PDA

View Full Version : When does a slung DC like the stroller? (sorry, kinda long)

maestramommy
05-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Okay, first a little background: I wore DD in a sling for the first 4 months because we never decided on a stroller before she was born, and didn't break down and get the Snap n Go until it was clear the caresat was getting stupid heavy. Also, DD was small, so actually a sling was very convenient. Now: This isn't really a problem yet, but DD has a varied amount of time she will tolerate her stroller. When I take her for a walk she will sit for about 2 1/2 laps around the park (1 lap is almost a mile) before she starts to fuss, but on a bad day I won't get more than 1 1/2 laps. If I take her to the mall, I can get as far as into one dept store and up the elevator before she starts to get restless. I used to think it was the Snap n Go because she's not crazy about her carseat either. But she's been in the regular stroller for a couple of months now (Zooper Waltz) and I think that's a lot more comfy. I have to bring my sling everywhere because I know that at some point she will want out. So far she's not too heavy yet, and the sling works well. Maybe too well. As long as she's slung she'll be quiet (as in totally silent) for a very long time. Yesterday she didn't even care that I was standing still while browsing through the racks. She got pretty sleepy and from time to time would lay her head on my chest, but never fussed. In the stroller she would be arching and screaming if she got to that point. I feel a little silly sometimes when I see all the other moms with their DC IN the stroller. Meanwhile mine is being used as a shopping cart LOL! When I go on walks with the other moms their DC's are happy in the stroller (Our babies are around the same age). One mom even suggested not using the sling as a blanket, hoping DD wouldn't think about being slung. I tried that, but she still didn't want to be in the stroller after a while. None of the other moms wear their babies, so is this one of those things you can't compare like bf and ff babies?

DH says she's normal, just doesn't want the same old thing for so long, gets bored, etc. For all you slinging mamas, or slinging/stroller mamas, does this happen to you? Is there a point at which the child would much rather ride in the stroller than be strapped to your hip? Will I be slinging her til she's in Kindergarten? :-) I'm now looking at a carrier that will allow me to wear DD on my back as she gets bigger. BTW, I do like wearing her very much, but she can get heavy at times, and I just think wouldn't she be more comfy stretched out in the stroller?

Susann
05-06-2006, 02:25 PM
My DD wasn't very fond of strollers either. Only after she turned 1 she was really ok. I always started out with the stroller and when she wanted up, I put her in the sling.

I don't think you have to sling her all the way to Kindergarten. As soon as she starts walking, she'll be wanting to walk insead. And that's the time you most likely want her to stay in the stroller, unless you want to spend half the time chasing her instead of shopping.

Susann

Carlasmom
05-06-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm with you! My DD is 8 1/2 months old and also used to being carried in a sling or my Patapum. I have stored her strollers (MBUS+Zapp)in the closet because at this point it really doesn't make any sense to put her in them. She'll want out rather sooner than later and I end up pushing the stroller and carrying her at the same time. She is the happiest baby when carried.

I can only recommend that you buy a two-shouldered carrier. I can wear her in the Patapum for hours!

Wife_and_mommy
05-06-2006, 10:28 PM
My DD was the same way. She could handle the stroller for up to an hour and then wanted to be held. I *always* brought my sling along for those times. It was never a problem to hold her and if I needed to put her down I did. I actually liked slinging her as I counted it as my cuddle time with her since she was always too busy for cuddles.

After she turned a year, I got pg with DS and was very sick so couldn't hold her (my abs were very sensitive) and she did fine.

Bottom line, I would try to just enjoy holding her and continue to take the stroller in case you need to put her down. In just a few months she'll want to walk and not be held and then things will really get hairy....

Another thing you could try is getting a couple new toys for the stroller rides.

hth.

Elizabeth
mommy to DD(April '04) and DS(January '06)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Ohio_Mom
05-07-2006, 06:57 AM
Another idea would be to get a stroller that is reversible so that your baby could face you, and then maybe she would be happier longer. My daughter went through a strong separation anxiety phase from about seven months to a year, and there was no way she would sit in a stroller facing away from me during that time. Eventually the phase passed, and she was fine in a stroller from then on. Now at two years old she begs to ride because she thinks it's fun. But I think it's normal for most babies to go through an anti-stroller phase anyway. But babies with separation anxiety typically do a bit better if they can at least see you when they're riding in a stroller.

But back to the rear-facing thing... You could get one of the reversible strollers (Combi i-Thru, Bumbleride Flyer, I'coo Infinity, any of the Bebecars, Inglesina Magnum, Bugaboo, Quinny Buzz, Quinny Freestyle 4XL, Stokke Xplory) and see if that helps at all.

While some of those strollers are $$$ (Bugaboo, Xplory), several of them are quite affordable. You can find some good deals on the 2005 I-Thrus right now (definitely less than $200), and walmart.com has the Quinny Freestyle for $158. The Flyer and Infinity are both in the $250-$300 range, and the Magnum, Buzz, and Bebecars are in the $400-$500 range.

Anyway, that would be my recommendation.

BeachBum
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM
We sling and stroller.
DS also gets antsy in the stroller. I think being held/slung he can see more and particpate more in what is going on.
That said after about an hour in the sling he gets tired of that too. I always bring both.

I see lots of moms holding their babes and pushing their strollers. Most of them don't babywear, so that must be really tough!

MamaKath
05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
DD was a sling baby and really only liked a stroller she could see me in (reversible seat or handle) until after 1 year. In a reversible stroller she seemed to really like one that had a legrest that stayed up and some kind of a boot to contain her and toys. After a year she still preferred to see me but would tolerate looking out. Her brother was born when she was just over 2.5 and then she didn't mind not seeing me because she had him to look at/play with. ;-)

HTH~

maestramommy
05-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks everybody for your input! Unfortunately, since I've already spent close to $200 for a stroller, the only other stroller I'm going to get at this point is the running stroller. In fact, I originally thought not seeing me would keep DD from wanting out, because in the Snap N Go she could see me all the time. Well, I'll just enjoy this time that she can't run off :-).

