PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an ABC Buggy?

ahaglund
05-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Just when I thought I had narrowed my stroller search down to Valco or Mountain Buggy, I discovered the ABC Buggy.

If anyone has one of these and call give me any feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it. How does it compare to the E3 or the Runabout? It's more expensive - is it worth the extra $$? Also, how does the company handle any repairs, etc since there are not any retailers in the US?

I'm about to have #2 and am looking at either the single w/toddler seat attachments or the doubles.

Thank you!
Anna

hardysmom
05-21-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a single w/ a toddlerseat for my twins... I also have a MBUD and have been through an E3, Marco Sky and Aria Twin (and a ton of singles).

Though designed by the same people (Phil of Phil and Teds fame is the owner of ABC) It is totally different than a E3. Personally, it works a lot better for us. My twins were big wheel grabbers. Plus, I didn't like the way the E3 always tipped back when my kids tried to climb on it when unloaded. You also wouldn't have the awkward phase when baby is too big for newborn mode but needs more recline than the E3 toddler seat offers. Additionally, it has TONS of easily accessed storage space.

A couple other advantages are that you get some healthy one-on-one time with the toddlerseat rider and the kids can't mess with one another when riding. In comparison with an E3, another nice thing is that when you are using the todder mode w/ a E3 and your big kid is in the front, it becomes very tippy if the front rider gets in/out (which will happen a lot more as they grow and want to walk, go to the bathroom, etc) In an ABC, since the older kid isn't in the primary seat, they can get in/out w/o disturbing the younger child or the stroller falling over.

The biggest downside is that the fold, while simple, is very long. It won't fit in the trunk of many cars w/o removing the front (quick release) wheel, though I don't have a problem in my SUV. Another con may be that it isn't as easy to go up/down curbs or steps because it is top-heavy with a rider on the hood. If there are a lot of curbs/stairs in your strolling path, I would go with a MBUD or a Twin Valco. You would need the stability that goes with added width and a lower center of gravity.

There is a new hood/weather shield for the toddlerseat. Phil just sent me some photos. Some people have also rigged up Valco hoods on the ABC ts as well.

So far as construction goes, it is better made than either Valco or Phil and Teds- it is hand made in NZ as opposed to mass produced in China. I would say it is on par with my '04 Mountain Buggy but with a few more bells and whistles. It is VERY well engineered. They try to keep the cost in the same ball-park as MB.

Customer Service is amazing. I had a piece break in transit from NZ and Phil shipped the part so it was here in less than a week. He goes WAY beyond-the-call to service his US customers b/c he wants to be in this market. It is VERY easy to fix an ABC as long as you have parts, so I don't thing it is a big issue.

There was a big co-op a couple of years ago on SWAP and I would say 1-2 a month come up for sale. You might want to check that out.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Stephanie

strollerqueen
05-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Actually, Phil and Ted did NOT design the E3. Their model was the Kiwi Explorer, so that's why you may see similarities with that model to the ABC. The E3 was created after they left the company. Glad the ABC is working for you! :)

ahaglund
05-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Stephanie,

Thanks so much for the feedback. Is the quality on par (or better) than the MBUD? Does it take an infant car seat?

I may try to start out with a twin version of either the Mountain Buggy or ABC -- any advice???

Much appreciated!
Anna

p.s. What's SWAP?

hardysmom
05-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Sorry- I should have clarified that. I wrote to Phil at one point that older Explorers were in demand in certain circles and it made him smile. He designed it with his dad. I think the E3 is swell looking, but the Explorer a better design.

Yes, thank you, I am loving the ABC. One has to be a little careful with it in some situations, like around curbs, but all-in-all it is pretty cool.

Stephanie

hardysmom
05-21-2006, 09:09 PM
I couldn't say about an infant seat as my kids were out of them long before my ABC arrived.

The construction is in the same league as my '04 MBUD, which I think is more sturdy than the newer models. I would say that the '04 MB is more sturdy in a tank sort of way while the ABC has more cool features, like a HUGE detachable basket which doubles as a backpack. The adjustable handle on the ABC telescopes so it won't get wobbly from use like the newer MBs.

Steering on the MB is a little better, though the ABC can easily be steered one handed. Personally, I find the steering a little better than an E3 in doubles and quite a lot better than a Valco w/ a toddlerseat.

Comparing doubles to doubles, is a hard question for me since I have never pushed the ABC Twin and I don't really know the specs. I would ask that question on SWAP where there are more people who have tried both. Plus, since I have an older MB (and 2 yr old twins) my answers may be a little different. I will say that while I LOVE my ABC, my MBUD is the stroller we will have until my girls are totally finished riding because I need a SBS and my ABC is a single with a toddler seat.

Stephanie

thing1andt2
05-22-2006, 08:17 AM
I have an ABC double, it has been my favorite stroller for the last 2 years.

