PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren Techno XT vs Peg Perego Pliko P3

superclam
05-15-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm looking for feedback on these two models. We can't decide which to get.
Techno: PROS: light weight, folds compactly, tall handles for my tall husband, and nice removable 5-point harness. CONS: folds awkardly and top heavy, is prone to tipping when a toddler is in the seat fully reclined.
Pliko P3: PROS: easier fold, can stand on its own when folded, easy to roll along folded. CONS: "5-point" harness comes off easily (the top) and appears to be the main complaint from parents, a bit heavier and bulkier, plasticky.

The Inglesina Zippy seemed like a great alternative to these two, but handles are non adjustable and my tall husband inevitably ended kicking the wheels 90% of the time.

We live in San Francisco, have one car, so we will be using the stroller quite a bit walking around and catching public transportation. Any feedback you have will be appreciated. Thanks!

nfowife
05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Ummmm, the PP harness is not supposed to be attached at the top when the child is riding. It's called a floating harness and it should only be attached when stored or when you first put the child in to make it easier to get on. Otherwise, it is not attached. It is actually my favorite thing about the Peg strollers, and my DD loves it. She has the freedom to lean forward, is not pinned to the back of the seat, yet is still safely contained with a 5 point harness. The people who are complaining about it have obviously not read their manuals! :)

Personally, of the 3, the P3 is what I would choose because it is stable (no tipping when you hang something on the handles and take out baby), has a snack tray, extendable handles, and great hood. I couldn't imagine not having a snack tray, it is a must have for me!!

superclam
05-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your feedback! Many reviews at Amazon.com complained about the top clip of the harness coming undone, and when I asked about it at the store, the clerk said it was securely clipped and wouldn't come off. No mention that it is NOT supposed to stay clipped with the child in! Thanks!

babybear
05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
I own both and I like them for different reasons.

Mac - Folds much easier and is more compact. My DH likes it because of the taller handles.

Peg - I like the large hood and the fact that it does not tip over. I have never figured out how to get it to stand on its own.

HTH,

sophdog33
05-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Wow, I have been using the harness hooked into the back ever since I bought it 6 months ago! Whoops! It's fine with DD though... why can't I use it hooked on? Just curious if there was an actual reason why not to.

nfowife
05-15-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know if there is a reason not to, but if they pull forward very fast the little plastic thingy would probably break. My DD adores being able to hold onto the snack tray while strolling around!

daniele_ut
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I own both a P3 and a Techno Classic and thought I would sell the Techno when I got the P3, but I am having a hard time letting the Techno go. I've really loved it. As the PP said, there are things that I like and dislike about each one:

P3 - LOVE the floating harness, upright seat, snack tray, and enormous hood. DS is happier in this stroller for extended periods because of the upright seat and floating harness that gives him more freedom of movement. I also love the diaper bag hooks and the fact that it won't tip. I'm not as crazy about the fold/unfold and it just feels heavier than the Techno to me. It doesn't steer nearly as well as the Mac and I tend to kick the wheels for some reason. IT is more awkward for me to lift in and out of my wagon.

Techno - LOVE the steering. You really just can't beat a Mac for excellent steering, especially one handed. We've had the Techno for 18 months and the fold just comes so easily to me. It fits much better in my wagon than the P3. The hood is not great (though the 2006 is better) and the basket is small. The tipping can be really bothersome.

Smiles81
05-16-2006, 10:32 AM
To get the peg to stand on its own, make sure the front wheels are in the normal strolling position, and lock them so they don't move, then it should stand up on its own.

HTH
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

leslieu
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I just went thought deciding between Mac's Techno XT and the P3. I ended up getting a 2006 P3, that I absolutely love and so does DS.

I did research and test drove both the Techno and the P3. I'd have to agree with what has been said about both.

Techno XT 2006:
-The canopy has a see though the little window.
-Large canopy that unzips to release the canopy forward like an accordion and give more sun coverage. (comparable to P3)
-Excellent steering. (By far the best I've experienced)
-Weight limit 55 lbs.
-Weight 14.5 lbs. (2005 model 17 lbs)
-High back for taller children.
-Sits low to the ground
- Easy fold & open

P3 2006:
-Large basket & hooks to hold a diaper bag.
-Large canopy gives great sun coverage. (comparable to Techno XT)
-Weight limit 45 lbs
-Weight 16 lbs
-Foot board for older child (from what I'd hear it works ok for kids that about 4/5 or older)
-Steering is good
-No tipping over
-Sits higher of the ground (great for older kids w/ long legs)
-Stand alone after folded (If you can figure it out - lol The front wheels have to be positioned under the stroller facing forward)

You could also consider the Pilko Lite, it has all the great features of the P3 without the rear foot board and snack tray. Weighs only 13 lbs. I would have gotten the Pilko Lite, but DS wouldn't be able to live w/out a snack tray.

My short review of Techno XT and P3
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=73787&mode=full&page=2

Leslie

pampamz
05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Leslie -- that was a really great comparison -- thanks, since I am also contemplating either the Techno or the Pliko Lite.
Very helpful!
Pam

carolines mommy
05-17-2006, 02:10 AM
The weight difference between the 05 and 06 Macs are not much different if different at all. The 06s are listing just the weight of the stroller not including the hood, basket, etc which is very misleading IMO.

We have an 05 Techno Classic and a P3. I love both for different reasons and wouldn't be able to choose between the 2 if I had to pick only one as they both have different "pros" that are useful at different times. My favorite pro about the Mac is the steering, my favorite about the P3 is the stability when hanging things from the handles.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05