PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check: Do I NEED a double stroller?

scarletsmommy
05-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Okay, I am starting to get stressed in regard to this double stroller issue. Here's what's going on.

I am due September 21st. My DD will be about 17 months old (April 7, 2005). My Combi car seat won't fit the new Combi tandem stroller. So I could just buy the Combi double and a new car seat but it's just gonna cost so much!

We went to BRU today and tried to get DD to sit/stand in the Joovy and she wasn't going for it. Standing was a nightmare and the salesperson said she can't sit when a car seat is attached. Then we tried the Graco DuoGlider (I know, I know, it's gotten terrible reviews here) but it was like a boat!!! HUGE! They had great double strollers that were side by side but NONE of them would accomodate an infant car seat.

Then we went to SuperTarget and tried out the Baby Trend Sit and Stand. It looked like she would still be able to sit while the car seat is attached, but it's just a guess. My DH was all for it (the price is great if we could use the Combi infant seat we already have) but I was hesitant about it's length and whether she's too young for that type of system.

So I guess my main questions are:
Can I get away with not getting a double until he's out of the infant seat?
How long will my oldest use a stroller?

Sorry for the long post. I am crossing my finger that ya'll can give me some insight to make a good $$$ choice.

Happy Mother's Day!

pampamz
05-15-2006, 07:24 AM
We purchased a used Graco DuoGlider (now gathering dust on my back porch) before DD came along thinking it was a neccessity (DS was 34 mos). I used it for walks around the neighbourhood and that's it. I stopped after a few months because DS became pretty good at walking along side me and behaving! Plus I found the double to be a beast to push.

What we used MUCH more often was DD in Baby Bjorn and DS in my Zooper if we were at a mall etc. and I needed him contained, so to speak.

At 17mos though your DD might still benefit from being in the stroller (you don't want them to get too used to freedom, too early IYKWIM!). I guess you should consider when you will be most using the double and go from there. Is it for walks? Shopping?

The "DD in the carrier/DS in the stroller" combo really worked well for me and it got DD out of the infant seat much more often.

Congrats & good luck!

Momof3Labs
05-15-2006, 07:24 AM
At 17 months apart, you NEED a double stroller just to maintain your sanity! I'd guess that you have 1-1.5 years where both kids will be riding frequently. IMO a sit and stand type stroller won't cut it, since #1 won't be contained.

Whether you can get by without a double until he's out of the infant seat is up to you. I'd think it would work if you plan to sling him and put DD in the stroller, but does it bother you to lose the convenience of an infant seat?

Check out the Graco DuoRider (it's an inexpensive SBS) - I've seen people put infant seats in one side of that before.

Jen841
05-15-2006, 08:43 AM
We bought an Inglesina Twin Swift for our 2. Love it! It does not accomodate a car seat and that has not been an issue. We bought a floor model for $150-160. I know it is not super cheap, but I hope it has a long life.

Not being able to accomodate a car seat has not been an issue. I wanted compact, so that was more important to me than the car seat since it has a more limited life than the stroller.

Food for thought! The Chicco double no one raves about, but we took it for a spin in the store and I had no gripe. The downfall may be getting in and out of doors.

my3fallkiddos
05-15-2006, 10:36 AM
My DS was 21 months old when DS#2 arrived and I thought I HAD to have a double stroller before DS#2 was even born! But in reality, I didn't go out much when DS#2 was a newborn and when I did, DS#2 was in his carseat and DS#1 was in the Mac Volo or I had DS#2 in the Baby Bjorn and DS#1 held my hand or was in the Volo. Now that DS#2 is 8 months old and in his convertible seat, we've just really started using the double stroller now.

We're using a Peg Perego Tender Twin XL and it's my favorite stroller so far. Crappy basket, lol, but everything else is great. I've had a Inglesina Twin Swift (loved it but had quality problems) a Mac Twin Traveller (heavy and hated the two handle bars far apart but otherwise it was good), a Zooper Tango (heaaaavy and wide!) and a neighbor just gave me for free an older 3 handled Mac TT that is nice and lightweght and I really like it alot.

All that being said, in the beginning I so wish I had a Graco DuoGlider! It would have been heaven to just snap my newborn's infant seat in the back and put DS#1 up front and go into the doctor's office or into DD's school. In hindsight, I wonder WHY I didn't just buy a Graco DuoGlider. Even today that huge basket is tempting!!

