PDA

View Full Version : Selling my MBUD and getting a Burley or Chariot instead?

willow33
05-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Just looking for any advice or thoughts on selling my MBUD and getting a Burley D'lite or Chariot Cougar 2. I like my MB, but the idea of having something that can be used as a stroller, jogger and for biking is really intriging. We only use our MB outside so I'm not really worried about width for stores, etc... Plus we have a Mac triumph and a sit n' stand (that I hate) for mall-crawling. Are the bike trailers always completely enclosed or can you open the front when using it as a stroller? We have two kids, 1 and 3.

Decisions, decisions....

kellyotn
05-23-2006, 03:52 PM
The Chariot Cougar 2 has a mesh net enclosure and a clear plastic flap that can go over the mesh. Both can be rolled up and out of the way. I rarely use either, except for biking. Sometimes my DD says she likes the mesh down if its really sunny on a walk.

I got it instead of getting a cheaper jogger-type stroller and a cheaper trailer. I liked just having one thing taking up space.

I've been very happy with it. It pushes wonderfully, the kids have been super comfy. (Now nearly 2, and 3.5 years. We've had it for almost a year.) They love bringing along tons of toys on my long walks. And, they LOVE it when we go biking. "Go FAST!" ;)

The Burley has better storage. I like Chariot's walking kits a lot better. They both have suspension, Burley's in in the seats (I believe) and the Cougar's in on the frame itself. They both are very high quality and hold their value (as does your MBUD).

Do a search, they have been talked about quite a bit in recent months.

Good luck!

hardysmom
05-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I have a Chariot Corsaire (the more bike trailer version of the Cougar) and a MBUD.

The MBUD pushes better in stroller mode. Sometimes my wheels are a little wobbly in the Chariot in stroller mode when I am walking quickly. That said, I often use our Chariot for neighborhood walks, particularly when it is cool or windy. I also fine it easier to push up steep hills.

Stephanie

willow33
05-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Stephanie and Kelly for your help. Just one more quick question for you both. When you say "stroller mode", do you mean with the two swivel wheels or the fixed large wheel?

kellyotn
05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
I have both, though I primarily use the swiveling walking wheels. I love them madly.

I've used the stroller at a fair on gravel and grass. Once in a while it would be difficult to push b/c the small front wheels would get stuck, but its extremely easy to tip it back and stroll along on the back wheels for a bit. That's the only "issue" I've ever had with them. Used it that way on trails, grass, sidewalks, gravel and everything in between. For real running, the fixed is nicer, obviously. But, I rarely run. ;) And, at the fair, the fixed would have been good too, but then it would have been longer and harder to turn, so all in all I'm using swivel again this year at the fair.

I use it for errands a lot, we go into the library, stores, etc. It works great! Its tight, but if a building is wheel-chair compliant it should fit.

hudsonam
05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
If you didn't already see this, Chariots are on sale at www.reioutlet.com for I think $269. I just ordered one. I too figured it was better then buying an inexpensive jogger and separate trailer. I can't wait to get it!

willow33
05-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately the one on sale is only for 1 child and I need one for 2 kids. Great deal though! Hope you like it :)

hipmaman
05-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I have both the Chariot trailer and an MBDU. I like them both for different purposes, but a few things that others didn't mention and I will is the space for the kids.

If your kids are good with sharing and sitting next to one another without killing one another, then the Chariot is a good option. It actually allows you to take only one child in the middle or on one side or two kids side by side.

If you think they need their space, the individual seats and little divider in between the seats are often what keeps your sanity.

Transporting the Chariot might mean popping the wheels off if you don't have big trunk space that can accomodate 20" wheel size.

There is also no recline in the Chariot. Would your 1 yr old be okay with that?

Other than these 'minor' things, either option is good.

kellyotn
05-23-2006, 09:40 PM
>There is also no recline in the Chariot. Would your 1 yr old
>be okay with that?

My son was exactly a year when we got ours. He slept every day in it when I walked, no problems. Thank goodness! It was something I was VERY worried about before it came. There's a bit of a natural recline to it and with the padded shoulder straps, he was a great sleeper in it.

His sister rode in it alone for that first summer b/c he wasn't a fan of the helmet, but now he just loves going biking. Actually, he gives me a bit of grief when we're just walking. "Faster!" ;)

I can see how the "personal space" issue would be a problem. For the most part, mine are pretty good. They rode in either a Mac TT (granted, not as divided as a MBUD) or the Cougar 2, and are actually a bit better in the Cougar b/c they can have so many toys and books along. Give my DD her My First LeapPad and DS a truck, and all is good. ;)

I don't know, I'd probably have a very hard time giving up an MBUD! But I do really love my Cougar 2 and it was the right choice for our situation.

hardysmom
05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Sorry- The swivel wheels get a little wobbly sometimes. Not a big deal for me, but it isn't really my primary walking stroller.

With the jogging wheel, it is very true.

Stephanie

willow33
05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the info! We are seriously considering getting the Chariot Cougar 2. It seems like Burley is more popular, but all the reviews I read indicate that the Chariot is just better overall. Plus the Chariot has a window on top so I can see my kids while strolling...the Burley doesn't.

Now I just have to find the best price. I think if I buy it through REI (we are members so we would get the dividend on it) plus use ebates and then pick it up at the store that would be my best option. Who knows maybe I can convince my dh to keep both the MB and the new Chariot...not likely, but a girl can dream can't she :)

mominma
05-24-2006, 03:02 PM
There is a 10% off REI code "NWSRB"

Everything helps with the big purchases!

Melissa
DS 9/00
DD 3/03
It's a GIRL 8/30/05

strollinmama
05-24-2006, 10:43 PM
We have a Burley and a MBUD, we have only used the Burley for biking (so far)

I have a question for those of you who do use the Burley/Chariot as a primary stroller/walker/jogger

Does it get hot in there for the kids?

Since it has the plastic enclosure on all 3 sides (and a optional front flap if you need it) it seems like it would be hot in there to me.

willow33
05-25-2006, 03:20 PM
That coupon has expired...bummer! Thanks anyway :)