PDA

View Full Version : Airport metal detectors and strollers/carseats

citymama
07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
We'll be doing our first airplane trip with DD in a couple of weeks (gulp). She'll be 4 months by then. Since it's a 6 hour flight, we are going to take her carseat with us so she can sleep in it on the plane (we hope). We need some way to get the Snugride carseat around at the airport. After hearing horror stories of stroller damage by airlines, I don't want to carry my Zippy but will probably borrow or buy a Snap N Go or Snugrider stroller frame.

Question is: will these fit through the metal detector at security? A friend of mine had to take apart her entire stroller at security b/c it wouldn't fit through the metal detector (yes, it was a behemoth Bugaboo). I just wanted to check and see if anyone had experience flying with an SNG and could help with that question.

Also, I'm assuming the carseat will fit through the metal detector as well, but can't quite picture how!

Thanks for your help! :-)

nfowife
07-03-2006, 10:25 PM
I've flown a few times with my SNG-type stroller (I have the combi version and a combi infant seat). Anyhow, it's not too hard but you do have to seperate the seat from the frame so it can go through the scanner. I just place DD in her seat on the floor, fold up the frame and stick it on the belt, with all my other stuff and shoes, etc. I lift up the seat with DD in it, onto the counter (not on the moving belt though!), push the handle back, remove DD and hold her, and flip the carrier over because it goes through easier that way. The TSA people will help you get things through the belt. Then I just carry DD through the detector, wait for the seat on the other side and immediately set her in there, flip open the stroller again and click in the seat on top of the stroller, get the rest of my stuff, and go on my way (or find a seat closeby to get everything resettled). It's not very difficult at all, and I've done it myself a few times also.

leenbean33
07-03-2006, 10:27 PM
We recently took our 6 month old on a plane and brought his snugride. Be sure you put the carry handle in the down position; the security person couldn't get it down and didn't bother to ask us. He crammed it thru the detector, bending the handle pretty badly. As far as a stroller frame, we have a strolee streak from Walmart. It's very compact and fit thru the scanner.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4931418

HTH
Leen

carriepepper
07-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I have flown many times with my Graco infant seat and metro lite stroller neither of which is to compact. Other than folding them and putting down the handle they fit through just fine. I have also more recently flown with my mamoth size Britax convertable seat which fit fine too. The above person did a good job describing the necessary steps if you happen to be travelling by yourself. Another piece of advice give yourself extra time and don't feel like you have to rush through security. :) Just take your time and don't worry if the people behind you seem rushed.