PDA

View Full Version : Jane Powertwin vs. P&T e3?

noahsmommy
07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Okay, this is a tangent off the post on the MBUD vs. the Powertwin. My DH and I have narrowed our doubles search to the E3 and the Powertwin. We almost gave up on the Powertwin until I read the recent posts on it, since we're not going to be able to test drive it before purchasing it. I do like the E3, and was settling for the fact that I would have to buy all the accessories to accomodate my toddler and newborn (2nd seat, cot, travel car seat adpt, sun hoods, panier bags, wheels guards). I was also just ready to accept the "flexibility" of the E3, switching from singles to doubles mode.

But I really like how the Powertwin is just a shortened version of tandem stroller. Don't have to buy any extra seats, etc.., I don't have to move anything back and forth. The only concern is that it doesn't accept a Britax Companion. Anyone have both, or one or the other that can give me the pros and cons?
Since they're both around the same price (after the adding accessories on the e3), we're stumped at this point.

Does anyone find the Powertwin heavy to lift in and out of the trunk? Is it easier to fold up than the e3 in a doubles mode?

Ann

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogard20040519_-6_Noah+is.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car220np___.png[/img][/url]

saschalicks
07-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Ann,
Congrats on your new baby coming. We were stumped too. I'm happy to say we made the right decision for us. DH & I LOVE our stroller. This was the Powertwin. We never did like the e3 for various reasons, so please know I don't know the answers compared to the e3, b/c we never test drove it or anything like that.

I won't lie that taking it in and out of the trunk is hard, but my reason is b/c my trunk is on the small side. It is heavy, but I don't know why it doesn't bother me too much. Maybe, that isn't one of my big deals where it could be yours. Does that make sense?

We did not use a carseat at all in the seat b/c we took DS#2 out and just put him in the stroller seat laying down. I have heard that you can put the carseat in the stroller with it in the fully reclined position - unofficially. We didn't do that for various reasons that I won't get into, (none of which I will say has anything to do with lack of having an adapter for the carseat).

My cons are this: 1) the front child can kick the knob out of swivel by hitting the know with his/her foot. We jimmied it so that can't happen. 1a) On the same note DC can kick the front wheel while pushing and it is super annoying. 2) basket is not that great and no mommy cup holder. We got a Carry You Milan, Swivlr hookz, and a Carry You saddle bag and now have more then enough storage as well as a place for our cups.

Pros: 1) Super easy to steer, even one handed 2) Compact fold for a double 3) easy to fold/unfold 4) both kids love being in it and don't complain 5) great sunshades they go all of the way to the front 6) reclines on both seats in case DS#1 does want to sleep (hasn't happened yet, but you never know) 7) adjustable handle (I'm 5'4", DH is 6')

I hope this helps shed some light on the Powertwin. I've had mine since December so I have put it to some good use.

1964pandora
07-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi Candice. Now for the least important question about your Jane: What color did you choose, and do you wish you had chosen a different color, or are you happy with it? Thanks. Susan

Ohio_Mom
07-18-2006, 08:12 PM
I currently have an E3 and have ordered the Jane. It's supposed to be delivered on Thursday, according to Fed Ex tracking. When I have both in hand, the two strollers are going to challenge one another to a wild and crazy dance-off, and the loser gets sold on SWAP or eBay. I fully expect to keep the Powertwin, but you never know. Once my Powertwin arrives and I have a chance to test it out and compare the two, I will post back here and let you know my thoughts.

If you like, I'd also be happy to take pictures of them side by side so that you can see how different or similar they are. That can help when you're trying to compare things like wheel base, length, folded size, etc. I'd be more than happy to do that and then post the photos here. :)

LMK if there is anything specific you'd like me to photograph or compare, and I'll be glad to do it.

1964pandora
07-18-2006, 10:31 PM
OHIOmom-- what color did you buy? Thx. Susan

Ohio_Mom
07-19-2006, 06:36 AM
I got the silver one.

noahsmommy
07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Thank would be fantastic if you could take pics and post! Definetely trying to compare all those details: wheel base, length, folded, basket size, ease of folding and opening, weight, material and any more of your thoughts on the 2 strollers.
I'll look out for your post, as I'm sure many BBB readers will too.

My DH is also beginning to lean towards the Powertwin, but he's wondering how sturdy it is compared to the E3, and how it handles curves, bumps, etc..

