PDA

View Full Version : Bugaboo Frog and newbie stroller question

suburbanmommy
07-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Anyone know whether the Frog is being or has been discontinued? I heard some buzz about this and wanted to know before buying one.

Additionally, any advice on the following: I have a very large newborn who I would like to place in a stroller without using the infant carrier (because the combined wait of my infant and car seat is very heavy). I had a Zippy (it was destroyed on an airplane and Inglesina was very unhelpful in getting it repaired) and I currently own an Aria for my three year old DD. I was thinking a Bugaboo (frog or gecko, camelion seems too heavy) because of the bassinet feature, but find the cost rather high. I am hoping to avoid it, but will go with it, if necessary. I had an idea to purchase another Zippy and the bassinet attachment for it, but learned that the price is just about the same as a Frog. So in the end, I am looking for a new stroller I can use for a newborn that is just not grossly heavy. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

snooc
07-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, when we went to the store, the woman told us the Frog was coming out of retirement; that it was never "discontinued" but rather "retired". What the real difference is, I'm not sure. This was almost two months ago, and she said that they would probably start taking Frog order in a month.

We bought our Frog online without a problem. I'm not a stroller expert, but I don't think the weight of the Frog is really that high, especially since it's in 2 pieces. Chameleon is similar. You may want to take a look a the Bumbleride Queen B which has a Bassinet feature. I know there are others that recline all the way for infant use, but not really sure. That info. left my brain as soon as we made our decision on the Frog.

cpapay
07-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Here is a link to a comparison chart for Bugaboo products. The Gecko and Frog are two pounds different in weight.

http://tinyurl.com/rlp6q

We purchased our Cameleon from stroll and go (www.strollandgo.com). They were very helpful in answering our stroller questions.

carrie

suburbanmommy
07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Thank you for your response. Do you regularly put the frog in a car? I was aware that it was in two pieces. Does that make it lighter than the 18 pounds that the company claims it weighs?

Thanks.

snooc
07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure if the chassis is what is 18lbs and the seat/bassinet are in addition to that. I will tell you that the chassis alone is very light for me, so I doubt that alone weighs 18lbs. The bassinet and child seat are assembled using the same seat, you just change the fabric (which wouldn't weigh much), so it could be that both pieces together are 18 lbs.

Yes, we will be putting the Frog in the car regularly. We had a very hard time finding a durable, well-made stroller that would fit in my small trunk. Because of the two pieces, it fits great. And it's really only one extra step to snap it into place - not very involved at all. No different than using an infant seat and Snap N Go, really.