PDA

View Full Version : All-terrain stroller

brownlesa
07-24-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm looking for a stroller for our 10 mo. old DD that works on uneven surfaces. We like to go walking on unpaved paths, fields, gravel. I don't really want to spend a lot (less than $150? Is that possible?) because I think we might be having another baby sooner rather than later and will then need to upgrade to a double. We don't jog or run at all, but our PP Aria is not cutting it in the wilderness.

TIA
Leslie

momathome
07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
The Kolkraft Jeep Liberty would be a good choice - I know they have this at Toys R Us and Babies R Us. It has air-filled tires with a swivel front wheel, snack tray, and a steering wheel for your little one to play with. I think the price range is between $99 and $139 depending on what version you get. HTH!

azmamato3
07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
I have the Instep Safari TT (jogger with swivel wheel) and it is great on anything uneven. I bought it because we lived on a dirt road and have used it all over--even in the snow (which has caused the spokes to rust). I got it at Burlington about 4 years ago and it is still going strong.

I also have a MBUD which is great as a double for inside and out. I use it at the mall and grass and anything. Although expensive, it is worth the money!

strollerqueen
07-25-2006, 02:01 AM
The Walmart Quinny is also a great deal.The tilt wheels will do better on rough stuff than swivel wheels.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=86348&showAll=true

smwisc
07-26-2006, 04:53 AM
I second the Jeep recommendation - we love ours!

tigeratty
07-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Another vote for the Jeep here. We use it on our chip and seal streets (no sidewalk in our neighborhood), on our gravel walking trails, and on the grass at the dog park. Love it. Has great parent tray, cup holder, snack tray and basket, but it is somewhat bulky. It won't fit in the trunk of my Honda Accord, but goes in the back of DH's Forester (with the dog) beautifully. My only complaint is that you can't get the seat to sit completely upright, which my son would prefer. It also doens't recline for newborns. But overall, and esp. for the price it rocks. Well, no, it doesn't rock. It's pretty smooth!

Shari

charmcitymama
07-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Um, the Phil & ted's can be a single and a double!! and it fits in our civic!

clc053103
07-28-2006, 07:01 AM
I also have the Jeep Liberty- I was previously a fan but 1 year later, I am looking to replace it.

It is VERY tippy. Even in fixed wheel mode, I've almost tipped it several times on steeper inclines/declines. It is also very small- my 1 year old is about to outgrow it! It also does not fold well at all- the parent console pops off every time, and it folds HUGE. Not a problem here b/c it was my garage stroller, but the one time I did have to take it somewhere, I was not pleased.

On the positives: love the speakers! Love the toys- DS plays the whole way! Good price. Great big basket too.

If you are going to replace it with a double soon, and your DD isn't huge for her age, you could get a good year of use out of it. Just be conscious of the tippiness factor on inclines and declines!

strollerqueen
07-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Even when mine was stationary, my DS could tip it sideways by leaning over to grab at a dropped toy. After a couple of times of that--him crying and being badly scared--I got rid of it. Another company made a copy of it, with a kickstand. GoGo Baby, I think? It is exactly the same as the Jeep, except for different fabrics. So it helps with the tippiness when it is parked, but not when it is in motion. It is very plastic-y, with a narrow base, hence the stability problem. That is why I would not recommend it for any rough stuff.

bubbaray
07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Adding onto Janet's comments (I agree, BTW, I found the Jeep very tippy), both DH and I kicked the rear axel of the Jeep when we tried it in the store.

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png