PDA

View Full Version : I need a good stroller recommendation for airplanes and vacations.

Molly C
07-10-2006, 07:53 AM
I bought a Zippy for my now 6.5 month DD a few weeks ago, and I love it. We have a small house with no garage, so I wanted one stroller that would do everything for me and to just live in the car. My Zippy is great and does everything I wanted it to.

Well, my DH and I just booked a week long vacation to Nantucket where we will be doing a ton of walking, and we ended up deciding to fly there rather than drive as we originally thought we might.

I do not want to risk mangling the Zippy on the airplane, so now I am looking for a less expensive stroller for traveling.

I think a Mac Quest or Triumph would be great, as I want a good canopy and recline, and preferably lightweight for travel, but they are pretty expensive just for an airplane stroller. If I could find a great price on a 2005, I would be all over it, but I was hoping to spend less than $100 since we just bought the Zippy so recently. I think even the 05's are probably a little pricey just for an airplane stroller.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for me? If possible, I would also love something that I can jerry-rig a Britax Marathon onto just while we are in the airport so that I can manage stroller, baby, and car seat. I do a lot of flying on my own with the baby to visit my parents, and we just moved DD out of her infant carrier, so airport travel has suddenly become more cumbersome without the snap-n-go. I have read that lots of people strap the MA into a Mac for airport use which is why I am thinking along those lines, but I am up for any suggestions.

Here are my ideal criteria:

1. Good canopy - this stroller will primarily be used outdoors, and I want to keep DD as shaded as possible.
2. Good recline - it doesn't have to have a flat recline, but at least a little recline for when she falls asleep.
3. Umbrella fold - as I said the primary purpose for this is travel, so somthing small is ideal.
4. Hopefully someway to carry a MA, whether in the seat with DD in it just for the hour or so in the airport, or the ability to strap it over the handles. I always gate check the carseat in the hopes of getting an open seat on the plane for DD if the flight isn't overbooked.
5. Comfortable enough for DD for long periods of time since this is a vacation stroller and we will be out and about for long stretches.

Thanks!

mariza
07-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Just curious, what airline are you flying to Nantuck and where are you originating from?

momtojack
07-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I flew with DS (8 months at the time) and a Quest once, and don't plan to do it again soon. I now take my P3 even though I do worry that it will be damaged - but it is so much better for what I need. The Quest is definitely lighter and more compact, but DS is much more comfortable in the P3 (and thus much more cooperative!). We have a BLVD for DS, but we bought a Cosco Scenera for travel - it is really light and hangs easily on the handles of the P3 so DS can still ride (it would hang on the Quest, but the Quest tips with anything on the handles if DS isn't riding). I'm not sure about a Marathon but I would bet you could do the same thing. I know a lot of people love the Quest, but I really don't think it is very comfortable for kids as young as your DD, especially for long periods of time - and the canopy is very skimpy. I'm not sure I have really helped you much, but I just thought I would throw out what has worked for me. Good luck!

Shelly

cynsteele
07-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't have another rec for a stroller - I've gate checked my P3 6 times with not a scratch on it. But I did have a suggestion about the Marathon: http://www.onestepahead.com/product/86211/363756/117.html

Maybe something like that would help getting through the airport? I'm planning to get one for travel now that my DD is in a Marathon.

Cynthia
Sabrina 2-8-06

anuta
07-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I'd say, take the zippy !

you basically want a second stroller with pretty much the same functionality for travel... but cheaper. Well, it will feel cheaper, you will miss you Zippy during you vacation.

For all my travels I took our main stroller - Zooper Z-street (its now called Swing). Nothing happened to it, and my DD was comfortable.

It kind of ironic that we spend all this money on a good stroller because its sturdy and will last, and then are afraid that it will break from overuse/ travel/ airplane... Use your Zippy, get your money's worth, I am sure Zippy can take it.

Molly C
07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I am tempted to take my Zippy, especially since it will always be gate checked, but I would kick myself if anything happened to it.

I'm now considering a Swift. I figure if I like the Zippy so much that I ought to like the Swift since it is the same company. Still trying to decide, and I have to order something today if I want it by next week to travel with.

emilyf
07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Another vote for take the Zippy-I depend on a good stroller for traveling even more than at home-your child will likely be spending more time in it (and sleeping) than at home plus our stroller is a workhorse in the airport with all our stuff too. I'd stay away from anything tippy (mac) for that reason.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

niccig
07-12-2006, 05:35 PM
It's not a stroller, but it does help with getting the carseat through the airpot. Look at the gogo kidz travelmate. Several people have reviewed it in the car seat forum. Once you're out of the car, you attach the carseat to the go go kidz and you can wheel DC around the airport.

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

They're coming out with a new model that can be used for a variety of car seats at the end of the month. I'm waiting for that model as we normally take a cosco scenera when we travel as our Boulevard is just too big.

Nicci

Molly C
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering an Inglesina Swift today. I have not seen one in real life yet, but I am hoping that it will fit the bill. I was able to get a really good deal on a 2006 model, so hopefully I will have it on Tuesday in time to leave for my trip on Wednesday. I am just too paranoid to travel with the Zippy.

I also bought a Scenara today, as I didn't want to lug the Marathon around; I can't believe how much lighter the Scenera is. I definitely would not want to use it as my primary car seat, but I think it will be great to use visiting the grandparents and for vacations.

I will report back when I return from our first trip to give you my opinion on the Swift as a vacation stroller.

MarieBunny
07-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I have the GoGo BabyZ and used it with my Marathon and toddler through the airport. It's awesome especially if travelling alone with toddler. But I personally don't think it's practical if you are taking a stroller too. I got one because I didn't want to bring my stroller with me to the airport. I just borrowed a stroller once I got to my destination. The GoGo BabyZ costs more than some umbrella strollers but for my trip it worked out perfect.

The Marathon will tip most umbrella strollers. I say try the thing to haul it on your back if you want to bring your stroller. And I'm sure your Zippy will be fine! If you really want to get a cheaper stroller, try a Chicco.

HTH!

Joolsplus2
07-14-2006, 08:54 AM
I have a friend who has loved her Swift for years, I don't think you'll be disappointed :)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Leo
07-16-2006, 02:16 PM
In May we took a trip from Massachusetts to the San Fransico area. Our normal stroller is an MBUS and didn't want to risk damage on the plane. We bought an inexpensive($20)Disney stroller at Walmart. It was used extensively for 9 days. Walking around the wharf area in San Fran, Alcatraz, black top trails near the ocean down the coast, even the Muir Woods (redwood forest.) While not the same quality and handling as a higher-end stroller, I have absolutely no complaints about this stroller. We just gate checked it before boarding. Handy for walking around the airport if you have a layover, too.

It did well and we still use it from time to time. I figured that even if it fell apart after the 9 days, no big loss. You couldn't rent one for less money. :)