PDA

View Full Version : YIKES!! Too many choices..HELP!

veggigal
07-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Ok, so this is my third baby (the other two are 4 and 5) and baby #3 is due in October. I have a Combi stroller that I HATE! I used it for both kids and it was too short, I kicked the wheels, the sunshade doesn't function, difficult to maneuver, etc. At the time, it was ranked really good and so I bought it. The one thing I LOVED was that I could use my Snugride carseat in it. I also have a single and double jogging stroller. The single is a heavy cheapie from Babies R Us. The double is an InStep that is lightweight and I love.

........OK, so I am in desperate need of a NEW basic stroller. I want only ONE stroller to take me from newborn to toddler. It has to be fairly small and compact, be able to accept my snugride carseat, lightweight, easy to maneuver and fold, washable fabric, a nice big sunshade, a front bumper bar and snack tray would be nice (I never had this before), fully recline, blah blah blah. HA! I will mostly be using it to pick up other kids at school, pre-school, mall crawling, zoo, etc. So, I will be using it almost on a daily basis. Lots of quick in and out of the car trips. I drive a fairly small car and would like it to take up minimal room and be able to lift it in and out very easily as well as open and close it super easily. BUT I also live in the country and would like something that could go for leisurely walks on an oil and chipped road (for you suburbanites, that is a gravel road but not LOOSE gravel) There are some bumps bet fairly smooth.

Have I requested the impossible? I am willing to pay!!! I learned my leason with that stupid COmbi stroller. You know, with the first one, you just don't know what to look for. I have browsed many listing here but am thoroughly confused. I did go to Babies R Us and checked out a bunch. The hands down winner out of everything THEY had, which wasn't much, was the Peg Perego Pliko P3. It was obviousely so much nicer than the others. The problem too is that I don't know where to go in my area to actually test drive any of the upper end strollers, so I would be willing to buy based on your recommendations.

Oh, and one more thing, no obnoxious fabric. Some of those Gracos, Babytrends, etc. are SO ugly! Something basic would be nice , huh?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I love these types of forums and really rely on the help of other women. I appreciate any and all input!

momathome
07-04-2006, 09:53 AM
I was going to recomend the P3 before I even saw that you already test-drove it. It would definitely meet all of your requirements and is hands-down my all-time favorite stroller - and I have owned over 20 strollers, lol! :)

mariza
07-04-2006, 10:07 AM
I agree, the P3 is awesome! Is there something you didn't like about it?

veggigal
07-04-2006, 10:14 AM
No, I LOVED it! BUT, I was under the impression that it was not car seat compatible. Just from the browsing I've done, it says that you can only use THEIR car seat with it??? This is a big deal for me. ALso, I have picked up bits and pieces about a few others but there is a lot of lingo and nicknames you all use that are not clear to me. The other one that interests me, but I have no idea where to find it, is the Zippy??? This one looks like it has everything!

MNmomtobe
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
I can get my Graco Snugride to "click" into the P3 just under the child snack tray.

my3fallkiddos
07-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Definitely a Peg Perego P3! I have one and love love love it! It would match all of your needs and wants :) Buy it online for cuter colors than what BRU has ;)

lwcain
07-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi, Veggigal!

Are you vegan? Lacto-Ovo? Or do you like to lounge on the sofa and watch lots of tv (just kidding)?

I agree with the PPs. I went to BRU yesterday to test drive a P3 with a Graco Safe Seat (higher weight and height limits than Snug Ride), and the fit was just fine. I bought the GSS at BRU in "Roxy" (black, silver, red), and I went online today and ordered a 2005 P3 in "Black Sable" (black, silver, red). The only difference between the 2005 and 2006 P3s is the color selection. P3s are highly recommended on these boards. I also wanted one good stroller, and neutral fabric. I saved some money by mixing and matching the P3 with the GSS, and by ordering last year's model online.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

lmwbasye
07-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Definitely the P3. It is compatible with the Snugride. It comes with a strap that you can strap over the carseat, but the older version (2004) didn't and I still used my Snugride in it and it fit great.

