PDA

View Full Version : Is the Volo easy to fold? Worth the $110 price tag? How about the Silver Cross Micro?

psych
07-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone! My son is 19 months and he really dislikes to be restrained (yes, putting him in a stroller, high chair, car seat, etc., is quite a battle). So, most of the time, I just let him run around and push the stroller. We have an Inglesina Zippy that has been wonderful for us and was our only stroller for his first 14 months. At 16 pounds, it's fairly lightweight and it folds *really* easy in one motion. We also have a BOB jogger for runs around the neighborhood.

Anyways, now that he really dislikes being restrained I've been thinking that we don't need the Zippy anymore. It just seems that it's a lot of stroller for the amount of time that he's been spending in it (and we've certainly gotten our money's worth out of it). But, I still need a stroller for when it is absolutely necessary to keep him restrained and it would be nice to get something that is very lightweight (less than 10 pounds). Expecially for next week because I'm taking a flight with him (and it will just be the 2 of us). So, I was thinking about the Volo because my son is very tall for his age (97th percentile). But I went to BRU to see it in person and was totally underwhelemed with the closing mechanism. The sales person and I, we tried to push the lever with our feet and we could not get it to bend. And the rest of the mechanism seemed equally flimsy. So, I'm thinking, is your Volo hard to close? Could it be that the ones on display have gotten beaten down by their use? Or is it that my expectations were too high after the Zippy's closing mechanism? I remember trying out the Tehcno, the P3 and the Zippy in person about 2 years ago and being totally blown away by the Zippy. But maybe the Volo's is fairly easy and I just need to get used to it?

Also, I found an old version of the Silver Cross Micro online that is $35 less than the Volo. Would that be a comparable choice or is the Volo better? (I have not seen the Micro in person).

Any input is greatly appreciated.

my3fallkiddos
07-04-2006, 04:27 PM
The Volo is a wonderful stroller! You can buy it new on Ebay for much less than the $110.00 it is now.

I bought one when I was 7 months preggo and my 2 year old was about 19 months old. My P3 had become are chore to fold and throw into the back of my minivan being so preggo, so a trip to BRU and I bought a magenta colored Volo and love it! I just can't part with it even though I now have a Mac Quest for my 9 month old. The Volo stays in DH's trunk for when he goes out with our 2 year old alone.

I did pay $100.00 for my Volo but it's paid for itself over and over again.

lilhilly
07-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I think the older version of the SC Micro had some major issues with the wheels, so I would stay away from that. Doesn't BRU have the Volo for $20 off right now? I'd check online -- even with shipping, I bet you can get it for less than $110.

hipmaman
07-04-2006, 07:32 PM
About the folding... Did you and the sale person push the plastic 'pedal' in the middle of the stroller up, before push the level on the side down? You need to unlock a Mac stroller that way - kick up in the middle, push down by the side, push handle(s) forward to collapse and lock.

The Mac is quite easy to fold (one hand and one foot) and has great steering.

I'm not sure if you would want some recline for your baby, because if you do, get something higher up than the Volo for the recline seat. If you want the extended legrest, then the Quest is a good middle of the road stroller with both extended legrest and recline seat.

If none of that is necessary, the Volo is wonderful light-weight stroller. I have 2 for my 2 older kids and can't bother with other light-weight strollers.

chicagojo
07-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I just bought a Volo and I LOVE it. It is incredibly easy to fold - easier than any of the other strollers I own. You can fold it with one hand and one foot, which is great for me since I'm often trying to fold it while carrying a sleeping DS in a front carrier, which makes bending over and using 2 hands to fold the stroller a real pain.

I got my Volo at BRU for $79.99. It was $99.99 and then I used a $20 off coupon that came in their recent mailing. If you don't care about having a canopy, you can easily find NIB 2004 models online for under $70.

I think that once someone demonstrates the proper way to fold it for you, you'll be very happy with it. And it will make your Zippy suddenly seem like it weighs a ton (I previously had a 14 lb Combi Ultra Savvy and the Volo is like a feather in comparsion!)

psych
07-05-2006, 12:17 PM
>About the folding... Did you and the sale person push the
>plastic 'pedal' in the middle of the stroller up, before push
>the level on the side down? You need to unlock a Mac stroller
>that way - kick up in the middle, push down by the side, push
>handle(s) forward to collapse and lock.

No, we did not push the middle thingy up, just the side lever. Maybe that's why we could not get it to fold easily, LOL!

OK, you guys have convinced me! I will order the Volo (BTW, my husband just rolled his eyes when I said I wanted a new stroller!). I have to order it online because the BRUs around here only have pink (not suitable for a boy) and black, and I wanted something snazzier. thanks again!

strollerqueen
07-06-2006, 03:36 AM
I think the Micro is a good substitute. Ask the retailer what you can do if it breaks, though, since SC is not in the US currently.