Ann

noahsmommy
07-19-2006, 03:36 PM
That would be fantastic if you could take pics and post! Definetely trying to compare all those details: wheel base, length, folded, basket size, ease of folding and opening, weight, material and any more of your thoughts on the 2 strollers.
I'll look out for your post, as I'm sure many BBB readers will too.

My DH is also beginning to lean towards the Powertwin, but he's wondering how sturdy it is compared to the E3, and how it handles curves, bumps, etc..

Thanks!

Ann

noahsmommy
07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Candice,

Thanks for your feedback, it's all good to know. Your list of pros is why DH and I are really leaning towards the Powertwin over the E3.

Getting it in and out of the car trunk is only an issue if the Powertwin is a heavyweight. I guess I won't be able to tell till I actually get one. We've got a Honda CRV and currently a Pacifica, so I don't have to lift it too high up.
On your list of cons: Is your DC tall? Or is it just a short distance between the knob on the swivel? And the same for the front wheel? Noah's quite short, so I've never had to address height issues with strollers.

Ann

dbianca23
07-20-2006, 12:27 AM
ooh, ohio mom, i'll be waiting for your review. i currently have the powertwin and am absolutely convinced that there is no way i can lift this thing in and out of my suv. i'm about to order the e3, but still haven't decided if i'm going to keep the powertwin (i may just use it as a neighborhood stroller). the powertwin is definitely out as a car stroller though. anyone have an opinion on whether i'd like the powertwin or double valco better for the neighborhood? i'm feeling a powertwin vs. valco thread coming ;)

strollerqueen
07-20-2006, 01:41 AM
It's not bad for a double. It actually weighs less than a Mac TT..30 vs. 32 pounds. I am pretty much a wimp when it comes to lifting strollers, and I could do it without much trouble.

strollerqueen
07-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Weight-wise, as I just posted, I weighed the Jane' at 30 pounds. I weighed the E3 at 27--22 for the stroller, 5 for the add-on seat.

strollerqueen
07-20-2006, 01:48 AM
Hi Ann,

I'm sure you'll get an excellent comparison. But just off the top of my head, I would say the Jane' is: sturdier, more durable, easier fold, (since you don't have to remove the add-on seat), better storage, (since the toddler's feet are in the basket on the E3), weighs 3 pounds more, and better fabric. Bear in mind that the Jane' is a true double; whereas the E3 is a single with an add-on seat. So think about which style you need more.

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
07-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I tried the E3 at Buy Buy Baby and I was not impressed. I really wanted to like this stroller b/c of the versatility, but I hated that the baby was so low to the ground in the new born mode. The fabric seemed kind of rough to me. I also didn't like how the toddler seat was just kind of shoved under the seat in toddler-toddler mode. The stroller seemed built more for parental convenience than the comfort of the kids, KWIM. Also, the basket was blocked by the toddler seat.

I also tried a Jane (the British version) and it felt and looked more solid and comfortable. The kid in the back can see, has his or her own seat and no one looks like they're sitting on the floor. The steering is also awesome.

Ultimately, it depends on whether you want a true double or not. I just cannot fathom how it could be comfortable for the kids. My Jane is currently en route (as is my baby - she's due in less than a month).

saschalicks
07-20-2006, 06:03 PM
I have the blue and love it. I didn't get a choice when I bought and would have definitely bought the red no question, but I'm very happy with the blue :)

saschalicks
07-20-2006, 06:05 PM
DS#1 is considered in the 50th percentile. So not too tall. It's just that there isn't much of a foot board in front. Certainly doesn't bother him that's for sure.

Ohio_Mom
07-20-2006, 08:06 PM
All right, here are the pictures I took of the E3 and Powertwin side-by-side (sorry I didn't put the canopies on the Jane for the photos):

First, here they are folded:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/prayerbear69/strollers008.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/prayerbear69/strollers005.jpg
I would say that the folds are actually fairly similar. In the picture, you can see that the front wheel of the Powertwin sticks out further than on the E3, but that's just because I didn't feel like undoing the wheel lock on the Powertwin. You can actually unlock the whole piece with the front footplate and wheel on it and it will sit down flatter. So, the folds really aren't as different as I expected, size-wise, though the Jane is slightly larger.

Next, here they are from the side:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/prayerbear69/strollers012.jpg
The Jane is a couple of inches longer, but as you can see from the photo, the difference isn't that much. The Powertwin has more in front, and the E3 has more in back. It kind of evens out.