So if the Duoglider works for you, you should get it! After a while, all larger strollers get tiresome and you'll end up buying a lighter stroller anyway. You could even buy a used Duoglider off of Ebay or Craigslist!

Good luck :) Finding the right double stroller for me was an enjoyable as getting a tooth pulled- and more expensive! ;)

JacksMommy
05-15-2006, 01:58 PM
I'd say your oldest will be using a stroller for quite some time, still. At 17 months, evenif she can walk, you won't want to go at her pace all the time.

My DS is older but we did not get a double stroller and haven't needed it mainly because I always carry dd. Certainly this shouldn't be a problem if you have a good carrier that is comfortable for you. This is a great money option.

If you are $ strapped, I would not spend lots on a stroller just because it can take a car seat - after six months or so, baby will be sitting up and the convenience of that feature becomes useless.

Why not wait until #2 is born to see what things are really like? You can decide what stroller you like now and then get it if you find it's really necessary once #2 arrives and you see how things go.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Florida Mom
05-15-2006, 02:14 PM
DS won 25 months when DD was born, and we needed a double. I had the Peg Perego Aria Twin. It was wonderful. LIghtweight and comfortable for a very tall toddler. No, technically you cannot put a carseat in it, but it does recline enough for a newborn - i know it is not a full recline, but if you think about how inclined a car seat is, there is no difference. That being said, I never used the carseat in a stroller for either of my children. I dont understand why people do it. The baby needs to be in different positions. And if you read the current medical community thoughts they agree that babies should be in carseats only when in the car. Otherwise it hurts their development, causes flat heads, impedes their movement - all because moms dont want to wake a sleeping baby.

just my 2 cents

scarletsmommy
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Thank you so much!!! I so value your opinions! I am still using my combi stroller with DD at 13 months. I recently was given a Chico umbrella stroller and have used it a few times but really miss that basket.

I think it was a good point about wanting DD to be in a stroller for a while longer. She does walk slow and gets distracted SO easily. I guess I was in a dream land thinking I could have her outside of a stroller.

I had thought about the bjorn carrier, and we do have one, but due to my large chest (36H prepregnancy) it can be an extra strain on my back.

I do have a InStep Double Jogger that I use at the park and the Zoo. I know that side by sides can be difficult to get through doorways sometimes. I have only ever brought it inside WinnDixie so I am not sure how practical it is for indoors.

Those of you that use doubles on a daily basis: How different is it to use than a single? Should I expect to be able to navigate through stores at the mall with one?

When DD was an infant we rarely pushed her in the stroller when she wasn't in her car seat. I guess I was just expecting to do the same thing with DS. But, as a PP pointed out, I could just take him out and put him in one of the other strollers that were mentioned above. I hope I am not boring ya'll with all this but noone in this area has any advice and unfortunately my DH is no help!

Those double umbrella style strollers mentioned above, would I be able to just put him in or would I need to cushion around him?

I feel so much better prepared already! Thanks for all the opinions!!!

amp
05-15-2006, 03:44 PM
We held off on the double stroller until my daughter was a couple of months old. I used our infant seat w/ her compatible single stroller, shopping carts or a pouch prior to that. But it got to be a problem with her riding in the stroller and DS wanting to ride. I bought a Peg Perego Aria Twin and I LOVE IT! We don't use the carseat carrier with it. We just take her out of her seat and put her in the stroller. Trust me...this is much easier than the old switcheroo I was having to do w/ a single stroller, carseat and preschooler and infant!

So, the short answer is yes, you can do without it for a bit. But you might find you want one at some point, regardless of whether it accomodates the carseat. I know it's convenient, but it's really not a huge deal. Then again, my daughter wakes up everytime we move her carseat anyway, so I'm not getting away w/ transfering sleeping baby like I did with my ds!

