PDA

View Full Version : new twin mom question: Graco duoglider v. double snap and go

gilliesgal
05-26-2006, 07:38 AM
My friend Christine in on bedrest in the hospital and has no internet access. She is 30 wks pg with twins and has everything she thinks she needs except her stroller/infant seats. She currently lives in Brooklyn (walk-up w/o elevator) but will be moving to Milwaukee soon and become more of a suburban mom.

She is planning to get two Graco infant carriers (not sure if she's getting Snugrides or the new Safe Seats, I'm thinking the newer ones though because of the extended weight) and is debating between getting a Graco duoglider or a double snap and go. I'm a singleton mom that used a Snugride and has a P3, so I can't offer any advice. I told her I'd post a questions to the experts on this board.

Here are some of her concerns:
1) She's 5'6 and her husband is 6'2 -- so should be something that they can both use.

2) She's worried about being able to fit it in the trunk of her car and open/close it easily. She thinks the snap n go would be lighter, but maybe more flimsy given it will extend out further as a double.

3) She thinks that she'll get another stroller for when the girls are bigger, so wants to make sure she's being economical now.

4) Something that will work well in a suburban situation (out of car, through parking lot, into mall/grocery store/etc.; as well as suburban sidewalks, parks, etc.

I personally am not a fan of the travel system approach, but maybe a double stroller situation requires different considerations.

Please let me know what you think and what advice to give her. Thanks!!!

-Kellie

hardysmom
05-26-2006, 10:20 AM
DOUBLE SNAP N' GO!!!!!

It really is an essential with twins and both the construction and utility is better than a DuoGlider. Most twin moms that actually had one will agree (I don't know any exceptions) that it may be the best "twin thing" in the arsonal.

I have an older DS which is how I got involved in the whole stroller thing and was pretty anti-travel system, but multiples require a different approach. For example, something as simple as getting your kids from the car to the house or a restaurant while holding a single shopping bag and a diaper bag is pretty much impossible while hauling 2 carseats w/o a carrier. The SNGD is SO much smaller than a DuoGlider, folds small and easily, self-stands, has a huge basket, and costs under $100.

One of my girls was born with plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome) from in-utero constraint and had to wear a helmet to reshape her skull for 6 mo, so I am very aware of the "flat-head" risks from over use of car seats. This is heightened with twins since they often come early, with softer skulls and longer sleep/wake cycles. Still, I whole-heartedly endorse the Snap N Go. You do what you have to do...

Many twin moms abandon their DuoGliders for SBS once they are out of the carseats and they don't have much resale value, as opposed to SNGDs which are easily re-sold at a twin-club sale, consignment store, or on ebay. Post-carseat (which with twins will typically be around 9-12 mo, as opposed to 6-9 mo with singletons) many of us find that SBS work better for a multitude of reasons, but many are resistant to the idea (too wide, etc) until faced with the real-life challenges of raising multiples.

So far as height goes- my neighbors, who had twins at the same time as we did, are 6'2 and 6'5. They used a SNGD with their twins from the time their 31 week preemies came home (after 5 weeks in NICU) until about 8 mo. I never heard anything about it being too short.

The wheels on the SNG are fine for suburban life, neighborhood walks, etc. I had a MBUD from the beginning which I used for most longer (ha,ha) outings, but the wheels on the SNG are bigger than the wheels on, say, your P3. It will be OK. So far as getting in/out of a trunk, no problem. I think it weighs 3-4 lbs more than your P3, if that helps. The DuoGliger is much heavier and bulkier. People haul them around all the time, so it can be done, but it does require more effort.

So far as construction goes, either one should certainly last for the duration of the carseat phase so it isn't really an issue. Neither is in the same league as a Mountain Buggy, but for the cost, one wouldn't expect it, you know? I can say I could steer my SNGD one handed, which is something I couldn't do with a DuoGlider.

Hope this helps. Stephanie

Hardy 4.5 yrs
Blythe and Charlotte 2 yrs

gilliesgal
05-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Fabulous! Thanks Stephanie. I am going to read your message to her and I'm sure she'll be sold. Appreciate the insights and the time to respond!

-Kellie

CajunMama
05-26-2006, 02:25 PM
I agree with Stephanie- A double snap-n-go!!!

I have almost 4mo twins and the SNGD was a godsend. I just bought a Valco twin with toddler seat as my main stroller( since I have a 2 1/2 yo as well), but the snap-n-go is a much better choice than the Duoglider. And I love love love my Valco ;)

Here are some of her concerns:
1) She's 5'6 and her husband is 6'2 -- so should be something that they can both use.

My DH is 6' and I'm 5'2" we both used the SNGD easily

2) She's worried about being able to fit it in the trunk of her car and open/close it easily. She thinks the snap n go would be lighter, but maybe more flimsy given it will extend out further as a double.

I have a Passat Wagon and had plenty of room for the stroller. We used it with Grago Snugride seats.

3) She thinks that she'll get another stroller for when the girls are bigger, so wants to make sure she's being economical now.

I agree that she will want to wait to get her "main" stroller. there are so many options out there, and so many things to consider.

4) Something that will work well in a suburban situation (out of car, through parking lot, into mall/grocery store/etc.; as well as suburban sidewalks, parks, etc.

She will be taking the twins out more often than she thinks, and multiples are difficult to transport. the SNGD is so easy to take to dr appts, restaurants, and I even used mine when I walked in the Komen Race for the Cure. it is by no means a jogger, but fine to use for the short walk around the neighborhood.

HTH

Liz
SAHM to Evan 12/10/03 and twins Catherine & David 1/30/06