I would highly recommend this stroller as it fits pretty much every single one of your requirements. We have been using ours for nearly 21 months now and LOVE it! You cannot go wrong with a P3.

veggigal
07-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone. So, I've been looking more at the posts and what about the Zippy??? Seems pretty much like the P3 with a few extras. PLUS, from what I gather, the fold up is very easy. One thing I had a hard time with at Babies R Us with the P3 was the folding of it...I never could get it right. I watched the sales girl do it time after time, but I just couldn't quite get it. ANy comments on this???

Also, you Zippy lovers, chime in here PLEASE!!!

By the way, Veggigal is actually something I came up with because I'm a big vegetable gardener...Have also been vegetarian, vegan, etc. at one time or another during different stages of life. I'll eat anything now!!! I am pregnant, after all. HA!!

Tondi G
07-05-2006, 02:36 PM
YUP like all the others said the P3 sounds like it fits the bill for you! We have one... upgraded from a regular pliko we had with our first! We love it! Albeebaby has good prices on older colors!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

strollerqueen
07-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Zippy is great, and some people find the fold much easier. I think the fabrics are nicer. The wheels are bigger, and so do better outdoors. It weighs 22 pounds, vs. the 19 pounds of the P3. I have a comparison of both on my website. I do like the P3, also. I have always had one in my collection, for the past 8 years!

mariza
07-06-2006, 05:25 AM
I've test driven a Zippy in the store and found myself kicking the back wheels, but for some reason this does not happen with my P3. I've read that many people have this problem with the Zippy (I'm only 5'6")
I've used my P3 with the snugride as well, it works great (I also sit mine in the P3 without the strap) it is just fine that way for quick trips. FOr longer outings, I just put DD right in the stroller.
As far as the fold, you will get the hang of it, it gets very easy but not quite one-handed like the Zippy. Once you lift the levers that release the locking mechanism, you just pull up on the oval ring and it folds up much like a Zippy. HTH!

lukesmom1
07-06-2006, 11:01 AM
For all of you who have a P3. Don't you find it too heavy? 19 lbs sounds quite heavy to me.

strollerqueen
07-06-2006, 02:01 PM
It is. But most strollers have "gained weight" since I first started buying them 8 years ago. Gone are the days of the 7.7 pound Combi Savvy Z. Their lightest models are now 12 pounds. And the Mac Techno has gone from around 12 pounds to 17-18. I do have a P3 in my car right now, because the rear step is invaluable for when an older child wants to catch a ride. So I put up with the weight.

Tondi G
07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Not heavy to me! I would rather have the convenience and comfort it offers with extra padding and that big sun shade and deal with it weighing a little more..... I am only lifting it up into the back of my Durango. I am probably not one to ask though cause I was used to lifting 40 lb saddles up onto horses backs at 14 years of age! It's lighter than my 14 month old that I carry around all over the place!!!!

~Tondi

Momof3Labs
07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
My 4 month old DS is 16lbs, so lifting 19lbs in and out of the trunk every now and then is no biggie. Mommies tend to develop pretty good biceps, unless they never carry their kids!

carolines mommy
07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
It sounds heavy, but what I've found is it isn't necessarily the weight of the stoller but how it folds down that makes it manageable or not. Book folds like the Gracos, Evenflos, etc are unwieldy and bulky, umbrella folds seem lighter to me as they aren't bulky. I kept kicking the rear wheels of the Inglesina I had, but have never had that problem with my P3. I personally have never had the need to fold a stroller one handed as the kids go in the van first then I tend to the stroller and packages.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea April 05

hobokenmom
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
No.....I don't find it heavy at all, and I have to carry it up about 8 steps to get to my front door. I bring it in/out of the house about 3 times a day, and it's not a problem at all. Of course, I'm not lifting it with my 28 pound 2 year old in it.

As I was walking back from bringing my older daughter to camp this morning, I was thinking about how the P3 is really the perfect stroller (for us). It's not huge, and yet it's very full service. I still use it every day with my almost 2 year old, and I don't see us bring out our Volo instead any time soon.

