PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight stroller for travel w/ recline

sassafrassdc
05-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi all.

We're traveling several times this summer with DS who is now 19 months. Looking for a travel stroller that is very lightweight, since trips will involve lots of stairs. (Can't cross major streets in Ukraine without going through a stair-ed underpass!)

DS is used to taking some naps in his Zippy, (which is too much stroller for this trip) and we hope he'll be able to do the same on the trips, so we need some recline.

Other wish list items:

-- one hand push isn't too bad
-- sun shade that does a good job
-- won't break the bank
-- won't completely die on cobblestoned streets

I'm intrigued by the Cosmo, but not sure if it's put together well enough? Other Combis? Or Macs?

Thanks!
Jess

AddiesMom
05-06-2006, 06:33 PM
I have a Cosmo that I use only for travel. With the larger wheels I think it will do fine on the streets. I added a 'ray shade' to mine, costs $15 at BRU and One Step Ahead, and just used it last weekend for the first time and liked it. I use a Mac Techno for everyday which is my favorite, but the Cosmo folds small and has a carrying strap so it is much easier to travel with. Plus it takes up less room in the car.

Edit- The Cosmo is a little on the short side so test drive it first!

sassafrassdc
05-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Michelle.

I'm a little on the short side, too : ) so it may be a good fit! I'll give it a test drive if I can!

hautemama15
05-07-2006, 07:58 AM
a friend of mine had the Combi Savvy Soho DX and loved it. Don't know if it is still available, but it was great for travel and had very nice recline.

dhano923
05-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I've been using a Triumph with DS since he was 12 months old for quick errands and traveling. It's easy to push, and has a recline so he can nap (partial recline, not full). Plus it's lightweight (11? lbs) and has a carry strap so you can sling it over your shoulder if needed. Not sure how it would do on cobblestone streets but it did pretty well on some dirt roads in Malaysia.

sophdog33
05-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi, I did a ton of research for our travel stroller - we will be going to Europe this summer and needed exactly what you mentioned. I was looking at the Chicco C5 and the Combi Cosmo but went with the Chicco because the wheels are rubber and not plastic and are bigger and can handle the rugged streets over there better and more smoothly. The Chicco C5 is also less than $100 - mine should be arriving tomorrow -I can't wait to see it! Anyways try to go to a stroller store in your area and ask to test it outside on the sidewalks with DC in it, diaper bag strapped on , etc... that will give you a good idea of what you need.

tigeratty
05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
We have a combi savy soho. I don't love it for every day, but we took it to NYC and it did the trick. It has a built in strap, which was great for public transportation, it is light, and it did great on the uneven streets. It has a big canopy. I will say it has never been quite the same since, though, after I took it apart to wash everything. Also it has no cupholer, dinky basket and doesn't have umbrella handles so you can't hang stuff. My diaper bag would drag on the ground if it was full and heavy. My son was 10 months old at the time, so I had to carry baby food which really weighed down my diaper bag. Another thing on the plus side is that it is not tippy at all, even with a heavy diaper bag.

You can get one pretty cheap on ebay (new) if you go that route. You might consider a skip hop with it.

I have alsoheard good about the combi tuscany for travelon this board, as well as the Maclaren Volo.

I commend you for traveling with your toddler. Mine is around the same age, and I'm not planning any big trips this summer!

Joolsplus2
05-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Be sure to tell us if you love the C5...I'm really on the hunt for something this summer!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

sophdog33
05-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Well my Chicco C5 arrived today and it's great! I tested it out with DD and she seemed fine in it. It seems very sturdy for an umbrella stroller. It self-locks when you fold it, and the recline is pretty good, and it seems sturdy and handles pretty well. My only concern is for the sun shade - perhaps too small, but overall pretty nice.

The reviews I had read about the C5 mentioned a big downfall which was the 'flimsy' seat - well Chicco has corrected that issue and it is not longer a problem - there is a big thick metal or plastic strip down the middle so the 'slouching' won't occur in the models out there right now.

I definately can't wait to use it in Europe.

I got the Alaska color -red and grey - cute!!!

Joolsplus2
05-11-2006, 11:40 AM
cooooool!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

maavernon
05-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi I just bought the Combi Cosmo. I was looking for a lightweight umbrella style that folds smaller than my P3 for travelling to Italy this summer.

After doing a little bit of research and testing them out in the stores I decided to go with the Combi. I definitely recommend trying them out. My main concern was comfort and recline. Most of the cheaper lightweight compact strollers seem to have a hard board for the back and/or seat, which seemed quite uncomfortable to me. I liked that it folded pretty small, not as long as the Macs and the Chiccos. And I liked the padding on the seat AND it reclines all the way. Most of the others that are within it's price range and a bit higher only reclined a little bit - I was only looking at reclining strollers. I also liked that the sun shade is pretty big.

I went back to the store to stroll around a bit more, once I read that most people kick the wheels before I purchased. I'm only 5'3" but I did have platform type sandals on and I did kick it a few times, but I thought I could live with that.

I don't know what you finally decided on, but I wasn't too impressed with any of the Chiccos that I saw at BRU. Good Luck!