PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for an Umbrella Stroller - NOT Maclaren

lhannan
05-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi Folks,

I just ordered an 06 Valco Runabout Tri Mode yesterday and I can't wait for it to arrive!

Now I need to get an umbrella stroller for quick in and out trips. I am a new mom and I checked out the Maclarens because everyone seems to have them. My husband was not impressed with the rigid frame and found the strollers "rickety". The salesperson explained that Macs are built on fixed frames instead of flexible frames.

My husband is 6'4", so we are looking for a nice riding umbrella stroller, preferably with extendable/longer handles, with a flexible frame. I would prefer to try and purchase something around $100 or less. I want to try and avoid a Mac.

Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!

Momof3Labs
05-22-2006, 08:27 AM
You could check out Kidco for higher handles. But I don't know if you'll find an umbrella that feels sturdier than a Mac, unless you go with a Zippy or P3 (which are a lot more than $100). Combis have a flexible frame (which IMO makes them feel very rickety, not sure why you'd like that better than a fixed frame) but very short handles.

catfeet
05-22-2006, 08:41 AM
You could also look at the Jeep Kolcraft All Terrain. Nice little umbrella with taller handles, but not extendable. They run $30 or $40 depending on model.

HTH,
Ann

Joolsplus2
05-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Oh gosh, I even kicked the wheels on that, and I'm not tall at all (The handles are so spread out and cool looking, lol).

Inglesina Swift? Chicco Caddy? I'm thinking if anyone thinks mac don't feel solid, they haven't compared any other brand :(
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

mariza
05-22-2006, 05:30 PM
How about a Zooper Salsa?
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_8/601-8198293-3258544?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000CR3XLE

It's hard to find one to test drive IRL, but if you order from Target.com you can return it to the store (just make sure you save your invoice)

BTW, the Target says it is carseat compatible, they are wrong, you can't use it with a carseat.
http://www.zooper.com/escape-salsa.html

It doesn;t have adjustable handles, but they are 39.7 inches long. HTH!

kellyotn
05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Isn't Kidco basically a Mac-knockoff? I don't think she'd like them if she didn't like Macs.... They are great strollers, though.

Its funny, because the thing I love about my Macs (one single, one double) is how *sturdy* they are!! Their weight limit is 55 lbs, which is way higher than lots of brands. I guess I don't think rickety at all with them! ;) My single is nearly four years old, on its second kid and is a trooper. It still feels as solid as it did on day one.

I think a Zooper might be a good choice, they are heavier and well-built and maybe will have the feel you are looking for.

hipmaman
05-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Can I ask what are 'fixed frame' and 'flexible frame' strollers? Examples?

I also wonder if it was a 'rickety' floor model you tried. Btw, which model was it?

I'm also a Mac person. Two kids, way over 30 strollers later, I still like Macs, as I have had about 6-7 Macs (doubles and singles) now.

winterbaby
05-23-2006, 05:58 AM
I have an MBUS and am using my Combi City Savvy Select as my quick-trip stroller and I LOVE it. They raised the handle on the 2006 model so it works fine for me (I'm 5' 6 and my husband is 5'10").

I agree about the macs...I must have tried every stroller in buy buy baby and was shocked by how expensive they were for what they are. i wasn't impressed at all.

my3lilgals
05-23-2006, 10:26 AM
"Rickety" and "Maclaren" are words you don't hear together all that often. Have you tried a Combi? While many love them, I think we can all agree that they definitely do feel much rickety-er than a Mac!

I don't know what to tell you; I bought my Quest because it was the most non-rickety umbrella stroller I tried!

lmwbasye
05-23-2006, 08:56 PM
How about a Chicco Tuscany? Discontinued, but you can find them new on Ebay still and a great stroller, from what I've heard (sturdier than the macs, but has a lower weight limit).