Good luck.

veggigal
07-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, It looks like I really only have ONE choice, huh? I stopped in Babies R Us yesterday and checked it out again. It really is a nice stroller. It seems sort of "plastic eee" and wobbly, but I suppose that is more to do with the aluminum frame and no baby inside of it. I will have to bring my 30 lb. 4 year old with me to test it out! She's tiny and will give me a better idea of handling.

I just can't believe there are no Inglesina dealers anywhere in Missouri. I even checked out Kansas City, which is 4 hours away....I live in the St. Louis area. I can't find anyone who even sells the Zippy!!! I would hate to buy it sight unseen.
Thanks so much everyone for all the info!

tigeratty
07-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Veggi gal:

I am in Missouri too (Columbia) and I agree the selection around here s*cks. Even in Chesterfield, where I grew up and grandma still lives, most of what you see are Gracos. I can't believe it. I'm waiting for a boutique baby store to go in the Valley, LOL.

We have a Combi Savy Soho (on recommendation from the book), and we hate it too. It did survive a trip to Manhattan, and for traveling it's great. But we just hated it more and more every day. I recently upgraded to a P3.

2005 and 06 P3s will take the snug ride with a strap, just like a snap and go (which I used with my snugride). Like you, I tried the fold at BRU and didn't like it at first, however, I got used to it quickly. It is definitely heavier that the combi, but I can get it in and out of the trunk of my old Honda (not the biggest trunk opening) and still have room for a row of groceries.

From what I read, the one hand fold on the Zippy is great for public transportation, but you really don't need it for the burbs (ie in and out of the car). I have seen one IRL and the wheels were bigger. Also, I'm not sure the weight (that your child can be) is as high as a P3, so check that. Finally, for me, the toddler foot board makes a huge difference as I have an almost two year old and we are contemplating #2. That may not matter for you.

Oh, and the P3 can sit straight up and has a removable snack tray. Both things I wanted this time.

clc053103
07-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Chiming in to say I LOVE my Zippy! Definitely only consider a 2005 1/2 or 2006 due to major improvements. I ordered sight unseen based on reports from this site, after test driving the P3- I also found the P3 IRL to feel "rickety" (though many many users can confirm it is still very sturdy) so I went with the Zippy. I am also 5'8" and don't kick the wheels.

You could see about an e-tailer who is willing to do return shipping for you? I aired my concerns about wheelkicking to Marilyn at Arunningstroller.com and she was willing to make me feel very comfortable with my purchase.

Best of luck with your stroller shopping, and with your new baby!

Molly C
07-10-2006, 07:37 AM
I bought a Zippy a few weeks ago from A Running Stroller, and I love it! I am 5'6" and I do kick the wheels a little, but I can easily adjust my stride to compensate for it, so to me it is no big deal. I can steer it easily one handed, and I love the one-handed fold and release. It does not have a huge basket, but I could not really use the basket very well in my Graco snap-n-go, either, so that was not a big deal to me. I actually kicked the wheels more with the Graco snap-n-go than I do with the Zippy.

I love the canopy and the full recline, and my DD seems really comfortable with it. I really wanted a stroller with a snack tray, as one of my friends has a Maclaren she loves, but she has to stop every so often to dole out her DD's food to her. My DD is a bit too young for finger foods just yet (6.5 months) so we just have the napper bar in right now, but in a few months I will switch it out to the snack tray. I like having just the napper bar right now because I can hook some of DD's toys over the napper bar for her so they don't get lost.

My only complaint about this stroller is that I like it so much I am afraid to fly with it and have it get ruined on the airplane. So now I am forced to look for a cheaper stroller for our upcoming vacation that will rival the Zippy for a fraction of the price.

For what it's worth, I test drove this stroller at a local store, and I was torn on paper between it and the P3. The store stopped carrying the Peg Perego line because they said they had too many complaints about them breaking. I never actually saw the P3 because I liked the Zippy too much. I ordered it from A Running Stroller because my local store doesn't carry them in stock, and it was going to take several weeks to get here. I ordered mine from ARS on a Tuesday and it was set for delivery on Friday - great, fast service.