PDA

View Full Version : Like a MBUS but not the $$$ for grandparents' house

niccig
05-04-2006, 03:23 PM
When we visit my folks in Australia we take our MBUS - perfect for all the off-roading we do there. The hassle is getting it there, it can't be gatechecked (too big for QANTAS/Air NZ), so it goes with the checked luggage in the MB travel bag. With all the other luggage we take, sometimes scuba gear too, it's just too much, especially as we can't use it at the airport. So, I'm thinking of buying a 3-wheeled stroller, and leaving it at my parents on our next visit. I don't want to spend a lot of $$ as it'll get used about 4 weeks a year. Is there another 3-wheeled swivel stroller that can handle unpaved roads and the beach, and is about the size of the MBUS - has to fit in trunk of civic honda hatchback and the MBUS just fit.

I'll also check out craigslist etc for a seconhand stroller - so give me names of what could work for us. Oh, you would think it would be cheaper to buy one in Australia but MBUS go for about $600 Australian and second hand aren't much cheaper there.

Thanks,
Nicci

momofjoshuanlogan
05-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Was it just a one time experience that they would not gatecheck the MBUS or do they have a policy/weight limit. I have traveled with my MBUD in the US and I have never had a problem gatechecking it. We are going to Europe in 2 weeks. I bought a techno xt to take. But now dh is considering taking the MBUD.
Karen

niccig
05-04-2006, 03:54 PM
No, it's their policy. Different airlines have different rules. Just call the airline you're travelling with and ask, especially if it's an international airline, that is not US based.

I think we could have taken the stroller to the gate on departure but we wouldn't get it back at our stopover or at the gate at our destination. It would be with the rest of the luggage at baggage claim, so we choose to check it from the beginning as that way we could have it wraped up in the travel bag - it still got a good scrape on the bag and on part of the frame.

The only problem with the Moutain Buggies is the size. I think for Europe, a smaller stroller would be much better, especially if you're doing a lot of sight-seeing. Think croweded museums, stores etc.

american_mama
05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Sorry for the links within links, but there are great prices on Baby Joggers at overstock.com:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=73480&mesg_id=73480&page=