Laura :)

lhannan
05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Maybe it was the floor model I tested? All of my friends seem to like theirs, but I was just not impressed for the price. Love the styling and features, but just was not that wild about the stroller when I took the handles and rocked it side to side. Something was not right. Could have been the model. A lot of folks here are really pushing Macs, so maybe I should bite the bullet and give them a try.....can always sell it on eBay if I hate it.

hudsonam
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Much to my husband's dismay, I just bought the Quest on Amazon for $127.50 and free shipping. I had to call them to get the free shipping though. There must have been a glitch in the system and it was still showing shipping charges.

They also have them on sale for $140 and $160 at www.specialtybaby.com, and that's a great site. Super fast shipping.

I tried out the Quest yesterday and loved it. I was never impressed by Macs, but when I got together with a friend of ours the other day and really looked at hers, I decided it was way better than my Chicco Caddy and I had to have it. ;)

Canna
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
We have a Zooper Swing, and recently got a Mac Volo for travel. The Mac feels sturdier to me and is much easier to steer. The Mac feels tight (in a good way, not loosey-goosey).

I "test drove" a Zooper Salsa and Mac Volo and liked that the Volo had (slightly) higher handlebars, higher weight limit, and carrying strap.

carolines mommy
05-24-2006, 05:05 PM
The Mac Techno I have feels sturdier than my P3 or the completely rickety, flimsy feeling Combi City Savvy I also have. Is there another store you can look at for strollers? Maybe there was something wrong with the Mac you test drove? There is a Mac Techno at Albee baby for $180 right now. http://www.specialtybaby.com/ma20textstin.html

I'm not trying to push a Mac on you, they just seem to have the highest handles on them which will make it so much more comfy for your DH to push. My BIL is 6'3" and actually commented that he liked pushing the Techno on our family trip because he didn't have to bend over and he didn't kick the wheels.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

samiam
05-24-2006, 06:28 PM
I also think it would be a great idea to test drive another Mac. It does sound like something may have been wrong with the one you tried as I've never heard anyone describe a Mac as rickety. I have one and love how sturdy it is. Lightweight and steers like a dream. Okay, so the baskets suck - no room - and they're tippy - can't hang a heavy diaper bag off of them. But despite that, I LOVE mine. And they work for tall parents or stroller kickers.

mammabella
05-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Another Mac Volo fan here. Don't forget the all important aesthetics. I got a hot pink Volo and it rocks, by far the coolest looking stroller I've ever had (and I'm on my 10th or so). Plus, it's the only stroller that fits comfortably in the teeny-tiny little space between the 3rd row and the back of my Explorer. I got it at Albeebaby.com for $89.99. Highly recommend.

Stacy

CarrieMaro
05-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you've gotten lots of great advice about Macs. I've only tried their double, but liked it -- sturdy. The handles are higher than most others I've tried. I did want to put in a plug for the Inglesina Zippy, though. I love ours. It's put up beautifully with lots of abuse. I can't believe how clean the seat stays, given that my son does a lot of snacking in it! It folds like a dream and isn't too heavy to lift into my SUV. It might be what you're looking for if you get handle extenders. Just a thought. Good luck!

Joolsplus2
05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I've had my Volo for 4 years now, and I was wanting something new and snazzy for travel with my new baby...I pushed a few things, considered this and that, even bought a smartbuggy from www.totsongo.com, and I STILL decided to bring my Volo on our trip this summer. It does feel like it wobbles on bumps, but more like it's 'walking' over bumps, with just enough 'give' in the suspension and frame to feel comfy for me to push and baby to ride in, and I can fold it up *fast* and love the carry strap and NEVER kick the wheels!
:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kellyotn
05-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Was there a baby in it? They are really light, maybe a floor model (slightly abused), rocked side to side (not a normal movement) with no weight in it just seemed weird....?

The opposite of a Mac would be a Combi. They have a frame with a lot of "give" to it. Most people agree they feel flimsy. But, they are supposed to do that I guess. I don't have one, so I can't really give a personal impression.

Hey, there's no shame in just not liking Macs!! ;) Different strokes and all that. But there are so many good deals now, it'd be smart to make sure that you weren't just seeing a bad apple. ;)