PDA

View Full Version : Valco Runabout 2005 Review & Strap Question

MarieBunny
05-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I got my single Valco 2005 Runabout a week ago but unfortunately because of the non-stop rain and chilly weather over the past week, we've only taken it out twice for quick walks in between rainstorms!

I will say it was tricky to assemble and directions were poorly written. The whole thing took me a couple hours to assemble and figure out how all the parts worked (that said, I am a jogging stroller novice). But once I did, I found it fairly easy to fold/unfold. Some of the reviews I read made it sound more complicated.

Now for my question: It comes with a strap included that is not mentioned in the instructions. It has elastic and a snap, and I assume it's the safety leash thing but I don't know where it attaches. I also noticed a couple of small straps attached to the stroller on the back of the seat above the basket with rectangular hooks. I don't know what this is for either, or if it's related.

Anyway, the Runabout is beautifully constructed, has a wonderful cushy padded seat with nice fabric (I got crimson). It folds fairly compactly, even more so if the wheels are removed (wheels are large). I haven't put it in my Toyota Camry trunk yet, but I have no doubt it will fit. The basket isn't huge but is more than adequate. Sunshade should be fine for our Ohio weather, although hotter/sunnier climes might want to add a bigger shade.

Most importantly, it glides like a dream in my neighborhood with no sidewalks. I have taken it over grass and hilly terrain and it is so easy to push, it almost pushes itself! DS (32+ lbs and 35 in.) fits comfortably in the main seat. I plan to use it as a double with my toddler seat once my next DC is born. It is so plush, has full recline and includes an infant headhugger. I think it will be perfect for a newborn.

I was a little concerned about width. And it is quite wide (27"). It does fit through my front door with some room to spare but I see how it could be a problem in stores with tight aisles. I prefer the width of the E3 but went with the Valco because it seemed more sturdy and I liked the toddler seat placement in the front. It is still more narrow than SBS strollers so I think I will like it as a double. I don't know if I will be able to use it as my one and only double though. I plan to try it for a while but may end up getting a Graco Duoglider or a SBS umbrella stroller for errands.

So far I am very satisfied with my purchase as the Valco seems like it could withstand a LOT of use. It was well worth the purchase price of $299.99 + $70 for toddler seat (plus free cupholder). I ordered from StrollerMama.com (Amy & Erika) and their customer service was outstanding! They went out of their way to accommodate me and price matched the stroller based on other prices I found online. They also offered to pay my Ohio state tax for me (since I am in Columbus and they are in Cleveland). The shipping was extremely fast, and they use the product themselves so they are happy to answer questions. It was a great experience and I recommend them highly. :)

nfowife
05-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Great! It is a wonderful stroller. FYI, the little straps on the side with the metal hooks are for when you fold the stroller. Those hooks attach to a sticky-outy nail thing to hold it closed. And I am pretty sure that the wrist strap attaches to the handlebar (snap side). You put the loop side around your wrist when using the stroller.

louislinus
05-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey another Valco owner in Ohio!! I thought I might be the only Buckeye with this stroller. Congratulations on your purchase. I love mine too!

MarieBunny
05-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks! That does help me understand how I might attach the safety strap. I know what you are talking about with the strap with the metal hooks. I did figure out how to use it to secure the stroller when closed. However, the straps I am talking about are lower on the back and just above the basket. I am assuming they go with one of the accessories and I'll probably figure out what they are for later.

Marriedladytara
05-17-2006, 07:47 AM
I got the same stroller a few weeks ago and I'm loving it too! My only concern is the width, but so far I'm doing ok with it! I only use it for neighborhood walks though because it is too big and heavy to get in and out of my car!

symesa
05-21-2006, 01:07 AM
The straps on the back, with the clips, are part of the seat adjustment. There are zippers and belts that can be loosened or tightened in order to raise or lower the seat. Clipping the straps and cinching the belt will give you a secure, upright position.

Oh, and I recommend the Protect-a-Bub sunshade to go with it. I live in Seattle which gets a lot less sun than you, but I definitely needed more coverage than the shade that came with the stroller could provide.

Glad you like it!