Joolsplus2
05-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Same here, mostly. Leah's only really fond of being in the carry cot, so that's her main napping place (that is, we use her carry cot as her crib when she's already sound asleep, but it's way more confining than a stroller seat). She also way prefers her sling to either the snap n go or the mountain buggy (though the mb is way better with a snuzzler-thing in it, so it's really a cozy cocoon). But the stroller has to be moving unless she's sound asleep, or she's bored to tears (literally!).
Clip some toys to the front of the shade for her to look at, but for the most part, cherish your baby loving being on you (seems like only yesterday my 8.5 yo was only happy in HIS sling! trust me, this time goes FAST), and try not to get addicted to all the different slings out there!

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jhrabosk
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
So far, my DD is pretty happy in either stroller or carrier, but we prefer to wear her unless there's a particular need for her to be in the stoller (such as the stroller exercise class I took this weekend!). The babywearing group that I participate in has many members who still wear their toddlers...some don't even own a stroller.

Definitely look into some two-shouldered options: patapum, ergo, mei tais, wraps, etc. We spent around $90 on our Ergo, but we use it daily! It's been worth every penny.

maestramommy
05-08-2006, 10:34 AM
But the stroller has to be
>moving unless she's sound asleep, or she's bored to tears
>(literally!).
Ha ha! I know EXACTLY what you mean :-D

and try not to get
>addicted to all the different slings out there!
At these prices, it's unlikely, but I know what you mean!

maestramommy
05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
We have a baby backpack, but DD's still too little for it. In the meantime I'm looking at the EllaRoo Mayawrap. You can't get any simpler! That's supposed to be my twoshouldered option. I tried it when DD was 2 months old, and I loved it! I'll probably be posting more on this topic in the other forum.

georgiegirl
05-12-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. DD is only 8 weeks old, but she HATES her stroller and car seat. She will only be in the stroller when she's asleep. I already have a pouch and a ring sling. And when we are out, she's in it 90% of the time. However, I can't exactly try on clothing with her attached to me. I also look at other moms enviously when their kids are perfectly happy in the stroller.

maestramommy
05-12-2006, 10:37 AM
OMG I can totally relate to that! If I want to try on clothing I have to work for a 5 minute window that DD will sit in her stroller while I whip something on and off! After the first time I finally understood why moms hardly ever go clothes shopping for themselves!

my3lilgals
05-15-2006, 11:36 PM
My oldest always preferred the stroller to the sling or Bjorn; but both my 2nd and 3rd babies hated strollers until they could sit up pretty well (5 or 6 months old). I wasted so much $$$ on a fancy double stroller that had a cushy padded seat with full recline when DD#2 was born -- she HATED it and so I wore her and the diaper bag rode in the stroller! Same with DD#3.

Once they could sit up and look around, they liked the stroller and would even fall asleep in it (though they always woke up the instant it stopped moving!). But none of my kids would ever sit in the stroller quietly while I shopped; they all had to be moving and looking at interesting stuff or else they'd be screaming and trying to escape.

BTW my middle daughter, who was very anti-stroller as a young infant, is the one whom I can't seem to get OUT of the stroller now. She's almost four and I am having a heckuva time convincing her that she is too old to ride!

californiagirl
05-16-2006, 12:33 AM
In the case of my DD, 1) When the stroller is moving at a jogging pace 2) When she is asleep and 3) When she is exhausted or ill. On the other hand, I remember getting some developmental thing when she was 18 months that said she ought to be walking up to 15 minutes at a time... the day after she'd walked around for an hour. She's 2 and 2 months and walks enough of the time so that we rarely feel the need for a sling or a stroller. Of course my left arm is also twice as strong as my right...

maestramommy
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I wasted
>so much $$$ on a fancy double stroller that had a cushy padded
>seat with full recline when DD#2 was born -- she HATED it and
>so I wore her and the diaper bag rode in the stroller! Same
>with DD#3.
>
And this is why I refuse to get a double stroller when DC#2 comes along. One of them will have to walk, or one will be slung. Or we'll just stay home! tee hee!

tarahsolazy
05-16-2006, 11:40 AM
My son, at 26 months, is JUST getting stroller tolerant now! He was solely a carrier baby until around a year, but he's so heavy (33 pounds or so). He can now tolerate longer stretches, like an hour or two max, in the stroller. He likes to walk, but runs away laughing like a loon, so he rides or is carried most of the time. My DH uses a frame backpack, and I mostly just carry him, or use a pouch sling.

citymama
05-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I can totally relate! My 2 month old DD is the same -- she screams blue murder in the stroller but loves being in the Maya Wrap. I am going to just concede, put my $300 stroller in the closet and look for a more ergonomical carrier! (Any suggestions? My arms are already killing me and she's only 10 lbs right now!)

Ohio_Mom
05-17-2006, 01:00 AM
Why don't you try a Mei Tai carrier? My 16 lb son rides in his Mei Tai all the time in a front carry, and the two-shoulder nature of the carrier makes it very easy on my back. I can wear him around for hours without any back pain at all, and that says a lot because I'm quite the chiropractic nightmare right now after all the strain of pregnancy and childbirth, LOL! If you go over to the carrier board, you'll see lots of great Mei Tai suggestions/feedback (Babyhawk, Mei Tai Baby, Kozy, etc.)

I usually sling my youngest and stroll my oldest. That is what works best for us right now, and I just plan not to push the baby to ride until he's good and ready. No big deal!