PDA

View Full Version : Safe to jog with a swivel wheel stroller (in the fixed position)?

helaina
07-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I've just started jogging in the mornings so I need to buy a jogging stroller. Is it safe for me to run with one of those stroller with the swivel front wheels. Like this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299795&cp=2255983.2256189.2256202&parentPage=family
Or do I have to get one with a fixed front wheel?

Joolsplus2
07-22-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't see why not. If you are a super serious jogger, then you might want something with even bigger wheels, and that won't have a swivel wheel option. But seriously? If it pops out of non-swivel mode while you are jogging, I think it would be more a warrantee issue than a safety issue, because it really oughta stay locked if they say it will.

Do you have any local bike stores that carry joggers (or running stroller stores, of course) that you could try one out and see if you like it?

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

anamika
07-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi,
This was going to be my question too. If you do find one you like, can you please update and let me know.
I will be buying a stroller for jogging in the next couple of weeks and would love some feedback.

bubbaray
07-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, I guess it depends on your comfort level. I ALWAYS use a safety strap from the stroller to my wrist when running/jogging. And, I don't jog with a stroller that doesn't have a hand brake.

JMHO.
Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

cynsteele
07-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I did quite a bit of research and decided that for running I should have one with a fixed wheel. I'm sorry that I don't remember all the pros/cons right now but I remember that if it is just for casual once in a while running a wheel that is swivel that is fixable is okay, but for serious running you need fixed. I want to train for another marathon if I ever have the time so I needed fixed. Also the wheel size is important.

I got a BOB SUS and I LOVE IT! I started jogging with her a little bit before the 6 month recommendation so I have been a couple of times (and had been walking with it before).

It is a really smooth ride. After only running with it twice, I am pretty much used to the fixed wheel situation.

Cynthia
Sabrina 2-8-06

helaina
07-23-2006, 10:00 AM
"I remember that if it is just for casual once in a while running a wheel that is swivel that is fixable is okay, but for serious running you
need fixed."

Thank you. I'm not a serious runner. So far I'm walking for about two miles and then when I'm close to home I jog for the remaining few blocks just get my heart rate up. I'm trying to increase the amount of time I spend running but I get winded so quickly. I doubt I'll ever be a serious runner. So perhaps a swivel wheel would work for me. We're going to go to Babies R Us today to look at the Baby Trend jogger with the swivel wheel plus some of the joggers with the fixed wheels to see how they feel.