PDA

View Full Version : Which Maclaren for 2nd stroller - Triumph? Quest? Ryder? Techno??

Choccie
05-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi Ladies... I'm in desperate need of some advice. I have a 12 month old son and our first (and so far only) stroller is a Bugaboo Frog, which we love, love, love. Now we find ourselves heading up to Canada for a 5 day trip to the in-laws and want a more compact stroller so it will fit easily into their car along with all our luggage etc!

I'm pretty sure we want to go with Maclaren after reading all the great reviews on this site. The Triumph seems to be the ideal travel stroller from a weight perspective but DS is not walking yet and will likely spend a fair amount of time in the stroller so I want it to be super comfy and good for napping if the need arises. I was able to check out the Quest IRL and it didn't seem much different than the Triumph, but in the same store I also spied the Techno and it just seemed so much better than any of the other Macs, but of course it's heavier and maybe a bit bulkier?

Help! My head is exploding trying to figure out which way to go!! Any advice would be appreciated. I probably need to order the stoller online this weekend to make sure it's delivered in time.

Thanks!
Choccie

MarieBunny
05-03-2006, 01:21 PM
If I were you, I'd go for the Techno. I don't have a Mac. I have a Silver Cross Mini which is comparable to a Triumph. Now that my DS is bigger (22 months and 32 lbs), I am wishing for some of the comfort features that the Techno has, extendable footrest, extendable handlebars, full canopy with UV protection. The Triumph has a really shallow seat. If I could do it over again, I would have gotten that one. That said, it does weigh a few more pounds so if weight is a primary concern, maybe try the lighter ones. I was steering a Techno the other day at BRU and was drooling! You can find good deals on the 2005 models still. The Ryder does look pretty nice too!

shilo
05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
hi choccie,

another frog lover here. we just bought a mac quest for our 'travel stroller' for our recent trip to boston, with help from the stroller savvy members of the board (if you do a search, you'll see several threads about a month back on my search and then later, my findings). after using the quest on our trip, i can tell you two things. 1) i am really happy with my quest purchase as a travel stroller. 2) i will always choose the frog over the quest for most of my day to day stroller use at this point. here are some details:

1) the quest is great for what it is - an umbrella stroller. for your needs it would probably be ideal. folds small for your trip, has adaquate recline for napping, has the extendable leg rest (which the triumph does not have - which may not seem like a big deal for shorter trips, but i was happy to have it when DS fell asleep in the stroller/we were out for several hours at a time a few times in boston), and really does push better fully loaded than anything else in the umbrella stroller category that i tried (and i tried pretty much all of the major brands) and can be steered one handed long enough to drink a bottle of water, etc. that said, the basket is small, it will tip on you if you hang something off of the handlebars and take your DC out without removing it and after having the suspension on the frog - you will feel every little bump and hole in the ground coming up thru the handlebars. i think some people prefer the techno for the bigger wheels/smoother ride, but it is quite a bit heavier. given that your intent for this stroller is similar to mine - a travel stroller, i think you'd probably be happier with the lighter quest?? i can totally understand if the techno will be your everyday stroller, but for a short trip/travel stroller, weight might be more important to you?

2) i have used the quest 2x since i've been home for boston, over the frog, now that it is an option in my 'arsenal'. once when i had four 5 minute errands to run at one time and i thought it might be easier to use the quest than setting up the frog each time. the second time was for going up to the city with a friend who had a graco quatro and we were sharing my car - which has a generous cargo area - but not quite generous enough for that monster graco and the frog :). otherwise, i still much prefer the frog. more comfortable to push/ride in, he tolerates it for longer stretches, better stability and storage, etc.

hope that helps,
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

BellaGirl
05-03-2006, 01:46 PM
We have a Quest and since breaking it out (almost a year ago) we have had little use (or patience) for our other strollers! It's not the best one handed...but the ease of use/fold/light-weight can't be beat. It's only drawback is that it can't handle "off-roading"...but that's not the function of a light-weight umbrella stroller.

Best of luck choosing...

Queensgirl
05-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Most parents that I see here (NYC) have the Bugaboo/Quest combo.
As PPs mentioned, it's a great travel stroller with extendable legrests and recline (more so than the Triumph).
If you can (and haven't done so already), try them out with your son-I'm sure he'll let you know which one he prefers. The Techno seems redundant if you already have the Bugaboo, but if you really miss the suspension of the Bugaboo and don't mind the extra weight (about 4lbs more than the Quest), then go for it (the 2006s have a great hood which the Quest is in dire need of- you'll probably need a RayShade if you go with the Quest).