And here are pics from the front and back:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/prayerbear69/strollers009.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/prayerbear69/strollers007.jpg
As you can see, the wheel base is similar. I don't notice much difference between the two. The E3 is a little bit taller. The front seat is definitely taller on the E3.

And finally, this pic shows that the Powertwin fits easily in the back of my Odyssey minivan, even with the third row in use, with plenty of room to spare.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/prayerbear69/strollers010.jpg
I even left the front wheel extended and didn't unlock it to make the fold smaller. I just left it as it is in the picture above of it folded, and this is how it fits. I didn't find it difficult to lift the stroller into the van, but I do have strong arms. The E3 fits pretty much the same, except I had to put the extra seat in too. Sorry I don't have a pic of the E3 in the van. I should have taken one of those too. Doh!

If anyone has specific questions comparing the two, let me know. I'll be happy to answer now that I've tried both!

dbianca23
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
thanks so much for the reviews! when lifting them into the trunk, do you notice that much of a difference in weight between them. i can't really lift the powertwin and i thought the e3 would be quite a bit lighter? btw, i love the silver (i got red).

Ohio_Mom
07-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Well, neither is lightweight. The E3 is slightly lighter than the Powertwin, but that's partially because it's usually in two pieces. With the E3, you have to put the stroller in and then put the extra seat in. The Powertwin is all in one piece. If you put the doubles seat on front of the E3 and fold it up altogether, then try to lift it that way, there's really not much difference IMO. Does that make sense? The E3 also doesn't have a locking mechanism when it's folded, so it kind of comes open when you lift it if you're not holding it exactly the right way. That makes it a bit more challenging to lift as well, though once you get the hang of it it's really not bad at all.

georgiegg
07-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I am really really happy with my e3. I bought it right before my infant was born (she is now 4 months) and we have been using it constantly in both singles and doubles modes since that time. It really has become my stroller of choice most of the time except when I am alone with my toddler and then I usually use a SC micro becuase it is so light. But alone with my newborn or with both kids, I almost always use the e3. For very quick trips (down the block to get mail or something), I even use the car seat in it --I didn't buy the adaptor kit, I just stick it in (however, I probably wouldn't do this if we were going anywhere real).

While there are a few things that I don't like about it (I think the straps on the harness could be easier to adjust), all of my major fears have gone. I posted a review a few months ago when I was just getting used to it; at the time, I recommended it. Now I am even happier.

The newborn bed worked out great. Around 2.5 months, my daughter definitely seemed a bit bored back there. I waited it out a few weeks and now she mostly rides in the front with my toddler in the back seat. Yeah, I know that the smaller kid is supposed to be in the back, but it is fine the other way so far. I just don't let my toddler climb in and out of the stroller unless the baby is already there (to prevent tippiness). The toddler prefers the back so far anyway and given the choice will ride back there so I only put him in the front when I have the newborn lying in the "bed."

Lastly, I could be wrong about this, but I think the e3 is something like 18 or 20 pounds in singles mode and the toddler seat is 3 pounds making the whole thing significantly lighter than the twin. Anyway, I haven't tried a twin but the e3 is working out great. My priority was lightweight so I might feel differently if that was not a major consideration.

My kids are currently:
2.5 years and 27 pounds
4 months and 13 pounds

M

GroversMom
07-28-2006, 08:01 PM
I took the Jane Powertwin for a test drive today, it handled well, but it took some getting use to the longer length than driving a single. DS liked it and seemed very happy in the front seat... but I have one question/concern: The canopy was way too low for DS to actually use. He's 17 mos and his head was bumping out the top. I've taken the canopy off his Bugaboo Frog because his head bumps it too. He is tall for 17 mos.

Ohio_Mom
07-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm not using the canopy on the front seat where my toddler rides on my Powertwin. I really don't like the way the canopies attach and it's very close to the top of her head to be comfortable, but aside from that my two year old hates canopies anyway because they obstruct her view. I just put a hat on her when we're outside, and I'm only using the Powertwin indoors anyway (I have a SBS A/T stroller that I use when we're on an outdoor outing). So, I just don't worry about attaching the canopy to her seat.

But you're right. The canopy's definitely a close fit for taller kids up front.

GroversMom
07-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks. We bought the Powertwin today...It handled well on the walk from the store to the car. I can't wait to actually use it