PDA

View Full Version : Serious jogging stroller Qs?

anamika
07-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi, I'm looking for a jogging stroller for real running but I would also like to be able to take it on the subway, shops etc. So I was hoping to buy one with a front swivel wheel.
Is the front swivel wheel incompatible with serious jogging?
Also, I'm 5'7" - always thought I was pretty average ht, but a shorter friend of mine seems to think I might need a stroller meant for taller people. Really??
I have only been recommended the BOB brand (not even sure which model) by a few people, so any other recommendations for proper jogging strollers (with or without swivel wheel) is much appreciated. I see Baby jogger, Expedition and Dreamer design strollers on CL today. Would any of these be any good?
TIA,

strollerqueen
07-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Hi there,

I responded to you on Swap, but in case you didn't see it...I'm afraid you will need a fixed wheel jogger for serious running. Great outdoor stroller, not great indoors. For indoors, you will need a smaller, swivel wheeled stroller. I just put up some new pictures and reviews of joggers on my website that may be helpful to you.

BayAreaMom
07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi,
I bought the BOB SUS hoping that I could use it as a more multi-purpose stroller for walking or at parks and for serious running (i run 3-6 miles, 9-10 min miles) but its a real pain to manuever the fixed wheel. You have to basically lift the front wheel off the ground anytime you want to turn it even a little bit. The BOB is a great well-made stroller and works well for taller people since the handlebar isn't adjustble and it's fairly high off the ground.

I bought the swivel-wheel Zooper Boogie for non-running outdoor activities. It's very hard to run with because even in fixed mode the wheel still wobbles a bit. You'll also find that most swivel-wheels strollers don't have wheels large enough to run with nor do they have the handlebar brake which is a key safety thing.

Hope this helps

jhrabosk
07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
We just bought our BOB Ironman last week and LOVE it. I was very reluctant to buy the fixed wheel because I was concerned about ease of use. In the end, we decided that we wouldn't use it as our everyday stroller anyway, so we should get the right tool for the job (i.e., fixed wheel for running).

We tested the BOB Revolution (swivel wheel that can be locked) and it's a GREAT stroller. Would probably be ok for jogging, but not the best for the amount of money you're spending.

So far, I've only walked with it (just not back up to running yet) and I have NO problems maneuvering. Sure, it's not AS easy as a swivel wheel, but I find it very easy. It's not great for subways and shopping though...just too big. We wear DD in a carrier a lot, but will probably get a Mac Triumph or something small for city or shopping-type activities.

As for height...I'm about 5'6" and I think the height it great. DH is 6'1" and is happy, too.

anamika
07-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks all. Oh well, I guess I have to live with the fixed wheel. I have a fixed wheel Zooper which I like so maybe it won't be so bad.
So BOB is the way to go?? Are the Baby jogger etc not upto par?
Thanks again,