PDA

View Full Version : Help me please: I need a jogger!

tarynsmum
05-26-2006, 07:41 PM
OK, I'm VERY new to this forum (we don't usually use a stroller). DH really wanted to start jogging again in the evenings, since it's getting warmer here (FINALLY!), and I want to buy him a nice jogger so that he can take the baby with him 1) so they can "bond" and 2) to get them out of the house for a little bit every night ;).

I have no idea where to even start! Our streets are pretty kinda hilly with little to no sidewalks (the sidewalks are pretty bumpy), so I guess I need something with shocks? I also need a decent recline, since it will be evening when it'll be primarily used (in case she falls asleep). DH is pretty normal height-wise (around 6 foot), so I doubt handles will be aproblem for him.

I don't want to go crazy price-wise, but I am willing to perhaps splurge a little (since it'll probably be DH's Father's Day present!)

Please, please help me!

TIA!

bubbaray
05-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Most pedi's recommend waiting until 12m to actually jog with a baby. Some people try "light" jogging after 6m, but I would ask your dr first. Their heads are disproportionately larger than their neck muscles are strong, even once they can hold their heads up.

DH and I were both avid marathoners pre-baby and he did Ironman too. We waited until DD was close to 12m to jog with her (though we did use the jogger for walks).

You won't find many (any?) decent joggers with a full recline. Most only have a partial recline, and they are usually pretty minimal at that.

For jogging, look for at least 16" wheels and a handbrake. I like a decent canopy and storage for things like a raincover. An aluminum frame is lightest and will not rust. Also look for a aluminum rims and hubs. A 5pt harness is important. Some are padded, as are some seats. Our jogger even has Coolmax seats.

Check out joggingstroller.com for some comparisons and reasonable prices.

Good luck!
Melissa

Maya Papaya!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

tarynsmum
05-26-2006, 08:15 PM
DH hasn't really jogged at all in at least, I don't know, 3 years (and I mean not once), so I doubt he'll be seriously running. It'll be light jogging at best (and probably just walking to start out, until she's older). I guess I should change the recline thing: it doesn't need a FULL recline, just something (even in our reg. stroller, I just recline about halfway when she's sleeping).

I hope that makes sense.

chicagojo
05-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I have a jogger called the Tike Tech ATX that has a reclining seat - many joggers have a "sling" style seat that doesn't change position at all but I think mine reclines almost fully (it's in storage right now or I'd check it to be sure). It's a decent quality jogging stroller for under $200. I've done light jogging with it (5 miles/day or less) and also used it as my primary beach and snowy weather stroller. The only downside is, the canopy is really not so great, but I bought a Rayshade which improved things. I reviewed this stroller in the product reviews section of this board so you can look for my review to find out more...