PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight, compact stroller to compliment all-terrain

mimieliza
05-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I am due in November, and I'm trying to choose a lightweight stroller. We have bought an all-terrain to use when the baby is a few months older (BOB Revolution purchased brand new off of Craigslist for $200 - woo hoo!) and now we are looking for something smaller.

I don't plan on using the stroller much right away - it's just going to be so cold, so we'll either sling/bjorn, or use the infant carseat to get quickly from the car to inside.

Preferences -
-Small umbrella-style fold. We looked at the P3, which I love, but decided the fold is just too bulky. We preferred the fold of the Mac Techno, but that's out of our price range.
-Under $200
-Holds infant carseat (Graco Safeseat)
-Large sun canopy
-Good recline - not necessarily flat, but good enough for naps

I am strongly considering the Zooper Twist, but have not been able to find one to look at. I like that it comes with a UV protection cover. I'm also considering the Graco Mosaic - it is inexpensive and I know the Safeseat will fit into it (although the canopy is useless - so small).

Another option is getting a carseat frame in addition to a lightweight stroller, so any suggestions that do not hold a carseat are appreciated as well.

Thank you so much for your ideas!

AddiesMom
05-30-2006, 05:32 AM
My DD was born on November 9 and we bought a Techno before she was born. I wish I waited, since it was cold we never used it before March and in late January/eary February the previous years models go on clearance. You may just be able to get the 2006 Techno if you wait! I saw mine on-line at Albee Baby for $199, originally $299 plus free shipping <yikes>!

I ended up using a stroller frame until March and loved it! I had a Combi Flash EX with a Britax Companion seat. You don't have to wake baby up or un-bundle them to take them anywhere!

Edit: right now on Albee Baby they have the 2005 Techno for $179.99 in Marina plus free ground shipping, the red or grey ones are $199.99. The 2005 drives the same as the 2006, major difference is the canopy does not unzip and fold out more.

hudsonam
05-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Was the fold of the P3 too big to fit somewhere, or did you just think it was too bulky in general? If you love it otherwise, I'd strongly suggest considering it. We have one and it's great. Huge canopy and very comfy for DS. He loves having the snack tray to hold and to have his sippy cup in front of him. And the fold is super easy once you get the hang of it. We're just now buying a Mac Quest, but I don't think it'll replace our P3 for long outings. And Albee Baby (www.specialtybaby.com) has great deals on them right now. HTH a little! Good luck! :)

Joolsplus2
05-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Yeah, just get a snugrider or kolcraft or snap n go to use for the first few months...maybe you can even find one used for cheap (though they run $30-$50 on sale new on line)...it's just SO light and easy to handle and snap the seat onto, and you'll have a much broader selection of strollers to choose from once you get rid of the 'must take an infant seat' restriction. 2006 Technos should be on clearance for $160ish by the time you need one, or the Quest is little smaller but doesn't recline flat so can only be used from 3 months, but is still awesome.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Queensgirl
05-30-2006, 11:05 AM
If you're not using the stroller from birth, then the Twist or Quest are good options. Only con is small canopy, small basket, and suitable from 3 months and up. Neither hold an infant carseat, so maybe an alternative is too use a carseat carrier until then (especially if baby is born during winter) as others suggested (the Snugrider feels nice if using their carseat and affordable).
Both the Twist & Quest are comparable in size, with the Twist adding the nice extras & the Quest having better steering.
Also, if you already have a BOB as your main stroller then a larger umbrella (P3, Techno, Mosaic, or Zooper Hula) may seem redundant. BTW, have you tried the Mosaic? I thought it felt bulkier & more cumbersome than the others.
Good Luck!

mimieliza
05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
That's what I thought about the P3 - as much as I love it, I love the BOB more (and I really needed the all-terrain). I think if I got the P3, I'd find myself wanting a lightweight umbrella down thr road, and I can't justify spending that much on strollers.

We do need a stroller that fits in our cartop carrier as well, and the P3 was very tight.

I tried the Mosaic a little while ago, but wasn't really paying attention, so I can't really remember what it was like folded.

mimieliza
05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
I like the idea of waiting and trying to get a 2006 Techno on sale. I really want the 2006 because of the canopy coverage.

We can borrow a stroller frame from a friend (the Graco Snugrider) so we won't even have to pay anything now for the "wait and see" option.

mimieliza
05-30-2006, 03:27 PM
The fold was really too big. I was eyeing the deals at Albee Baby, but after seeing it in person, I don't think it's quite what we need. We need to carry it in a cartop carrier when we travel, and the P3, while it fits, takes up all the room in the carrier. I think I'd be looking for a lighter option in a few months if we went with the P3.

mimieliza
05-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, this sounds like the way to go. We can borrow a carseat frame, as well, so it doesn't even cost us anything extra to wait and see.

hudsonam
05-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Yea, I didn't use anything other than my Snap N Go for the first several months. DS didn't like to be reclined in the P3. We used that for the first time when he was about 4 or 5 months old. I was shocked at what a great stroller the Snap N Go really is. It rides so smooth and the big basket is great. :)