PDA

View Full Version : MBUD vs. Jane Powertwin

cschwed
07-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Like so many before me, I'm researching doubles now and just stuck. DD will be 18 mo. when #2 makes an appearance. At this point I've narrowed it down to the MBUD and Jane Powertwin, but I'm stuck there. Can you all chime in with pros/cons? I know not too many people in the US have tried the Powertwin, but if anyone here has I'd love to hear more about it and how it compares to the MBUD in terms of push, steering - the works. Also, how do the two compare in terms of ease of folding and folded size? What's the weight of the Jane? Do kids grow out of it?

Thanks!

Chaya

strollerqueen
07-06-2006, 03:40 AM
Well...the narrowness of the Jane' is wonderful, and it pushes like a dream. Pretty easy to get in and out of a car trunk. Maybe 3-4 pounds lighter than the MBUD, and much smaller folded. But the seats are also much smaller than the MBUD. I guess it depends on how long your kids want to ride. I would say a 4 year old is about the max that could fit in the Jane'. But an 8 year old can still ride in the MBUD.

cschwed
07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Strollerqueen - I feel honored to have received a reply from HRH in person! I can't see using a stroller regularly for a kid older than 3 or 4 anyway, and my DD is small for her age. Now I'm seriously leaning towards the Jane. Just one more question - does the Jane feel "wobbly" compared to the MBUD? That tends to annoy me in strollers.

Thanks,

Chaya

strollerqueen
07-06-2006, 03:26 PM
You are welcome! Happy to be of assistance! :)

I don't find the Jane' wobbly at all. Very sturdy, very stable. I think it is a good choice for you. If you still REALLY need a stroller after they outgrow it, you could always sell it at that point, and get a MBUD or BJCSD. I'm sure it will keep a high resale value.

GroversMom
07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know when the Powertwin will be available in the US? Should I just have my mother in law send one back with my step-daughter from England in a couple weeks. I'm due shortly and I've narrowed my choices to the Powertwin or the MBUD, but I would prefer the tandem feature.

Thanks

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
07-07-2006, 03:09 PM
>Does anyone know when the Powertwin will be available in the
>US? Should I just have my mother in law send one back with my
>step-daughter from England in a couple weeks. I'm due shortly
>and I've narrowed my choices to the Powertwin or the MBUD, but
>I would prefer the tandem feature.
>
>Thanks

They are already available. I pre-ordered one from Let's GO strolling and my Powertwin should be arriving at my doorstep shortly. I received an email a few weeks ago that they were in customs in late June.

We had to confirm our pre-orders before they are shipped, so Let's go strolling may have some available. Give them a call!

saschalicks
07-07-2006, 04:43 PM
OK I own the Powertwin and CANNOT RAVE enough about it. DH & I love it (we've had it for 7 months now). It does have a small storage basket. However, I will say that it so minor to the other wonderful things this stroller has to offer. My DS #1 is 2 and loves going in the front seat. He never complains. The canopy pulls all the way forward to the front bar in front and all the way forward to the front seat in back, it's great sun coverage or privacy. I do wish the front bar on the front seat had a release to make it easier to get DC in and out, but I really don't notice it that much. I should add that the one thing that bothered me is that DS#1 used to kick (not intentionally) the front knob that had the wheel go from swivel to stationary while we were strollin'. However, something happened to the knob and we had to jimmy a paperclip to keep it into swivel. Since then we've had no problems. If Jane wanted to improve their wonderful stroller I would say a better foot platform for the front rider. All of that said I really wouldn't give up my Jane for the world. We were about to buy the BJCSD, when we got this and I don't regret it for one moment. If you have any particular questions please let me know.

BTW, I know Let's Go Strolling is selling them and they are wonderful to work with.

Hi! Strollerqueen I hope you are doing well!

GroversMom
07-07-2006, 09:08 PM
thanks. It must just be the local distributor on the jane website doesn't have them yet.

strollerqueen
07-08-2006, 01:25 AM
Hi Candice!

