PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Area - stroller AND backpack carrier?

Jen7
05-15-2006, 04:39 PM
We're traveling to Washington in a couple of weeks and plan to check out the Pike market area in Seattle, as well as Olympic National Park, the coastal areas around Ocean Shores and possibly Mt. Ranier. We're planning to bring our Zooper Swing (which I love, btw). We've also got a Yakima backpack carrier, which is great for hiking but doesn't fold down very small at all. Is it worth it to bring the backpack carrier (not sure how that would work on the plane - probably have to check it?) or will our stroller be sufficient? Not sure if you can walk along the ocean in this area with a regular stroller, or if you can view most of the scenary from the car, or if you really need to get out and hike... Thanks!!

new_mommy25
05-16-2006, 04:12 AM
Pike Place is hard to navigate with a stroller! It's doable but very crowded and it will take longer. Also, there are a lot of stairs that you might want to walk which is impossible with the stroller. There is an elevator but it is hard to find and slow. I would absolutely bring some kind of carrier. I don't have any experience with backpack carriers but I have seen people wearing them all the way down to the plane and then putting them in the overhead compartment. Otherwise I would recommend something like an Ergo that both you and DH could wear.

Karenn
05-16-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm thinking a backpack would be a good idea if you can make it happen. Like Angie said, the Pike Place Market is *very* crowded. You can do it in a stroller, but a backpack would be easier and let you go more places. As for Mt. Ranier and the Olympics, I think you really do want to get out and hike. You can see some amazing views from the car, but you'd probably miss some even more amazing views if you didn't get out and walk a bit. About beaches- I haven't ever tried to take a stroller to Ocean Shores, it might work in some areas. I remember you can rent mopeds to ride on the beach, so I imagine a stroller would work too. Most of the Seattle beaches are fairly rocky and a stroller wouldn't work on them. Have a good trip!

renefjr
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Just returned from the Seattle area and had a great time. We brought our Mac Quest and a Bjorn carrier. Originally wanted to bring the Cameleon and our Kelty backpack carrier but with a car seat all that seem too overwhelming. Pike Place Market is ideal for a carrier of some sort. You'll have a hard time navigating through with a stroller--no matter how small. Mt. Rainier also still had quite a bit of snow so if you're going to the top, again a carrier would be ideal. Personally, we tried to take the carrier as much as we could but used the stroller for the parks, beaches, and malls. Have a great trip!