couldn't be converted into anything else.

Other bike trailers by Chariot, other than the Caddie, can be converted into other modes such as walking/strolling, jogging, hiking, skiing, etc. by buying different sport kits.

You are not compromising in terms of quality and safety if you choose the Caddie. But if you want to use this trailer for jogging, then you can't add the big, fixed jogging wheel at the front.

kellyotn
07-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Whoops. joggingstroller.com doesn't have the Caddie! Sorry. But their sister company does http://www.bicycletrailers.com/chariot-caddie.shtml

Like Tam pointed out that you won't be able to use the jogger wheel and the walking kit isn't as nice as a Cheetah or Cougar. I love love love the walking kit, and have even (gasp!) taking to light jogging because I love the jogging wheel too. ;-)

But, if these options aren't of interest, I'd say the Caddie would be just fine.

heatherbm2000
07-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Wondering what you ended up deciding to do. I'm also trying to decide between the two. I don't need a jogger (already have one), but would potentially use the skiing kit. Has anyone tried that? Also, the Cougar looked more comfy, but the Caddie has more storage. Can't decide!

hipmaman
07-24-2005, 10:42 PM
You cannot convert the Caddie to hiking, jogging, skiing. The Cougar and others can.

tammytaylor
07-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Great feedback. I am going to REI this weekend to do some comparison shopping. My DH said that he looked at them and liked the look of the Cougar better because it wasn't as wide and the tires weren't plastic. I need to look at them closely myself. I also need to decide if the extra money is worth the value.

I already have a fantastic jogging stroller (Zooper Boogie), so I am speculating that I won't need the conversion really.

I'll repost once I've looked at them side by side and let you know what happens.

Tammy

hipmaman
07-26-2005, 09:28 PM
There is a Cougar in excellent condition with all the strappings that might still be for sale on Strollerswap right now. The mom selling it is a well known member on this board as well as Strollerswap. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/message/70457

heatherbm2000
07-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Just wanted to say that we ended up choosing the cougar 2 and love it so far (we've just taken one ride with it). I thought the suspension was key - we were only on paved roads and paths, but there were still some relatively rough patches that were made smooth. Very nice!

kellyotn
07-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Yeah! Its so nice isn't it? I love the suspension. I adjust it for walking vs. running/biking. So cool!

tammytaylor
08-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Well, I went to REI this past weekend and checked out what they did have in stock. The can order the Caddie, but did not have one in stock. The cougar is very popular and the staff recommended this as the best converting traier made.

However, they also showed me the Burley and started to persuade me that if I am not interested in all of the conversions that Burley solo is the way to go for only $50 more.

I stll haven't made up my mind on this one...too many choices. Does anyone have the burley solo? Is there any room for storing items?

More thoughts on this one???
Tammy

kellyotn
08-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Burley or a Chariot. They are both extremely popular and hold their value for re-sale. ;-)

I always figured we'd get a Burley, as it was all we see in our neck of the woods. But, when I started looking into it and decided we wanted a combo unit, the Cougar 2 was the best choice for us. I'm very very happy with it. Love the suspension! I've walked with it daily for a month and have no complaints. I even (gasp!) have jogged, it has inspired me so. ha ha.

The storage isn't great, but there's a rack you can buy for the top. (I don't really need to store much so it isn't a problem for us.) They bring along a lot of toys/books, but that's it. You could easily put a soft cooler/lunch box at their feet and misc small items in the back pouch. I can also put my sling style diaper bag across the handlebars.

I was told the Burley was a better choice for storage, but I don't really have specifics for you on how or why. Not terribly helpful huh?

Did they say the storage on the caddie is similar to the models you could see in the store?

tammytaylor
08-03-2005, 02:18 PM
That is terrific that you have taken the Cougar out for a jog. Good equipment should be inspiring and motivating. Thus, my excitement about the trailer.

I need basic storage, like for a few groceries if I run to the store on my bike. Honestly, either model should be sufficient whether I store with the kid or in back.

I'm not sure about the storage on the caddie because I haven't been able to view an actual model. I know that the specs claim its storage space.

Off to the store again in the next day or two. We'll see how I end up.

tammytaylor
08-10-2005, 12:40 PM
SO...I bought the Burley Solo.

There is good storage behind the seat. Perfect for what I need.

It was very easy to attach to my bike and we love it so far.

Thanks for the input.
Tammy