PDA

View Full Version : Is there something like this out there?

skipspin
07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I would love a stroller with a bassinete that is removeable that's NOT all-terrain. Is there somthing along the lines of the PPVenezia or Graco Coachrider that has a removeable bassinete, but is not larger? It doesn't need to be the most expensive thing out there and it will mostly be used at home and church where we spend a lot of time. I'm open to something used to get a better deal- I just don't want a HUGE pram. It seems I have seen a Chicco or something around...but I can't remember.

Thanks

Momof3Labs
07-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Peg Perego used to make a Navetta that fits in the P3. The Zippy used to (still??) have a bassinet. And someone on StrollerSwap was selling a Chicco 2002 (a great stroller) with a matching bassinet.

Molly C
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes, the Zippy has a carry-cot attachment. I bought my Zippy when my DD turned 6 months, so I had no need for the carry-cot, but I love this stroller. My DD hates to sleep flat on her back anyway, so I doubt she would have liked the carry-cot, but I would consider it for a subsequent child.

Joolsplus2
07-12-2006, 03:31 PM
I know an I'coo pico 4 that might need a home, with a matching carry cot (it's as small as a mac quest but has a HUGE basket and great suspension.... )

Zippy with a cot would be awesome, though, the footboard on the back is da bomb with an older toddler!
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

MamaKath
07-12-2006, 08:56 PM
If you can find a Silver Cross Wayfarer (used, mostly in England, but ocassionally in US) with bassinet it would work well. Also a Kidco Grand Finale (discontinued, but ocassionally found still). Both of those have bassinets that fold flat. The Navetta and Zippy bassinet are great but do not fold at all. So massive in the trunk. There used to be a similar Chicco like that too.

You might also consider a LilleBaby, it is blanket that can be used like a Moses basket. It can be used with any variety of strollers and when the baby outgrows the use of the basket feature it can still be a familiar play space. I know it has depended on the church we have been attending as to how much room is between pews or rows of chairs, but I thought the fact that it can be a familiar play blanket might be helpful, (the blanket area to define the space worked well when mine were littler). :-)
http://mii.babyuniverse.com/product_images/pic/562/l562-65014.jpg

HTH~

skipspin
07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I lost this post in the franticness of getting ready for vacation, but now that I'm back I am so happy at the responses. I saw the Chicco 2002 a few months ago on stroller swap and liked it, but I wouldn't let myself buy anything till I was at least pregnant. I don't think it's still on there.

I'll be checking out the other options, but I got birthday money, so I think I"m going to get an e-3 this week so DD can use it at camp jeep on our vacation.

Joolsplus2
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Oooh, good answer :)

skipspin
07-25-2006, 09:22 AM
It's going cheap and I can pick it up locally. I could even let my friend with a newborn borrow it for now.
I know nothing about this stroller, but it looks comfy. Does it steer well? Is it really old? Anyone have one that they like/dislike? Is this a GREAT deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280009217354&fromMakeTrack=true

Joolsplus2
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
It's certainly a showpiece to cruise the 'hood in. Check out www.strollerqueen.com, I think it's on her main page (something like it???).
Only a great deal if the reserve is low... you kind of have to decide if it would work for you at any price (probably won't want to put it in the car much... really it'd work best in the garage since it's like a third car, lol)

:)

bubbaray
07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Its got more rust than I'd care for on the basket. However, there are instructions on StrollerSwap on how to remove a lot of rust (all won't come off).

If you post on Swap, ask for help/input from Dave or Andrew. They both restore old Emmas and can tell you if this is salvageable.

FWIW, I don't think the cute pillow was stock. I'd be wondering if that is hiding a flaw. Its hard to tell what condition the skins are in with the dark fabric.

Oh, and I think that's a Viking. Not 100% sure. I think they came with or you could get bassinettes. Dave & Andrew will be able to tell you for sure.

Emma's steer like any fixed wheel pram. Kinda an acquired taste.

HTH

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

skipspin
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I'm going to pass. I'm not in love, and I found out a baby store of some type is selling it, so I'm sure it's no deal.

