PDA

View Full Version : Need stroller help for twins and 3 yr old

mother of 3 girls
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good stroller for my twins and 3 year old? I have a triple jogging stroller and a snap-n-go, but I was wondering if I should get the Combi or Maclaren with a kiddie board attachment. I also love the Valco with the toddler seat, but hate to pay so much for that stroller. Thanks for your input!!

hardysmom
07-27-2006, 03:29 PM
A few questions first...

How old are your twins? Where do you want/need to use this stroller? Are you in a city where you really use the stroller as primary transportation, or suburbs where you mostly drive?

How much does your 3 yr old ride? In other words, is your 3 yr old riding mostly for containment or because she really gets tired? How big is your 3 yr old?

Finally, are you happy with your triple?

My 2 yr old DS simply lost his seat when my twin girls were born. I had a triple for neighborhood walks so I wouldn't have to go at a toddler's pace, but besides that, he was on his own. I attached a board to a MBUD which we used to walk to school and I also had a board on a Peg MicroTwin (like a maclaren) but I found he was really to young to use the board inside when I was stopping and starting a lot. He would run off in, say, check-out lines and it was awful. During that phase (until about 3) I would sling a twin for quickie errands and confine my DS to a seat in our MBUD. At the zoo and such, he would walk and we would take rests as needed.

So anyway, yes, you can do a board on an umbrella. The easiest are older macs which have 3 handles b/c it can be difficult to steer with the wider handles. A Inglesina Twin Swift might work. Boards with toddlers are not so great, but it may be better than nothing.

A Strolli Rider on which the 3 yr old can sit is another option. A lot of people like them. I know my DS would have been very into the idea. Here is a link-

http://www.barebabies.com/hastswstri1.html

OK, so then you have the doubles w/ toddlerseats. Basically, there are 2- the Valco and the ABC Buggy. I didn't go with a Valco when my twins arrived because my DS was a very tall kid and about 35 lbs at the time. The Valco's weight limit is 45 lbs for the TS but I cannot imagine a kid that size riding in the Valco toddlerseat. By 3.5 even smaller kids would seem pretty cramped/lanky for the seat. I was worried that it would be too much of a hassle to load (and unload, load, unload). Also, it can get heavy and awkward when fully loaded... but it may be better than nothing if you really need a stroller.

The ABC Buggy is a better constructed stroller, but also considerably more expensive. The toddlerseat sits on the hood facing the driver which most kids love. Also, the height makes it easier on the back to load the toddlerseat rider. The opportunity for one=on-one time is a big plus. It handles very, very well and has a HUGE basket. I have a single w/ a ts I currently use with my twins. The only real downside (besides the difficulty finding on IRL before investing) is that it is really, really long when folded. No biggie in my Sequoia, but it would have trouble fitting in many trunks. ABCs have excellent re-sale and can occasioanlly be found on SWAP.

Stephanie

DeeEast
07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
We have a nearly 3 year old and 10 month old twins and have a Valco twin runabout with toddler seat. I can't say enough good things about this stroller. Its absolutey fantastic, perfect for our situation.