Glad you are still loving it! :) Hope you guys are doing great, too!

heatherlynn
07-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Candice,

Do you happen to know how much longer it is than the e3? Can you open doors and swivel it into a store one-handed? That is something I can do w/ my e3 and one reason I wouldn't trade the e3 for the Jane if the Jane is too long to be able to do that. Thanks!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

Ohio_Mom
07-08-2006, 09:54 AM
According to retailer sites, the E3 is 39.5 inches long. The Jane is 43 inches. That means the difference in length is 3.5 inches, and I'm not sure how important that difference in length is in a tandem stroller. I know in a SBS, 3.5 inches is significant, but in a tandem I would think it may not be that big a deal.

saschalicks
07-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm sorry but I don't own an e3 and I don't know anything about their comparison. I know it is shorter then DuoGlider b/c my SIL has one. As far as one handed unfold I've never really tried. I think you could, but it would probably be after much practice. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Also, I'm not sure if you have the SBS e3 or the e3 with extra seat, but I'm sure that this being a tandom may be the reason it is longer then an e3 as far as the one with extra seat.

boymomCA
07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi,

I have a few questions too.. :How easy (or difficult) is it to fold the Powertwin and to load it into the car? Also, I always wonder how the kid in the backseat feels in a tandem, is s/he able to see anything other than the back on the front seat? Do they mind seating in the back?

Thanks!

cschwed
07-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the great review! Just one question - I just heard (second hand) that the Powertwin doesn't handle curbs well. I can't imagine that's going to be a dealbreaker for me, since this stroller sounds so incredible otherwise (and honestly, it seems like less of a deal even than the small basket) but just wondering if you've experienced that.

Thanks,

Chaya

saschalicks
07-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Well, I think it's pretty easy to fold. You have to just make sure the sun canopies are in the right place. It depends on the size of the truck as to how easy or hard it is to get in. We have a Prius and it fits exactly in our trunk. Nothing else but small bags. However, our trunk isn't so big to begin with. I find it hard to get in or out only b/c of our trunk NOT b/c of the stroller. Does this make sense? FYI it's the one canopy that makes it difficult (it get stuck).

As for the backseat we used it as a newborn so he was laying flat. Now he's only 7 mo old so I don't know if he's *upset* about placement.

HTH

saschalicks
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't even know how that could be possible. It handles like a dream. It glides. I guess I don't agree with that assessment, but then again I can't say that I've tested the theory after knowing what you just said. I'll have to check it out.

You are right on your other assessment, the small basket is not a deal breaker. Swivlr hooks carry our shopping wonderfully. Also getting a Carry You Milan and Saddle Bag was great, it was given to us as a gift, and we love them. :)

peanutt2020
07-12-2006, 10:57 AM
I also have the powertwin (US version).... I got mine in early April... DS is 30 months and DD is 3 months.... I love the stroller.... There are a few changes I would make (like mentioned above, the footplate in the first seat and also my DS kicks that little button to switch the wheel lock), but overall it is a great stroller... It fold easily and is reasonably lifted into a Surburban... I also put my graco carseat into the second seat without the canopy (although it's not made for it... it works reasonable well and does not appear to throw off the weight distribution, although, as DD gets bigger it may pose a risk, but for the first 3 months it's been no problem, but it is at my own risk....) I had some steering issues, but then realized DS let the air out of the front tire.... It steers like a dream and is good one-handed and going thru doors is easy...... Also the Skip-hop diaper bags hangs off the handle bars quite well....

Overall, IMO, it's worth the money....

Shana

noahsmommy
07-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Could you tell me where you got the US version of the Powertwin? I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the US! I keep hearing from retailers that it's stuck in customs. My DH and I are expecting DD anyday now, and we are pretty set on the E3, but I really would like to be able to compare the Powertwin to the E3 before settle on one.

Ann

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040519_-6_Noah+is.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car220np___.png[/img][/url]

peanutt2020
07-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I believe the powertwin has arrived.... Check out letsgostrolling.com
Shana

Ohio_Mom
07-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Yep. the Powertwins were shipped out last week to everyone who pre-ordered one. They're now in stock for all retailers.

noahsmommy
07-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm still waiting for it to arrive at Magic Beans in MA.

Ann

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040519_-6_Noah+is.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car220np___.png[/img][/url]