Thanks, I have plenty of time, so I will watch swap.

bubbaray
07-25-2006, 03:18 PM
OK, I just re-read your original post. I think an Emma is not what you want for 2 reasons: (1) you say you want to use it at home and at church. Unless you walk to church, it won't work. Trust me, you do not want to be hauling an Emma around in your car.... and (2) you said you didn't want a big pram. Emma = big pram.

What about calling Peg Perego USA and asking if/when the P3 Naked, which is new in Europe, will be coming to the US? It is a P3 that has removable skins, you can add a Navetta (without resting it in the seat unit), a car seat or a seat unit. Plus, your DD could ride on the toddler step once the baby is sitting up. While no MBUS for steering, the P3 steers buckets better than any fixed wheel pram.

HTH
Melissa

MNmomtobe
07-25-2006, 04:19 PM
I agree with the others about the Peg Perego P3. You could get a Navetta bassinet for this to use for the first few months. The Inglesina Zippy also has a bassinet that can be purchased separately.
I have a Peg Perego Elegante with caravel chassis that I use around the neighborhood. It basically is a swivel wheel frame that you can attach the PP Navetta, PP car seat, or their seat unit so DC can face you or face out. You can find them on ebay from time to time. This set-up would be quite a bit larger than the P3 or Zippy since the chassis has a book-fold, but would still be manageable in most trunks. I think this would be a good option if you are looking for non all-terrain and if you want the reversible seat option as well.
Good Luck! :)

Here is a link to a recent completed ebay auction for a Peg Elegante. Hope this link works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peg-Perego-Elegant-Convertable-Stroller-and-Pram_W0QQitemZ190008117769QQihZ009QQcategoryZ66703 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

strollerqueen
07-26-2006, 05:06 PM
That is a nice choice. If you prefer a more modern look, I really love the Rock Star Baby. It's pretty small for a pram, and you can steer it with two fingers:

www.gtbaby.com

We even took ours to the beach last week, and my DH couldn't stop raving about how light and easy it was to push, even on soft sand. (Yes, he knows by this point that he is required to give a thorough opinion, lol!) Anyway, he said it outperformed the Mountain Buggy! Which is a huge compliment, since the MB has always been his favorite.

skipspin
07-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

I like the Rock star, and have seen it at A Running Stroller, but I guess I have a hard time spending that much when really I only want it for the basinette for a few months. I just got my e-3 today, I have a Zooper Rhumba, and I will probably get a Mac or something lightweigh/umbrella-ish once I am sure DD is done riding and the baby is a few months old. So, I'm not planning on using the stroller long-term. I relaly just want the bassinette feature. I know someone that will be selling there I'coo Pico with a carry-cot and I actually like that better than the Rock Star, but it's pink and we aren't planning on finding out the gender until birth, so it's tempting, but a bit risky.

I guess I need a snap and go type frame with a bassinette that I can use next to my bed and at church ...lol. Anyone have one of those? Wasn't FP going to come out with a bassinette for their infant-toddler (bugaboo knock-off) stroller? I don't like the seat on it, but a basinette might be okay.

I'm going to keep an eye on stroller swap and local ebay auctions and see if anything good comes up. If it hasn't by February, I'll be back begging for help.

Oh and DH saw me looking at the Rock Star and said, "that's ugly!" as he drooled over the BJCS, e-3 and Maclarens, so although I probably *could* talk him into it, it won't be easy. Ever since I got my Zooper he has become a bit of an opinionated stroller snob, always asking "what kind of stroller is that?" and saying things like "man, why do all these people have dumb Graco's?" LOL. I guess what goes around comes around.

dylansnan
07-27-2006, 03:46 AM
IMO- an Emma Viking with bassinette would be perfect for next to your bed and at church. It is really not that big, and folds up nicely (the bassinette folds flat too) It would not take up anymore space in your car than the e3.

I have one, that I am saving for just that purpose- to use in the house as a moveable bed.

Watch SWAP, Ebay, and Craigslist- they come up regularly.

HTH!

Joolsplus2
07-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Aaaack! Say it ain't so! Something better than the MB? (ok, I'm only mock-aaaacking...I really need something to covet, lol).