As a side note, Inglesina makes 2 travel strollers which seem pretty nice (the Trip-comparable to the Quest but with a cupholder and the Swift-comparable to the Triumph):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/542444/3/ref=br_ppmr_3/103-7492416-9338238?

-Karina

RuthV
05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
we have a quest & absolutely love it! it's a great umbrella stroller -- folds compactly, light, easy to get in & out of the car. both girls have been comfortable in it. my younger dd has been able to ride in it since she was about 4 months old. loved it so much we bought the mac sbs -- i think it was the TT, but ended up returning it as i'm short & the handles were a bit too tall for me.

the only down sides to the quest is that the basket is pretty inaccessible & no cup holders for parent or child -- but it's an umbrella. you wouldn't get that with any other umbrella.

Choccie
05-04-2006, 12:51 PM
OMG...THANK YOU LADIES!! You've all been so helpful - I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know your experiences. So it looks like the Quest is the front-runner and I'm sure that's the one I should order...so why am I still even thinking about the techno??!!

I don't think I'm going to get chance to run down to BRU again this week, and my DS was most uncooperative last weekend - refusing to sit in any of the strollers. Mind you, he did throw up everywhere in the car right after so I assume it was tummy ache and not the Maclarens that were causing him distress! In my very brief testing (minus baby in the seat) the techno seemed to steer more smoothly than the Quest - was it all in my imagination? From looking at the specs online, it seems that the Quest & Techno are about the same size when folded, but when the sales guy showed me how to close the Techno it really seemed very bulky - although I got the feeling he had no idea what he was doing!

Has anyone compared the Quest and Techno side by side in folded form? Is the difference minor, or fairly substantial?

On a side note, anyone know if the Wisteria color is more lilac or if it's blue enough to be unisex?

Queensgirl
05-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Not sure about the difference when folded, although the footprint(?)-width, is noticeable IMO. The Quest feels & looks narrower. On the color issue, if you want a gender-specific color then don't go with the Wisteria. It's a lovely color IRL, but I've seen many girls (and no boys) in that particular stroller. It looks more girlish to me. The Marina is snazzy and more of a unisex (definitely works for a boy) color.
I personally like the looks and colors of last year's model (this year they look a little space-agey).

momofjoshuanlogan
05-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I also looked at both. I decided on the techno xt because: the wheels are bigger(therefore easier to push), the hood protects more and the seat seemed bigger and more plush(but I have a 4yo and a 7yo). I also found a great price 164$. I did compare the techno xt and the quest sbs. The techno is a few inches longer(when folded).It is also bulkier because the hood is so much bigger and it is more padded.
So you have to decide what is most important to you and how you will use it.
Have fun shopping. Feel free to ask me more questions and I will try to help.:-)
Karen

pampamz
05-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Sigh...this is my ultimate question too and unfortunately no stores in my area carry much selection in Macs. I think the Quest is my best bet due to its weight, but always look lovingly at the Techno.
I also really like the look of the Ryder but noone seems to have much experience/reviews on it. Maybe that is a red flag?
Let us know what you decide!

haraldsworth
05-04-2006, 07:13 PM
These were the same options that I looked at when I needed a second stroller. I finally decided on the Techno because of the additional features and I LOVE it. It is now my primary stroller.

I bought the 2005 model in Crimson at albeebaby.com for $165 with free shipping. Cannnot beat that deal.

Sarah
mom to Bennett

Choccie
05-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Thank you ladies - the info has all been so helpful! I'm 95% sure I'm going to order the Techno this weekend. I know, I know - the Quest makes more sense for travel, but for some reason I'm worried that the steering on the Quest (and feeling every bump in the road) is going to have me grumbling. It looks like the Techno is only slightly bigger than the Quest and the price is so great right now on the 2005 models that I think it's worth the risk.

So now back to the color question...has anyone else seen the Wisteria or Cornflower color IRL? The strollers all look to be the same color on the web sites! I'm not sure if Marina is too boring...anyone have this color and love it?

strollerqueen
05-05-2006, 09:59 PM
I have a picture of the new Inglesina Urbe' on the Home page of Strollerswap. That is their latest. I just posted that I think it is a good alternative to the Techno, lol! It is so stinkin' pretty!

strollerqueen
05-05-2006, 10:04 PM
They're all very similar, just slight shade variations. One thing else to consider is that the Techno handles are very high. At 5'4", they felt a little uncomfortable for me. But if you are taller, then you will love it.