The MBUD does steer marginally better, but honestly the ABC double still has awesome steering so that doesn't bother me a bit. I chose it over the MBUD because of the more upright seats (my kids hated the reclining sling style seats on the MBUD. They liked to be upright), and the napper bar with crotch strap (again, my kids love this feature). The seats also to me, seem roomier than the MBUD. My kids are 3.5 and we have the xtra tall canopy and they will fit in this stroller for a long time.

It does not accept a car seat, but is good for newborns. Recline is nearly flat (maybe 20 degrees) and it is enclosed on 3 sides, which I love (you know how behind the head is usually exposed?). I will use a snuggler or something with my newborn in the fall for head support.

My biggest complaint is the fold, actually I think that is my only complaint! But I have an SUV and a minivan so not a make it or break it issue for me at all.

This will be my stroller I have forever, as I can see the twins riding in it for a long time, and I know we'll still take it places for the baby and one twin to ride even after the twins are old enough to just be walkers.

Good luck, honestly you are looking at some great strollers you can't go wrong, it is just a matter of picking the one that is best for you, your kids, your habits and your car.

thing1andt2
05-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Anna I forgot to ask how old is your first child? That would help in suggesting the double over the single with toddler seat or vice versa.

ahaglund
05-22-2006, 02:51 PM
>Anna I forgot to ask how old is your first child? That would
>help in suggesting the double over the single with toddler
>seat or vice versa.

My son will be 18 months when the new baby arrives. I'm leaning towards a double b/c I like to walk for exercise, so I want both kids to be comfortable for long stretches of time. The only hesitation is the size. So if it's really a pain to get in and out of the car, I might just have to break down and get a second stroller that's for car trips. (We have a Volvo wagon, so it's pretty roomy in the back and I might be able to get away with the bigger doubles.)

And since we are planning on having three kids, a double with the toddler seat might be the way to go (thinking way into the future...).

p.s. How does the fold of the ABC compare with MB? It is more difficult to breakdown? Or just bigger (longer)?

Thanks!
Anna

ahaglund
05-22-2006, 02:53 PM
>I couldn't say about an infant seat as my kids were out of
>them long before my ABC arrived.
>
>The construction is in the same league as my '04 MBUD, which I
>think is more sturdy than the newer models. I would say that
>the '04 MB is more sturdy in a tank sort of way while the ABC
>has more cool features, like a HUGE detachable basket which
>doubles as a backpack. The adjustable handle on the ABC
>telescopes so it won't get wobbly from use like the newer MBs.
>
>
>Steering on the MB is a little better, though the ABC can
>easily be steered one handed. Personally, I find the steering
>a little better than an E3 in doubles and quite a lot better
>than a Valco w/ a toddlerseat.
>
>Comparing doubles to doubles, is a hard question for me since
>I have never pushed the ABC Twin and I don't really know the
>specs. I would ask that question on SWAP where there are more
>people who have tried both. Plus, since I have an older MB
>(and 2 yr old twins) my answers may be a little different. I
>will say that while I LOVE my ABC, my MBUD is the stroller we
>will have until my girls are totally finished riding because I
>need a SBS and my ABC is a single with a toddler seat.
>
>Stephanie

Stephanie,

Sorry to ask more questions, but what's SWAP? I've never heard of it!

Thanks,
Anna

thing1andt2
05-22-2006, 04:28 PM
With only 18 months in between I would without a doubt get the double over the single and toddler seat. Easier for going for walks, or for days when the kids will be in the stroller for a longer time. I think the fold is as easy as the MBUD, it is just that it is so long. The wheels do pop off super easy.

You could always get a safety 1st tandem to throw in the car for trips when you don't have room for the AT. If you travel via airplane you would want something like that anyways and they are pretty cheap (well compared to an ABC!!) I think someone on Swap is selling one.

And for whoever asked, SWAP is a stroller group on Yahoo full of stroller enthusiasts sharing information, helping others make stroller choices and selling strollers.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

hardysmom
05-22-2006, 05:14 PM
It may not fit without removing a wheel in the back of a Volvo wagon. I have an Outback and I think I would have to take off the ABC wheel, though I've never tried to load it in that car.

You could always email Phil at ABC and ask the dimensions w/o removing the wheel. I would agree that it is easy to fold, just long.

The only problem with the twin and 3 siblings (as opposed to twins and a older sibling) is that with the toddlerseat attached the hood height is pretty low. I would say it would fit an average child up to about 3, probably not more than 3.5. There is an extra-tall canopy, but it can't be used with the toddlerseat.

Stephanie

Ohio_Mom
05-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I'd purchased an ABC single and had to sell it because I couldn't fit it into the trunk of my Accord with the wheels still attached, just because the fold is so ridiculously long. I had no desire to remove/attach wheels every time I needed to take it somewhere, so I sold it. Also, the toddler seat is fairly labor-intensive to attach and remove, so it's not something you can easily just pop on or off as you need it (unlike the Valco or E3). Folding it with the toddler seat attached makes it very tall as well as long, which meant it was both too tall AND too long for my trunk. If you have a big SUV or van, it could work for you. But I'd be reluctant to get the ABC if you just have a small or mid-size sedan.