:)

strollerqueen
07-27-2006, 12:11 PM
OK,well, that was DH's opinion. Me, I haven't made up my mind yet. I think more tests are in order. A few things in MB's favor...it is 4 pounds lighter, folds in one piece, and can carry a much heavier load. I do love that you can face your child in the RSB, and it is not tippy at all. We had some really heavy bags on it, and it remained stable when DS jumped out.

skipspin
07-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Well, I'll watch for an Emma Viking. I have no idea what one looks like, so I guess that's my first search. Are you sure you don't want to rent yours out for 3-4 months? LOL.

ETA: Okay here's one one Craigslist that I found if anyone wants to see one. http://desmoines.craigslist.org/bab/177838438.html

Strollerqueen, any idea what a GOOD DEAL on one of these is? I just don't have any idea. Also, I'm still afraid I'll hate the fixed wheele. DH is a mechanic, so I suppose if it's not considered unethical to change an Emma anything is possible. If he can fix airplanes certainly her can design a stroller- right? I guess I'll have to see what he says.

strollerqueen
07-28-2006, 12:42 AM
It really depends a lot on the condition, just like a used car. Those wheels don't look like they are in great shape, and new ones are very hard to come by. If it was in excellent shape, that would be a good price, especially since you don't have to pay shipping. Fixed wheels on a well-balanced stroller are lovely to push. I don't think you would want to change them out. Many Europeans prefer them, and use them for everything.

bubbaray
07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Do you know anyone with an Emma? I'd hate for you to pay for shipping an Emma via ebay, only to find that its too bulky for you.

FWIW, I had an Emma Coronado, which is a newer style than the Viking. The Coronado has an aluminum frame (no rust issues, lightweight), whereas the Viking frame is steel as far as I know (so it is heavier & rusts).

Yes, the Emma's do fold. Sure, the bassinette technically folds flat, as does the seat unit. However, even with the aluminum frame I had, the Emma was a BEAST to transport in a car (we have an SUV and an Odyssey. My DH, very strong & athletic, HATED that stroller with a passion, said it was a PITA to deal with in the car.

I think if you are using an Emma as a walking stroller they are great. IMO, there are better choices if you will be transporting it by car.

I wouldn't want to be folding & unfolding the bassinette while dealing with a newborn and a toddler. I found it tricky. Then again, I'm all about strollers that are easy to fold/unfold -- not what everyone is looking for.

HTH

Melissa

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

strollerqueen
07-28-2006, 03:06 PM
I agree. I didn't like taking any of my Emmas in the car, except for the Husky. That one folded easily, by pulling up two side levers. It also folded flat and in one piece, even with the toddler seat on.

dylansnan
08-01-2006, 10:40 AM
If you want to see pics of mine feel free to email or PM me.

It may not at all be what you are looking for- just thought I'd suggest it.
I find the fold and weight are not really issues for me. I don't think of the Viking as being a "big" or heavy stroller- I have others that are much more bulky. I am used to dealing with a Kiwi Explorer as my everday stroller and that is fiddley to fold and unfold, or the BBC Elite which is quick to fold and unfold- but takes up much more trunk space than the Viking- but these things don't bother me.

HTH

MamaKath
08-03-2006, 10:06 PM
"I don't think of the Viking as being a "big" or heavy stroller- I have others that are much more bulky. I am used to dealing with a Kiwi Explorer as my everday stroller and that is fiddley to fold and unfold, or the BBC Elite which is quick to fold and unfold- but takes up much more trunk space than the Viking- but these things don't bother me."

I was thinking the same thing. It all depends on what you are used to as to what becomes "fiddly" or "unwieldy" imo. :-)

Too bad they don't make a carrycot for the E3 like the ones for the Explorer. It sounds like that would have worked well for your situation Joy. It is canvas with handles and such, but is not hardsided, so perfect for putting in the trunk and using at church or the like.

dylansnan
08-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Hey Kath!!!!!

I am currently on my 3rd Explorer. I sold my original navy, but have 2 burgundy right now :-) But kept my navy "lifter/bassinette"

Hope all is well.

MamaKath
08-04-2006, 10:19 PM
No way!!! I love the burgundy color, that was my first choice, but I never ended up getting it. Not sure if strong willed ds would even ride in one that he could not be convinced was a spiderman (or other superhero, lol) stroller. ;-) You must be loving them if you now have 2 in that colour!!!! Enjoy! :-) How are the "babies"?

dylansnan
08-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Sent you an email!