PDA

View Full Version : fixing bent mac canopy?

kcandz
07-30-2006, 02:28 PM
The canopy on our old Mac Quest (2004 or maybe 2003 - it was a gift) has gotten bent out of shape, probably from someone (cough, DH, cough) forgetting to release the clamps before trying to bend it back for folding. Is it salvageable through, say, forceful rebending? I don't want to go through the rigamarole of Maclaren customer service to get a replacement that I will probably have to pay for anyway. We were already looking for a new stroller, probably not another Mac because of tipping, but I would like to keep the Quest for backup if this canopy issue can be resolved, and also for consignment value, if any.

TIA.

britchick
07-30-2006, 05:26 PM
I have heard that if you use a blow drier to heat the area that is out of shape and once it is warm it *should*bend back(my mum also used this method on sunglasses and the like...

kcandz
07-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the tip. I will try it, since I have nothing to lose as it is in such bad shape already, and report back the success (or failure) rate in case it is of interest to others.

MamaKath
08-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Wanted to add to Rachel's thoughts... Use medium heat! Heat it pretty slowly and bend it slowly. Bendiing with too much force will snap it though. GL~

kcandz
08-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Ooh thank you! Good to know. I would have probably gone the "more is better" route and started super hot. Breaking would be a bummer. I probably won't get to try it for a few weeks due to some upcoming long weekends out of town but can post an update when I do.