PDA

View Full Version : Chicco: C1 or Cortina?

Spiral
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
We just got a Chicco Keyfit infant seat, and we want to get either the Chicco C1 or Cortina stroller to go with it. The C1 is more expensive, but the umbrella fold might be more convenient. Also, I wonder if there is a difference in build quality, because the C1 is apparently made in Italy while the Cortina is made in China.

(I think the C1 looks better too, but I need a more rational reason than that to spend the extra $100 on it.)

Any advice on choosing, or experience with either one? Thanks!

lilac0422
07-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Well no personal experience but the C1 comes highly recommended. It gets an endorsement from Strollerqueen!! I like the umbrella fold of the C1 alot better than the book of the Cortina. I think the C1 would be much easier to fold up and carry if necessary. Also, I have heard or read that the quality of the C1 is much higher as you would expect from any Italian stroller. IMO China mass produces and Italy has more finesse. Hopefully someone will be able to give you their experience. We were unable to ever see the C1 IRL when we were looking. The Cortina is okay but if you have it in the budget, I would go with the C1.

The Review Mommy
07-28-2006, 09:13 PM
There was a thread on this not too long ago with a reply from Stroller Queen her self listing the differences. Read it here:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=14&page=&topic_id=76167&prev_page=show_topic#76199

HTH!
Rebekah

hlo
07-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I haven't seen the C1 yet, but I pushed the Cortina at BRU and wasn't thrilled. It felt kinda plasticky & didn't steer super well. I've only read good reviews, however, about the Cortina, which struck me as a little odd.

Tondi G
07-29-2006, 06:15 PM
I'd buy the C1... its worth the extra $! I would buy an italian made stroller over a China made one! If you want a great parent cup holder buy a Valco... we got one for our P3 and it's Perfect!

Good luck

~Tondi
Mommy to mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

jenbug
08-15-2006, 10:02 PM
I thought I wanted the C1, too but I finally saw it in person today and I'm definitely going to get the Cortina to go with my Keyfit seat. I found the Cortina much easier to fold. It folds with one hand and locks into place easily while the C1 takes both hands to fold (and is a 2 step process) and was difficult to lock into the folded position--the salesman had to do it for me. Also, I'm tall--5'9"--and my feet kicked the back of the C1 but not the Cortina, which also works for my 6'3" husband. I wanted the umbrella fold because I don't have a big car but there's not really a huge difference in size when they are folded, maybe 6-8 inches. I also found the Cortina easier to push and steer especially with one hand because of the one piece handlebar vs. the 2 handles on the C1 which I found awkward to use. Personally I thought the Cortina felt more stable than the C1, too, maybe it's because of the extra mechanisms required for the umbrella fold.

I really thought I wanted the C1 based on the posts I read on this site, but I don't think it's for me. I am not usually a bargain shopper so the price isn't the most important factor for me. However, I don't think the C1 is worth the extra $.

Hope this helps!

lmwbasye
08-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Honestly, I'd go with the C1 or a P3. The keyfit will work with the P3 as well. The smaller fold will make a huge difference before you know it and I thought (but totally not sure) that the C1 had a higher seat than the Cortina. I do remember the Cortina's seat rest being pretty short vs. my P3.

HTH!

wolfpackashley
08-16-2006, 06:38 AM
I agree with jenbug that the C1 is not as great in person. I was really close to buying it sight unseen because I didn't think I could find it where I live. But I found it and it wasn't all it is cracked up to be. It did fold up compactly like the P3 but in order to get it locked you have to either lay the stroller down and push on it or yank the little hand strap in the back really hard. My husband had a really hard time with it which is what made our final decision.

We are probably going to go with a P3 because of the small fold as long as the Key Fit seat fits in it without too much trouble.

We liked the Cortina too but when you put the C1/P3 next to it folded up, I don't think there is much comparison. The C1/P3 are both quite a bit more compact.

jenbug
08-16-2006, 07:20 AM
I haven't looked at the P3 yet, I guess I'll check it out.
Thanks!

Spiral
08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
We ended up getting the C1, largely because we stumbled on a spectacular deal at Buy Buy Baby. (In Springfield, VA.) They had the C1 stroller on sale for $200, and we happened to have a 20% off coupon for any single item. So that brought the price down to $160 -- just barely more than the $150 Cortina.

So far we really like it. I agree that the folding mechanism leaves something to be desire. It definitely takes two hands and some effort. That isn't a big deal for us so far, because we live in an urban neighborhood and do most of our traveling on foot.

It feels a little rickety, but it seems like all umbrella-fold strollers do. There are some plasticky bits that could be a little better-finished, but, again, that seems par for the course at this level.

It rides really well, and the adjustable handles are really nice. (Each handle can be independently fixed in any of the 8 compass directions.) Storage options are nice too.