PDA

View Full Version : To double stroller or not to double stroller?

iujen94
05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
We are expecting DS #2 in just three weeks!!!! DS #1 is 2 1/2. I had all but convinced myself not to waste my money on a double stroller, but now I'm having second thoughts and wanted to get y'all's opinions. I can see where having a double stroller would come in handy - it's easier to go the mall with DS #1 "strapped in" so that he can't run off (right now when we go to the mall or elsewhere, he usually walks all or most of the time, but I usually take the stroller in case he wants to ride or gets too wild and I want/need to constrain him a bit!) and if we go to the zoo or the park I'll take it along in case he gets worn out, so he can ride (rather than have me carry him!). SO, it would be nice to still have that option to "strap in" DS #1 after DS #2 arrives. The reason I had decided against the double stroller is because everything I've read leads me to believe that they are more trouble (hard to maneuver, heavy, difficult to fold up, massive, expensive to get a good one, can't put infant car seat in the side by sides, etc. . . ) than they are worth. What do you think??

clc053103
05-17-2006, 09:56 AM
I only have 1 DS but I know from having a dear nephew that age that once he saw my DS in the stroller, he too wanted to be pushed around- even though previously he was a steadfast walker! I think it can't be a bad investment- even if part of the time, you are using the second seat for bags when shopping.

Another idea, if he's not a big walker- a stroller w/ toddler step or attachment, or the Sit and Stand or equivalent (though I personally thought the Sit and Stand was a monster!)

chicagojo
05-17-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a slightly smaller age difference between my two (23 mos) but couldn't survive without a double. If your older DS prefers to walk most of the time you might be able to get away without a double, though, if you bring along a Bjorn or other carrier that the baby can go in if older DS needs to ride for whatever reason. That should work for at least the first few months, at which point you could re-assess your need for a double. Lots of people around here have the Joovy Caboose (similar to the sit n stand) and that seems to work out pretty well, although I've heard it's quite heavy.

Ohio_Mom
05-17-2006, 02:22 PM
I would recommend taking a "wait and see" approach rather than trying to figure everything out before the baby is born. My son is almost three months old, and my daughter is two. She is sort of like your son and can walk for a good amount of time, but needs to ride sometimes more or less just to be contained and stay safe, or because she gets tired on longer outings.

So far, I have been wearing my son in a Mei Tai carrier rather than putting him in a stroller and just taking a single along for my daughter. That works great for us right now, but I'm already really into baby wearing and such so I would be wearing my son at this age rather than strolling him regardless. The one true double stroller that I have at this point is a MBUD, mainly because I realize that the times when a double will really be needed are for things like the zoo, outdoor festivals, longer walks in the neighborhood, etc. when an all-terrain double would come in handy anyway. But I really don't plan to get a lighterweight double for shorter trips at this point. For places like the mall, it's much easier just to take a single (easier to navigate through stores and such) and keep the baby in a carrier, or to put the baby in a stroller and have my toddler walk, depending on the nature of the trip.

This might change a bit as the kids get a little older, but this works fine for us right now. There are a few cool new doubles about to be released this summer (Jane, First Wheels) and some important improvements about to be made on some existing doubles (like the E3), so it makes a lot of sense to wait a bit longer to invest in a double if you can. You'll have some better options available if you can make it another month or two before you start looking.

HTH! :)

lpl47
05-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I would also wait and see. My DS is now a little over 2.5 years and my DD is 3 1/2 months. I decided not to get a double... right now I usually wear her (in a sling or Bjorn) and let my son ride in the stroller if he wants. We also just got the new Buggy Board G3 for him to ride on the back of the stroller when she's in it. HE LOVES IT! I can't imagine using the Buggy Board for long walks - but around town or to get to his daycare or the playground a few blocks away, it's perfect.

marshmallow
05-29-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd probably get a buggy board for him. cheaper than a new stroller. doesn't 'strap' him in though.
If you ever go for a day trip to the zoo or something you will probably need a double -- but for just occasional use of a double, buy a used one. They're a dime a dozen around here. Every community garage sale has a handful of graco double strollers people are wanting to get rid of.

catfeet
05-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Maclaren Rally Twin. It's lightweight, small fold, and maneuvers nicely. I got mine used on ebay for $50 with a mis-spelled word auction.

HTH,
Ann