PDA

View Full Version : Non-tippy light-weight umbrella strollers? Need opinions.

MNmomtobe
05-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I am looking for a stroller that is cushy that can be reclined far for an infant (maybe a 3 month old? or 6 mo old?) for naps but one that isn't very tippy. This would be my main indoor, in-the-car stroller. I would prefer 15 lbs or lighter if possible. Since a lot of these strollers have small baskets I know I would be hanging stuff off the handles.
I know the Macs are tippy. Is the Mac Ryder just as tippy?
How about the Zooper Twist or Inglesina Urbe?
If I can't find what I'm looking for with the tippiness thing, I may just get a P3 and stick with that for the long haul though it's heavier.

leslieu
05-29-2006, 12:17 AM
I would definitely advice that you go look at the strollers IRL that interest you, if you can. You might end up liking one over the other.

I just went thought deciding between Mac's Techno XT and the P3. Can't help with any info. on the Zopper or the Inglesina. I ended up getting a 2006 P3, that I absolutely love and so does DS. Althought the P3 is bigger and bulkier than Mac's Techno XT. The P3 has a roomier seat and IMO feels cushier than the Macs.

I did research and test drove both the Techno and the P3.

Techno XT 2006:
-The canopy has a see though the little window.
-Large canopy that unzips to release the canopy forward like an accordion and give more sun coverage. (comparable to P3)
-Excellent steering. (By far the best I've experienced)
-Weight limit 55 lbs.
-Weight 14.5 lbs. (2005 model 17 lbs)
-High back for taller children.
-Sits low to the ground
- Easy fold & open
-Height adjustable handles

P3 2006:
-Large basket & hooks to hold a diaper bag.
-Large canopy gives great sun coverage. (comparable to Techno XT)
-Weight limit 45 lbs
-Weight 16 lbs
-Foot board for older child (from what I'd hear it works ok for kids that about 4/5 or older)
-Steering is good
-Height adjustable handles (comparable to Techno XT)
-No tipping over
-Sits higher of the ground (great for older kids w/ long legs)
-Stand alone after folded (If you can figure it out - lol The front wheels have to be positioned under the stroller facing forward)

You could also consider the Pilko Lite, it has all the great features of the P3 without height adjustable handles, rear foot board and snack tray. Weighs only 13 lbs. I would have gotten the Pilko Lite, but DS wouldn't be able to live w/out a snack tray.

My short review of Techno XT and P3
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=73787&mode=full&page=2

Queensgirl
05-29-2006, 12:47 AM
I believe Strollerqueen has a review of the new Inglesinas on her site. The Urbe is over 15lbs. The Trip might meet your criteria (lighter than the Urbe, more substantial than the Swift). The Zooper Twist is supposedly 13lbs. and can be used from 3months till 40lbs. I've seen it IRL and it's a nice, compact little stroller (comes w/nice extras). Overall, I think the Macs have the best steering, although the tippiness is always a factor. Most people fill the basket and try not to hang too much from the handles, or remove the bags before their child gets out. Anyway, if the tippiness is too much of a factor look into the other umbrella strollers (also Chicco and Jeep Wrangler-cheaper than the previous strollers).

winterbaby
05-29-2006, 09:13 AM
A few weeks ago I tested out a bunch of strollers on the same quest you are. I wanted one to be my leave-in-the-trunk stroller for my 6 month old. I loved the P3 but wanted something smaller and lighter since it wasn't going to be the stroller I use outside and I didn't wnt to spend that much on a second stroller (I use my MBUS for outdoors).

anyway, my own opinion was that i was diappointed with the mac's. I had looked forward to loving them since so many people on here recommened them, but personally I wasn't impressed at all and thought the price seemed out of line with what they are. i also knew a napper bar was important to me (so that eliminated the chicco;s for me) since my daughter loves the bugs on board toy bar so we got the Combi city savvy select. the newwer 2006 model has higher handle bar so that fixed their problem of having to slump over if you are tall. I really love this stroller and so does my daughter. can't beat it for the price and the lightness of it, it's small and easy to fold and unfold and the seat is a million times better than the volo. I don't find it tippy in the slightest and I have the stras from kiwi kid so I just hang bags on it when I'm at the mall. I also have my skip hop on it w/o a problem.

the only negative is the basket is a joke but with the clips on the handle to hang bags it's been fine.

have fun shopping!

marshmallow
05-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi. We had to fly somewhere with our 3 month old and had to find something in a hurry, and didn't have time to special order anything else. But we ended up with a Maclaren Triumph. The back seat reclines a bit and it says it's suitable for 3 months and up. Our little guy did just fine in it at 3 months. I had a head rest from a car seat 'cuddle bag' that I threaded the shoulder straps through to help him out when he fell asleep. It's way more padded than the volo, and it only weighs 11 lbs. Really easy to toss into the vehicle one handed (and I'm only 5 feet, 105 lbs. my 6 foot hubby finds it just fine to push around too. Easy to steer.
The only downside I see to this stroller is that it doesn't have an extendable leg rest --- Had I had time to order something I may have tried the chicco c5 stroller since it has the leg rest (but it ways 3lbs more)and is about half the price. It says 6months and up, but it has the same kind of back recline mechanism as the triumph, so I think it would be fine for 3 months as well.
-as for not tipping- If you take the baby out first, yes it tips. But we had our 13lb baby in it, and my diaper bag on the handles just fine. My diaper bag (fleurville sling tote) fits in the bottom basket actually, but only if the seat is up all the way. It's hard to get it in and out, but it's do-able.
I like it enough that I'm thinking of tossing my full size stroller as soon as my baby is too big for the matching carseat.

MNmomtobe
05-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Do you remember if the Twist was tippy? I like that it comes with the extras and would love to have a Zooper.

Queensgirl
05-29-2006, 09:49 PM
It feels more "substantial" (dare I say heavier) than a Quest, so maybe not tippy. However, I didn't try hanging any bags from the handles, so I don't know for sure. I actually saw it at Little Folks in NYC and it caught my attention. It's nice, but not as maneuverable as the Quest (not a huge difference but noticeable, IMO). The Hula is also very nice and comes w/great extras, but is definately heavier. Here is their site. They have free shipping & the owner (I'm assuming) seemed pretty helpful. Maybe you can ask him. Good luck in your search.

http://littlefolks.stores.yahoo.net/zo20twstfrup1.html