PDA

View Full Version : Using infant carseat wtih stroller or not?

mykidsmom
05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
I am going to buy the Phil and Ted e3 as my double stroller for when I have my new baby in the fall. My daughter will be 2 at the time the baby is born.

My question is:
do you think I should sell my peg perego viaggo infant car seat (goes with my Peg P3 single stroller) and buy a snugride just so I can use the carseat WITH the P&T e3 stroller (P&T sells an attachment so you can use your carseat but it does not fit with a Peg Perego)...OR do you think I should just plan to move the baby from the car into the baby holder/area of the stroller w/o a carseat each time I use the stroller while she is still in an infant car seat?

Thanks!

Zansu
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Car seats are for use in the car. The baby will be happier in the stroller where s/he has a cozy place to stretch out.

nfowife
05-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Plus you can't use it in newborn toddler mode with a carseat. Does it work with the carseat adapater and the doubles seat underneath? I wouldn't bother at all.

pixiepower
05-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I second that! Baby will be much more comfy in the stroller. I know it is convenient to be able to use the infant car seat, but it really is perfectly fine to just use the actual stroller seat! As long as there is good enough recline.

mykidsmom
05-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for you replys. I do think I remember the store saying you can only use an infant seat if you are only with the baby and not the baby and the toddler. I expect to usually be with both so I guess I will not worry about having a carseat that adapts to the stroller this time around.

AddiesMom
05-18-2006, 08:16 PM
My DD was born in November and I live in New England. I used the car seat as a stroller (with a Combi Flash frame) until it got warmer out in March.

Joolsplus2
05-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Ok, this is an evil, horrible idea...but I find my carseat fits perfectly in my mountain buggy with the napper bar...if your toddler is sitting in the doubles kit underneath...well.. your's might fit in your stroller, too (terrible, i know i know...it actually fits in there really tight or I wouldn't even consider it, i promise!)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mykidsmom
05-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I can't use just a frame because I will also have a 2 yr old. I need something to carry both.

shilo
05-21-2006, 02:30 PM
just a thought, for a lot less than the price of a new snugride, you could just get a snap and go type frame (especialy if you picked up a used one on craigslist) for the peg carseat for the occasional times it might just be you and the baby going for a quick errand somewhere. otherwise, like a lot of mom's (and healthcare providers) out there, i'm a firm believer in taking them out and putting them in a proper 'infant-mode' stroller for anything longer than a 15minute type errand. sounds like it will be pretty rare to not have your 2yr old with you tho, so may not even be worth finding a craigslisted snap and go.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

marshmallow
05-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Like others have said, You can't use the carseat in the E3 and have a 2nd child ride at the same time (the front has to be in flat baby mode for the carseat)
Also, I've heard from many that the extra bar isn't necessary for the carseat to fit in.

This is the main reason I'm hesitant to buy the E3. My guy falls asleep in the car so easily, I don't want to wake him to put him in his stroller. I can go to the garden centre for an hour, plus a 45 minute drive each way, and he wakes up when we get home -- as though he didn't even leave the house.

He's much happier sitting up a bit. Plus if I'm out and have to feed him, I can't lay him back down for about half an hour after he eats or all his food just comes back up. So that adds up to an hour of sitting around at the mall for a feeding. If he's partially upright in his carseat, it's much easier to feed on the go.

sobers3
05-29-2006, 06:06 PM
You can use the car seat in the front seat of the E3. You can also unofficially wedge it in the back with you older child in the toddler seat attached up front. HTH

skipspin
05-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Yep, I was talking with an e-3 owner and they said that they have put their infant seat in the "bassinette" part of the e-3 and it worked great. It's also pretty low to the ground and I can see it being on the "safer" side. They had a toddler in the front seat. I would probably do it for a shorter trip.

lenad
05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
I totally second this. My dd was born in October and I live in Chicago. I did not have an infant car seat, and boy did I wish I did at times. It is no fun getting baby out of the car and into the stroller in the winter. In warmer weather I don't think one needs a car seat.