PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose a stroller for twins..

boymomCA
05-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Our twins are due soon and I can't decide which stroller to get.
I would love to have a SBS stroller with reversible seats, a large basket, relatively all-terrain (our neighborhood has no sidewalks), but also manuverable in stores and through doors.

I can only find two strollers that have reversible seats:

1. The first Wheels City Twin:

http://www.firstwheels.nl/nl/city_twin/

2. The Stroll-air Spider NV Duo

http://www.babyage.com/products/sa560_stroll-air_stroll-air_spider_duo_nv_stroller.htm

but they are both pretty large at about 30.5" would that be too difficult to manage through doors and in stores? Also the First Wheels one would be available in the U.S. June (maybe) and that might be too late for us. I can't see these strollers IRL, and that's a lot of money to spend without knowing what I'll get.

3. my other choice would be the MBUD (Mountain Buggy Urban Double) that everyone likes so much. but no reversible seats, and I am not sure about the size of the basket.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

heatherlynn
05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
The first wheels has gotten so-so reviews from the few who have seen it. A friend had the Spider and loved it, but said it was a monster. Are you planning to take this in and out of a car? If so, I wouldn't suggest any of them (maybe the MBUD depending on size of car and how much tolerance you have for big bulky strollers). A lot of twin moms suggest the double snap and go type things to start and then see what your needs really are after a few months.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

hardysmom
05-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Start with the Snap N Go Double. It is a total lifesaver while you are in those early, crazy days. The basket is huge and the carseats face you. It would be better to have a all-terrain for neighborhood walks, but the SNGD will be fine for a trip around the block, which will probably be a big outing for a few weeks.

During the first couple of months, you probably won't get out much. Just neverending doctor appointments for you and the babies. I didn't believe that and tried to take my babies and 2.5 yr old to the zoo around 3 weeks, which was a complete disaster. I am mostly on my own as my husband works/travels a lot, but after 3-6 mo, we were on the go a lot. Things get easier as the babies develop a reliable schedule.

After twin-shock begins to fade, you can keep the SNGD in the car for quick trips and use something else for walks. 30+ really is too wide, particularly with twins because if you can't get through a door, you have to go home. A singleton family can wing-it in ways we can't. A reversible seat is fun, but really only a biggie for a few months.

Personally, I started with a SNGD and a Mountain Buggy. The basket is fine, though not super-easy to access in the first months when the seats are totally reclined- however, this is a problem with most strollers. You'll manage. That stage passes before you know it.

When we outgrew the SNG, I used the MB as my everywhere stroller. While bulky, it is by far, the most maneuverable and flexible double on the market (IMO). I can always count on it.

I wanted something lighter so I tried an Aria Twin and hated it. I also tried an E3, a Marco Sky, and an ABC w/ a toddlerseat. All had pros and cons. Currently, I LOVE the ABC and it is gettign the most use. That said, my MB is the stroller I keep coming back to and the one that we will keep until the girls are 100% finished riding.

Stephanie
Hardy 11/17/01
Blythe and Charlotte 3/24/04

boymomCA
05-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice I am definitely getting the SNG..
BTW what is the ABC stroller?

Thanks!

boymomCA
05-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Do you remember what people said in their reviews of the "First Wheels"? Are there reviews online?

Thanks!

mfk0205
05-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Just wanted to say that the SNG is a must! Beyond that, if I could go back, I wish would have just paid the $$ and bought an MBUD to start out with. I've had just about everything, and this is my favorite stroller. IMO, after the infant seat days, you can get by with the MBUD as your only stroller. Ideally, it is nice to have something lighter for quick trips; I think the Marco Sky or Saftey 1st Transit Tandem is a good choice. Congrats and good luck with your twins!

hobie
05-11-2006, 03:36 PM
www.abcbugg.co.nz

I never had a SNG with my boys...but we didn't leave the house much either. I would take walks with the boys every day from home, so the car seats weren't necessary in our Valco stroller.

hardysmom
05-12-2006, 06:49 AM
ABC is a buggy from New Zeland designed by the original Phil & Ted's team. It is a lot like a Mountain Buggy, but with a few extra whistles (HUGE basket, napper bar, toddler seat) and a little more thought-out engineering (telescoping handle, zip-on weather covers). You have to order directly from them, but they pay shipping so it isn't as bad as one might imagine. They try to keep the shipped price in line with MB. The customer service is totally top-notch, if you have any trouble, they will take care of you.

The only down-side is that the manner in which it folds makes it very, very long so it may not fit in standard trunks w/o removing the front wheels (which are quick release).

http://www.abcbuggy.co.nz/

Stephanie

Pennylane
05-12-2006, 07:56 AM
I was getting ready to buy the Aria Twin 2005 model (on sale for 229.00). After reading your post I was curious as to why you didn't like it? This will be my third stroller purchase and I really want it to be perfect. Looking for lightweight, folds easily, side by side with a snack tray.

Thanks , Ann

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
not Stephanie here....
My experience with the aria twin is that it does fold easy, and it is lightweight, but the steering is HORRID!
If you have older kids you really cant get away with a lightweight, as they just dont steer as well.

hardysmom
05-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Valerie said it for me. I found the steering to be very, very bad. I did like the fold, weight and basket but it was a pain to push.

Might have been OK if I only spent time on super-smooth mall floors and didn't need to occasionally push w/ 1 hand in order to contain my (then) 3 yr old while the twins rode. Still, even on smooth floors, it was pretty annoying. Also might have been OK if I wasn't very spoiled by the way my MB maneuvers.

Convenience while pushing is a bigger deal to me than loading/unloading so it lasted less than a week.

Stephanie

tootsiepop
05-19-2006, 10:41 PM
HI! I actually had a Spider Duo NV and I was not happy with it for several reasons...
Very heavy and awkward to get in and out of the car, not easy to break down, and I could not lift it all together,extremely heavy. My daughter did not fit in the footmuff at all her legs were too chubby at 18 mo.
It did push very well and was very easy to manuver once it was together. better for just a garage stroller for neighborhood walks, but do you want to spend 900.00 for a garage stroller?

The Firstwheels City Twin, I have wanted ever since but it will not be released until June 2006. The Firstwheels had alot to offer including an aluminum frame which makes the stroller weight 33 LBS!!!!! Yipee, the fold is great and the seats remove to fold it. The colors are so yummy.....Lime, aqua, purple,red,pink, orange, sand, black, navy ,brown ,green.

The MBUD is a great stroller also pushes awesome, there is also the Valco Twin and he ABC everest twin, these areall great choices for a forward facing AT atroller.

you may want a front back style for shopping at some point, there are several that you can try the phil and Teds E3 is popular but they need to be a bit older for that. The peg tender a 2004 model or earlier can take infant seats. Peg Duette, but it gets hard to push when they get older. there is the Quinny 4xl Plus that one seat can face you one faces outwards, the bebe comfort twin club, musty duo rider, Jane powertwin shoud be out soon.Marco sky is great and hte Transit Tandem(I actually liked better than the marco) these are just a few others to look into off the top of my head that may help you at some point for a tandem stroller. hope this helps you :)

Good luck
Kara
Mommy to Abrielle and Sheaden
co-owner of Little Dribbles Baby Boutique

jwozy
05-20-2006, 12:00 AM
I have twins who just turned two and we have an aria twin. Yes the stoller is lightweight, easy to fold - the steering is not too great. My son is 33lbs and my daughter about 27lbs and the weight difference really makes the turns quite difficult. But my husband likes the stroller so we keep it around for those quick trips.