PDA

View Full Version : I keep breaking floor models... common problem with Peg and Zooper?

pookee
07-04-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm not that strong - I work on the computer all day, for pete's sake. But, I just broke another stroller at the store.

The first one I broke was a Zooper Zydeco. I loved this stroller and was seriously considering buying one. I was reclining the seat and *snap*... the recliner didn't work anymore. I asked the salesperson about it and she said that the spring on the demo model keeps coming out. This didn't sit well with me, so I asked her if she could take it apart so we could see (if I'm going to put down that kind of money, I want to see good quality). It wasn't the spring at all - there are two wires going from the bottom to a bar at the top of the seatback, and these two wires came out of their crimp-hold-things. Basically, it's not an easy fix... definitely have to send it back to manufacturer. Alrighty now.... Zooper was taken off my list.

Today I was playing with the Peg P3 Pliko. And, again, broke the recliner! It went back fine, but when I pushed the seatback upright it refused to sit evenly - it sat like one of the sides didn't have a place to latch into. Great. Now I'm wondering if the P3 should be taken off my list. It comes so highly recommended - is this a common problem with P3 users?

I can't get the Inglesina Zippy - it ends up being way too expensive to ship to Canada.

I haven't checked out the MacLaren's yet... I'll see if I can break on later this week.

Sorry for the long story... I'm just getting a little frustrated.

hobokenmom
07-04-2006, 06:14 AM
First off, remember that hundreds of people have tried those floor models prior to you. So maybe you're just "the straw that brought the camel's back" per se. Who knows? Floor model strollers are totally mandhandled by people trying to fold them, recline them, etc.

Generally, what you (and my inlaws and my parents) need to remember is that you don't need to push/pull hard to get anything to go anywhere with strollers. Then it potentially will break something.

I have a P3, and it's been used just about every single day for close to 18 months. It's held up very well. I had one issue with the left back wheels looking wobbly when it was 11 months old, and a quick call to Perego landed me a new set of wheels since it was still under warranty.

The recline mechanism can be tricky, but basically you just pull out the handle on the back and raise/lower the seat. You just need to make sure it's even on both sides.

Many times I think the mechanisms on strollers are fairly delicate because they're made of plastic because the manufacturers are trying to keep the weight of the stroller down.

Good luck.

my3fallkiddos
07-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I've never heard of a P3 recline mechanism breaking, but that doesn't mean it hasn't.

That being said, before you tried that P3 or Zooper, remember that hundreds of people have opened, closed, pushed, dropped, and looked over those strollers. I would never buy a floor model after seeing how people treat them (not on purpose generally).

pookee
07-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Great advice... thanks so much!

I'll make a decision one of these days

pampamz
07-05-2006, 07:20 AM
I've not had any problems with the recline on my Zooper. It is painless, one handed and smooth to recline.
HTH.

chicagojo
07-05-2006, 09:12 PM
I have a Zydeco and have actually always been impressed with the sturdiness of the reclining mechanism relative to other moderate-to-high-end strollers. Admittedly, mine is a 2004 and for all I know they changed the reclining mechanism to shave 6 lbs off the weight for the 2006 models. But my guess would be that the one you "broke" was somehow used and/or abused in ways other than normal wear & tear long before you got to it. I wouldn't let a problem with a floor model deter you from buying a stroller you really like - remember, the floor models are opened & closed, reclined, etc. more in a week than you'd do in a year of routine use - and many times by people who have no idea how they're supposed to work and are randomly trying to figure them out.