And, FWIW, my DS, nearly 3, doesn't usually want to ride in the stroller, but for the times he does, it is PRICELESS to me to be able to set him in there without having to take her out. And frankly, I love the Aria Twin so much that I prefer it to my single stroller any day of the week! it's a joy to push it! So I don't mind if there's one kid in there!

chicagojo
05-15-2006, 08:28 PM
My two are 23 months apart and I couldn't survive without my double strollers! I do still use my singles a fair amount - either with DD (older) in the stroller and DS (younger) in the Bjorn, or with DS in the stroller and DD walking (only for very short excursions b/c she's quite slow). I bought a Valco Twin at first with a carseat adapter, and that's been wonderful for long walks. But I also ended up buying a DuoGlider because a) it can take a carseat, which is just such a convenience at times and b) it is a lot easier to maneuver vs. a side-by-side in some settings (I live in a neighborhood with lots of small shops and restaurants and although the Valco makes it through the door just about anywhere, maneuvering it once inside can often be quite a challenge). I know I'm in the minority here but I actually like the DuoGlider a lot - in fact, more than I like the Combi single that I paid over $250 for when DD was born!

If I were you, I'd consider what you use a stroller for before deciding whether you can do without one for a while. But I'd say that if you take walks of any distance greater than a couple of blocks, a 17 month old really still needs to be in the stroller.

You might also want to check out the "Carriers" forum - folks there may have a suggestion for a carrying option for the baby that won't be as hard on your back as the Bjorn. That way, you could keep your older one in the single stroller and carry the little one for the first few months. I just wandered into that forum the other day and my first non-Bjorn carrier, a Mei Tai, is on its way!

kep
05-15-2006, 10:28 PM
>We don't use the carseat carrier with it.
> We just take her out of her seat and put her in the stroller.

This is actually the best way to go. It is really hard on young babes to be in their carseat for extended periods of time. I've actually heard recommendations recently that you only use the carseat while actually driving in the car. I know that never using the seat as a carrier just isn't practical for most people. (Me included!) Obviously there's going to be times when you just need to be able to unlatch the carseat and go. The idea is less is more.

More and more babies are going in their carseat from the car, to the store, back to the car, to the restaurant, back to the car, to the ped's office, etc. Their little bodies never get any rest from the seat, or the chance to try out other positions. The extended use of seats has also been linked to flat heads in kiddos. (I don't have a link right now, but I'll try to dig one up.)

Anyway, I would probably recommend just getting a good double stroller, (SBS), and trying that out. With how quickly newborns outgrow their infant seats, compatability is only a factor for deciding on a stroller for a short time.

Kelli
Proud Mommy to Lukey (4.2003)

http://b4.lilypie.com/G0VTm4.png

my3lilgals
05-15-2006, 11:43 PM
17 months is pretty young. You might want a stroller simply for containment purposes.

However, I found with two of my three babies that they hated the stroller for the first six months or so. So I just used a single and pu the baby in the sling. I found that much less unwieldy than dealing with a double. By the time the baby was too heavy to sling and more amenable to the stroller, the older child was old enough to stand on the rear step thing of the Pliko. My kids are farther apart than yours, though (25 months for the first two, and 2.5 years for the second and third).

I will say that it was nice having a double jogger to take them for walks around town, to the beach, and on days when I was desperate for both of them to take a nap! But I never really used the lightweight double stroller, I found the Pliko/sling combo to work out better for shopping, appointments, etc..

All of my kids hated being in the carseat so I never even bothered using that in the stroller.

georgiegg
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
>More and more babies are going in their carseat from the car,
>to the store, back to the car, to the restaurant, back to the
>car, to the ped's office, etc. Their little bodies never get
>any rest from the seat, or the chance to try out other
>positions. The extended use of seats has also been linked to
>flat heads in kiddos.

Hi all,

I don't want to start a debate about the topic since I know it has happened here before, but I have been curious for awhile about this subject. Why does the car seat cause so many problems as opposed to a sling which (in my opinion) seems at least as immobilizing to the baby. I've carried both my kids in pouches and slings a lot & it seems like until they really start "sitting up" in the sling, they have been pretty crammed in there (especially when asleep) and they move their heads less when curled up in the pouch than they do in their car seats. So I am just curious if it means that I am using the slings incorrectly or the car seats incorrectly or it is just my perception that they move their heads less in the sling?

On the double stroller front, we have an E3. The kids are 27 months apart. I've loved it though I should say only as a compromise double stroller. It came the closest to giving me everything that I wanted (easy fold, not too too heavy, good on lots of different terrains, and able to get through narrower doors). I would not really love it as a single stroller though since I think there are better singles. Plus it was more expensive than I'd have liked.

There have been a bunch of times that I would have liked to use the carseat with it, but I've found that I've managed. Again it was a compromise given the other features which I cared about more. The cocoon has helped a bit which is allowed me to transfer the baby from stroller to house without waking her (actually got a lillebaby on sale and does the same thing as the P&T cocoon).

