PDA

View Full Version : I know it's been asked before, but....i need a double!

megs4413
07-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I looked through old threads but didn't find exactly what I was looking for....here's what I need:

This spring we will have a 23 month old and a newborn. I would like to have a double stroller (not a tandem...what's the other kind called?). Here are the requirements for us:

1) i want to be able to snap the baby's car seat on and off so i need to be able to purchase a car seat to go with it.

2) i want a front and back one NOT a side by side

3) I want to be able to fold it up easily, though it doens't have to fold too compactly as we do have an enormous SUV.

4) I would prefer a 5 pt harness

5) it would be nice if the seats had at least 3 recline positions.

6)it would be nice if I could snap the pumpkin seat into either the front OR back position

7) it would be nice if it was more pleasing to the eye than the standard graco models (i hate shlepping around my bright green graco travel system in the mall)

8)it doens't have to be a/t....all i use it for is shopping and going on walks in the neighborhood or at the zoo (both paved places...)

9)i like the basket underneath the seats for holding my purchases...so that would be good too

Any ideas? Oh and I don't want to spend more than $300.....i know...it's pushing it....

TIA!

saschalicks
07-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Meg,
I have a Jane Powertwin. It is a tandem A/T stroller. It is on the pricier side ($550), but I think maybe as you get closer you might be able to get one used on stroller swap. They just released them in the US though. The front seat reclines a little more then half way (I think three positions) and the back seat reclines at near flat (I think 4 or 5 positions). It has five point harness on both seats

I will say at this point there is no adaptation for a US approved car seat. Why am I recommending it then? Well, I have seen in the last year that more and more studies are coming out that leaving your infant in the carseat for extended periods of time OUTSIDE of the car is bad for their back/posture. The new recommendations are to actually take your child out of the car seat when not in the car. With DS#2 we took him out of his Snug Ride and put him in the stroller backseat.

I cannot rave enough about this stroller and DS#1 loves being in front. The basket could be improved upon. Swivlr hooks solved my problem quickly.

I know it doesn't answer all of your questions but it is not a DuoGlider which is what we wanted to stay away from. I was on my way to buying a SBS b/c I couldn't find a tandem I was happy with until we found this. It is a breeze to handle, even one handed, and it's just all around our perfect stroller.

HTH!

ETA: you can see it here: http://www.letsgostrolling.com/catalog.php?item=105&catid=35&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D35

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Combi has a new tandem out that works with the Combi Connection carseat. I can't remember the name of it... I saw it at Buy Buy baby. It's supposed to be better than the Duoglider. I think you can only use the infant seat in the back, but don't hold me to that! The Combi is definitely in your price range.

I am getting the Powertwin (I will have 2 under 2 in less than a month). I have seen pictures of the Jane Powertwin used with the Graco Snugride, albeit unofficially. But as PP said, it's out of your price range.

Another option is a Baby Trend Sit and Stand/Joovy Caboose/whatever the new Fisher Price model is called. They aren't super attractive, but they do work with an infant seat. I think the infant seat goes in the back and the toddler in the front seat. Later when the baby outgrows the infant seat, s/he goes in the front seat and the toddler in the bench in the back. Whether it works for you really depends on what your older kid is like. My DD is way to active for a sit and stand - I just don't trust that by her second birthday she'll be capable of using the bench. The main drawback of the Sit and Stand is that the child in the bench cannot easily nap in the stroller, so parents with a 3 year gap tend to like them more than parents with a smaller age gap.