PDA

View Full Version : Phil & Ted's worth the $$$??

Mommy2Anastasia
05-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I was just wondering what people who have the Phil & Ted's E3 with doubles kit think of it and if you think it is worth the money.

We were looking at the MacLaren Twin Techno because it was nice had good reviews and would fit in our car in different ways. But then we saw the Phil & Ted's E3 with the doubles kit and we realized that it would fit even better in our car and it just has such great features with it being the size of a normal stroller, for going shopping etc.

We are expecting another baby in October and just had our first a daughter in August so they will be 14 months apart.

So is it worth trying to figure out how to save on other things to buy the Phil & Ted's??

We live in Canada and it is over 650.00 with the doubles kit here so a big investment, we would probably buy in the US though.

mykidsmom
05-18-2006, 04:24 PM
I am expecting a baby when my todder turns 2 and we are buying the P&T with the doubles kit. I could not find one bad review for it!

mom to little e
05-18-2006, 06:51 PM
We LOOOOOOVE our P&T Double. I agonized over which stroller to get (and looked at them all) and I don't regret this decision at all. It steers like a dream and works so well with the two kids (26 months apart). I love the size, it is pretty light for all that it does, works fine in store aisles, and even could work as a exercise/walking stoller. I think it was a great purchase for us and well worth it.

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

heatherlynn
05-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I agree! Although I have many strollers, this one is getting the most use by far. I have a Mac RT that I really like, too, but I'm just not using it much, so I'm thinking of selling it. The only bad things I've heard about the e3 are 1) kids in back seat possibly touching wheels, although the mudguards coming out should stop that, and 2) an awkward stage around 6months where the baby in back will sort of slump forward when they fall asleep, which makes their head rest on their chest; kind of like what happens sometimes when they fall asleep in a car seat. I haven't had problem #1 since my DD is still too young, and I think that problem #2 is really a problem for the parents and not for the child!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

MamaKath
05-20-2006, 09:29 PM
I have had a Kiwi for a few years. It is an older model, but I have done extensive comparison to the newer model (pics on site, link in sig). I have found it to be awonderful compromise to a true double (I have owned a bunch of these also ;-)) for most needs. It was a double when needed or a single when needed.

Currently I use it as a single and thought of selling it. Then a very wise stroller pal suggested keeping it. She reminded me that the extra seat can provide awesome storage on looooong days out (not that I usually need it with the paniers, babu tray, basket, and a diaper/tote bag). They are good strollers! I also really like the ABC's which are similar to my Kiwi Explorer in many respects.

Heather pointed out the main complaints. The only other one I could think of is the 2 part fold. That drives some folks bonkers!!! Never bothered me for long days, shopping, traveling, etc. It just made it not my first choice of doubles for errands. I often would use it with a sling though for that purpose.

HTH~

georgiegg
05-21-2006, 01:49 PM
>I was just wondering what people who have the Phil & Ted's E3
>with doubles kit think of it and if you think it is worth the
>money.

It is definitely pricey (quite a bit more than I really wanted to spend & I didn't even buy the millions of accessories). However, I have been enormously happy with the stroller. I really don't think there is any other double stroller out there that provides so many different features that I needed. I have a 28 month son and an 8 week daughter. We have been using it since my daughter's birth:

*It is lightweight yet can handle all sorts of terrain.
*It folds pretty easily and compactly but it feels sturdy
*It has a small footprint and can be steered through narrow aisles and doors.
*It steers one-handed and so very smoothly.
*It also can be used a single for an older child or single for a newborn.

Overall, I've been thrilled. That said, I do think there are a bunch of ways that it could be improved --it is like the makers have such a cool overall design that they didn't work as hard as they should on some details:

*There is likely to be a period of time when the younger child will not want to ride lying flat in the toddler/newborn position but is too small to ride in the toddler/toddler configuration
*The straps are stiff and a bit of a pain to adjust. I'm not sure it is even possible to get them tight enough on smallish babies. This may turn out to be a problem for us as my infant gets older and no longer wants to ride lying flat.
*The canopy could be larger
*My kids are small-average for their ages so it works fine for us, but I think the doubles seat might be cramped for a long-legged toddler.
*The basket is small and not very accessible in the toddler/newborn position
*The main seat recline is also a bit of a pain to adjust. It would be nice to be able to do it quickly.
*Overall, I just think the whole thing could have been better made. We already have a small tear & it has only been two months. But we have been using it a lot and very hard.

However, I want to emphasize, it really has been a great almost perfect stroller for us. My only real regrets are that it is a bit too much to think about using on public transportation (but what double stroller would be great at that?) and that it is so pricey. Otherwise, it is terrific. My only other option really would have been to buy two separate double-strollers (one heavy duty one for outdoors use only and one very lightweight one for the car & shopping). Given my storage space is limited and the cost of buying two doubles, I think the E3 was the best choice.

M

jray
05-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I love, love, love mine!! I, too, obsessed over doubles forever...then Babycenter had a sale, so I snagged one! Best stroller decision I ever made! :)

swampus
05-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I love mine! my kiddos were just under 18 mos. apart. I just think it's such a sleek, beautiful piece of machinery... and it's just such an ingenious design. It's a cool stroller.

carrie_geiger
05-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Another vote for P&T's E3! I too obsessed and over-researched before buying a double stroller.

It's so versatile w/all the different configurations.

It's SO easy to push and maneuver. In fact, b/c it was so easy to push, I started using this while still pregnant w/DC #2. (I hadn't planned to use it until we actually needed it for a double stroller, but it was so easy to push I couldn't resist.) I can steer this one-handed on our old neighborhood's old sidewalks that are in quite rough shape. I thought I'd be sad to retire our single stroller (which I really liked), but I didn't reach for it once we got the E3.

I did un-thread the shoulder straps from the top loops b/c my DS is small for his age, and the straps were too big until I did this.

My only complaint is the small sunshade, but I use a black RayShade to fix this problem.

It's a bit cumbersome to pick up once it's folded, but I've got the hang of it now.

My DH even likes it (which is saying a lot since he wasn't too keen on it at first, based on price). He's definitely not into brand names and material things, but I think he's actually quite proud of this stroller b/c it's so unique and so convenient. :-)

And, last but not least, my DS loves it. I wasn't sure if he'd adjust well to having a slight recline (it is not a perfectly upright seat, which was the only way he'd tolerate the single stroller), but he never protested and he just leans back comfortably, pointing to things as we pass by. Also, I think he's more comfortable due to the vented sides (he used to sweat profusely in our single stroller, even though it was supposed to be "breathable" fabric... this seems much better).

I don't have any of the P&T accessories. I've added only the RayShade (~$15), and it's meeting my needs w/o spending more money.

Bottom line: LOVE it. Wish I'd gotten this when DC #1 was born, even without knowing whether or not we'd be blessed w/DC #2 b/c it's so great (we could have forgone the single stroller). It was my "splurge" when expecting DC #2, and I don't regret it for a minute!

~Carrie

carrie_geiger
05-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh, I meant to add that I think you'll get a lot of use from this stroller with your kiddos being 14 months apart. They'll both be smaller/~same size for a while.

I think it'd be a good investment. (I got mine at BabyStyle.com and used a 20% off coupon at the beginning of the year.)

Good luck in making your decision!

~Carrie