Lastly, I get the reasons against using the carseat all the time, but realistically speaking, I have no idea how I would get my son from the car in and out of the daycare center everyday (and myself to work on time) if I had to remove the baby from the carseat at every drop off and pick up. Maybe other moms are better at fiddling with the car seat straps, containing a toddler and carrying a million bags simultaneously --all while racing against the clock but if I had to strap and unstrap the newborn too, I think I'd just give up. Not to mention there is no place to actually put the newborn down once I am in the daycare center while getting my toddler settled.... Luckily the toddler's daycare center is only a 10 minute ride by car so the newborn is not in her seat that long total. But I guess my overall point is that I don't think the overuse of car seats is caused as much by parents not wanting to wake their kids or laziness as much as the insanely fast pace of modern life --particularly for those of us who are single parents or who have multiple responsibilities and constraints in our daily routine/schedule.

MamaKath
05-16-2006, 09:58 PM
"So I am just curious if it means that I am using the slings incorrectly or the car seats incorrectly or it is just my perception that they move their heads less in the sling?"

Without debating any issues, a sling is molded to your child's head because it is fabric. It is not a hard, flat surface putting pressure on, or having pressure put on depending on your point of view. :-)

MamaKath
05-16-2006, 10:01 PM
There are quite a few double alternatives available, either new or used places like Swap and Ebay. My site has a page with pics of a few, it gives a general concept of how they work (link in siggy, look for the double alternatives page). With that age difference I would be surprised if you didn't need a double, but you could probably get away with a single and a sling for a bit. :-)

carolines mommy
05-17-2006, 02:01 AM
My kiddos are 16 months apart and I cannot imagine not having a double stroller...or 2 or 3 or 4! We use them all the time because keeping track of DD1 who is now 2 1/2 can be a chore because she is so active. We need her contained for our sanity. Our first double was a Peg Tender Twin which doesn't accept an infant seat. I had no issues with taking DD2 out of her Combi infant seat and placing her in the rear seat of the stroller. I liked that she was lying flat and could stretch out. Plus it was cooler for her than being cooped up in the infant seat. In a pinch a couple times I did set her in the infant seat sideways across the rear seat of the stroller. Amazingly sturdy for a quick trip into the post office, but I never shopped with her like that.

I would say at 17 months my daughter would not have been comfortable in a Sit and Stand for any extended period of time. In my opinion, I'd say go for the comfort of your children first then convenience for yourself second. If your DD is riding on the back seat of a sit and stand while you are at the mall and starts fussing because she wants to nap but cannot as she doesn't have a proper seat then you are out of luck and have to leave. It may be convenient to pop the baby onto the stroller in her seat, but now it is inconvenient because DD1 isn't comfortable. KWIM?

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

georgiegg
05-17-2006, 05:27 AM
>Without debating any issues, a sling is molded to your child's
>head because it is fabric. It is not a hard, flat surface
>putting pressure on, or having pressure put on depending on
>your point of view. :-)

Thanks so much. That was just the sort of answer that I was looking for. An explanation or information about how slings work/function (hopefully without prompting a big debate). And my kids certainly have loved my pouch and slings. Although from an adult perspective, it looks both cozy AND uncomfortable in there.

M

MNmomtobe
05-17-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't think having your child in the infant seat to take the child to daycare is an issue at all with plagiocephaly or flat-head syndrome since it is short-term. At my baby class, this was discussed because of the over-all length of time that babies spend on their backs. Of course they should be on their backs when sleeping due to SIDS.
They told us it is the same whether babies are on their backs for lengthy periods in carseats, strollers, bouncy seats, or swings. They encouraged daily tummy time even when baby is a newborn.

scarletsmommy
05-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks so much. It's nice to hear from so many moms with experience. This is what is so valuable to me about the Baby Bargains Book and this message board. Practical advice from people who acutally use the products on a daily basis. That's what has saved me at least as much $ as I've spent!

So I have definatly decided to get a double before DS arrives. I now need to decide what type of double to get. First I need to figure out whether I want the stroller to accept a car seat or not. If I want it to accept a car seat, that will increase my spending. The one I have now (combi) won't work on any doubles that are currently on the market. I have been unsuccessful finding a used/older model double combi in any resale shops or on ebay.

Any more rec. of which doubles are your favorite?