Choccie
05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
Strollerqueen...just when I thought I had it all figured out! I didn't really pay attention to the handle height since I was so focused on weight & folded size but I'm only 5' 4 (on a good day...lol!) Thanks SO MUCH for mentioning it.

Today I was able to run down to BRU and all the stars and planets aligned since my DS fell asleep in the car and I was able to leave him AND my spouse in the car while I went into take a closer look at the Quest and Techno. They had a really big selection of Maclarens, including a 2005 Techno in Marina. For anyone else wondering about the color, it really was quite muted and nice - much more subdued than I pictured in my mind. Very much a greyish blue, nothing crazy.

Anyway, I folded the 2005 Techno and 2006 Quest, and laid them sbs, picked them up and walked around a bit (with them folded), etc. I was surprised that the Techno felt so much heavier than the Quest, especially since there's only a couple of pounds difference. Then I opened up both strollers again and put them both in full recline mode sbs. The Techno does look like it reclines slightly further, but this might be an optical illusion since the canopy on the Techno is so much bigger - ie, the reclining seat seems so much further back from the front edge of the canopy on the Techno, compared to the Quest. Also the sides on the Techno seem much deeper (again, maybe the hood) giving a more cocooned feeling to the reclined stroller vs. the Quest. In any case, the recline on the Quest seems more than adequate for napping for my 12 month old. Next I gave the padding a good patting down on both strollers - the Techno is definitely more padded but you can still feel the stroller frame through the fabric if you press with your hand - so not a big advantage over the Quest.

The one annoying thing on both strollers was the canopy needed to be re-attached after they had been folded and unfolded. In the case of the Techno, I somehow trapped my finger while I was doing this - and got a nice deep cut with lots of blood all over the place. I'm sure it was just me trying to attach it really quickly, but it was pretty annoying and I could just imagine doing exactly the same again when I'm rushing to get the stroller set up when we get off the plane.

So....maybe it was the blood, or maybe the weight, or maybe the nice foam handles on the Quest...but I've done a 180 on the Quest since yesterday. I'm just wondering though if the weight differnce isn't so noticable once you add the rayshade to the Quest (probably adds another pound?) I wish the price difference was massive so that would help make the decision easier but it seems like only about $20 difference (Quest $149 + $17 rayshade, Techno $189).

Anyway, I just wanted to report back on my findings for those of you out there going through the same delima. I promise to post again when I get the final choice delivered and put to use!

Cheers,
Choccie

pampamz
05-08-2006, 07:54 AM
When you say the canopy had to be re-attached...??? Does it snap off completely? I don't get it. These Macs and their hood issues!
Thanks for the thorough investigative report. I am in the same boat as you right now.
Let us know what you decide!

Choccie
05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes - the canopy can be snapped off the frame at each side. I guess it's a nice option for people who don't need it since it would cut down the bulk of the stroller considerably when folding. Unfortunately, since I live in Los Angeles, I can't imagine ever using a stroller with no canopy!

Anyway, back to my adventure on Saturday - after unfolding the Techno, the hood had come unclipped from the frame at one side. It did seem fairly secure once I snapped it back in place, but I'm fairly sure the Quest did the same thing on my first quick test of the strollers. I had to push quite hard to re-attach the canopy clip to the frame, and somewhere in that process I trapped my finger :-(

Well, today is Monday and I MUST ORDER A MACLAREN TODAY else it won't be here in time for our trip...I think I might just flip a coin and see what happens. The Quest seems more than adequate for our needs, but the Techno is such a good price that I almost can't help myself...lol!

daniele_ut
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I just wanted to chime in and let you know that I've had my Techno for 19 months now and have never had to reattach the canopy after folding and unfolding. Perhaps this was just a problem with the floor models. We have really loved our Techno!

carolines mommy
05-08-2006, 03:28 PM
I've had my Techno for only 6 months now but have never had the hood accidentally pop off. When I travelled with it, I took the hood off and put it in the suitcase with the seat insert to shave weight off for the trip through the airport. Then I put it in the travel bag I bought for my P3 to protect it in the belly of the plane. Worked great! I love my Techno and it has become my primary single stroller over my P3.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

Choccie
05-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks - that's good to know. The canopies on the floor models at BRU probably take quite a beating!

Erika - what travel bag do you use for your stroller? Do you have the Maclaren one?

carolines mommy
05-09-2006, 09:40 PM
I use the stroller bag I have for my P3, it is a Peg travel bag.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05