PDA

View Full Version : middle class stroller/car seat setup

nbs2
07-31-2006, 01:16 PM
My wife is due in February, so something tells me I'm jumping the gun just a little....

We were at the Great Beginnings store this past weekend to get a feel for how the whole baby shopping thing is going to work out, and reached a point of even greater confusion:

We started off interested the Chicco C1, but after picking it up, the think fell like it was made of lead, so we decided that the Cortina would be our choice to research more deeply. Then, we happened to see the P3s and started to like those a lot. Of course, being new to all of this, we are really feeling the pressure to travel system the whole kit.

The guy at GB was rather helpful tried to steer us to what he felt was quality, rather than more expensive. But, reading a lot of the threads here, I'm not sure what really to do. So - a) how do you feel about travel systems vs. a mix and match plan, and b) for a middle class couple, what is a good car seat/stroller setup? I should clarify that we may take it on trails, but nothing too rugged. Just looking at the variety that you all mention has my head spinning....

lilac0422
07-31-2006, 05:19 PM
I just wanted to say don't give in to the travel system mania. Unless you happen to find a stroller that you love and a carseat that you love and they also just happen to come as a set. Otherwise save yourself a lot of frustration and buy a quality stroller (afterall you might possibly be using it for years) and buy a quality, easy to use and install carseat. They are each important in their own ways and should be treated as separate purchases if you want to get the most out of each one.

For our needs, we ended up with a Chicco Keyfit infant seat (which I highly recommend by the way), the Mac Techno Classic and probably the MBUS. Good luck!!

Tondi G
07-31-2006, 06:03 PM
My suggestion would be to buy the stroller you like and the infant seat you like! You won't use the infant seat for that long so getting a quality stroller for the better part of 3 or more years is what is most important!

we have a P3 and LOVE it.... had a reg Pliko for #1 and upgraded to a P3 for #2! I've been looking at Infant seats with a friend of mine who just had a baby and if I were in the market for one today I would be buying a Chicco Key Fit... no doubt!

If you like the P3 and want a color that will "match" I would suggest the Safari or Toffee P3 and the Chicco Key Fit in the Explorer color! http://www.greatbeginningsonline.com/store/item.asp#dropdown

Here is a GREAT price on a P3 in Safari (ours is this color and we love it!)

http://www.specialtybaby.com/pegpe20plp3m4.html

It will go together well enough and before you know it you'll be ditching the infant seat and loving your stroller on it's own!

Good Luck, hope this helped you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

nbs2
07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Is there a reason why you decided against the Cortina or P3? We hadn't thought about a Mac, but it looks pretty nice.

We were hoping to only have one stroller, but may tack on an umbrella later if the "primary" is too bulky to be convenient. I was under the impression that they are rather lightweight, but could the Techno serve as our primary?

clc053103
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
ITA with prior posters! I got the matchy matchy travel system which looked great - for the entire 4 months that DS could fit in the car seat!! Then not only did I go shopping for a convertible seat, but for a new stroller as well!

I have a Zippy and love it! Would recommend Zippy, P3 or C1 as all are similar and highly recommended. There are so many colors out there, you could manage a decent match with a car seat on any.

I note you are interested in a Mac as an option- most Mac's do not take infant seats so consider that if you want to use the stroller with the infant car seat.

Another option is to get a snap and go type stroller frame for quick trips where you want the baby to stay in the car seat, and put baby in the stroller directly for longer trips out and about- as it is recommended that babies not stay in their car seats for extended periods outside the car.

Good luck in your stroller search!So great when the daddy to be is doing the research!

nbs2
07-31-2006, 08:21 PM
hmmm.....I get the feeling that nobody here likes the Cortina - is there a reason?

tondi - how do you like the P3 from last year compared with the newer models? we got screwed when we both a previous model mattress for our bed, so I'm a bit shy on getting something sight unseen, unless it is comparable to the current model

clc - thanks for the warning on the Mac. we looked at the snap and go style, but we really didn't like it. I mean, we really didn't like it. as in hated it :) You said you love the Zippy - does it feel like it would would work well as an umbrella? It's a bit pricey, but if it will serve both purposes, I think we could justify it.

lilac0422
07-31-2006, 09:39 PM
I never considered the Cortina. I thought the Cortina was too bulky when it was folded. I like the umbrella fold and handles of the C1 though. I did consider the C1 for a time but it was just too heavy and big for our tastes (almost 23 lbs). I thought I would like the snack tray/napper bar for a year or so and then I wouldn't want it on anymore. I felt like it would get in the way of a larger child getting in and out. I know that it can be removed but then IMO it just looks like a piece of the stroller is broken off. So that ruled out the C1, Zippy and P3. Although I had already ruled out the P3 because it felt so plasticky and rickety. Oh boy...I didn't actually say that did I...ha ha. Only my opinion though.

We went with the Mac because I thought it would have a longer life in our family then any other stroller. We have the Classic with the head hugger and extra padding for the seat. I think it will take us from newborn to 55 lbs for sure. I didn't care if it was carseat compatible because I think that it is so much better for the baby to lay right in the stroller. I feel bad for babies that are sitting in their carseats all day.

When looking for our primary stroller, we wanted a light weight stroller (about 16 lbs) that had full recline with good padding and a good sunshade. I think we got that with the 2006 Techno. All of the other Macs are more suited for toddlers and older kids and are more what would come to mind when someone thinks of an umbrella stroller. I think of the Techno as a full featured stroller like the P3 or Zippy just without the napper bar/tray.

Having said that, for our purposes one stroller was unrealistic. I don't think that the Mac or the P3 like strollers would handle our outdoor terrain well. They would get beat up fast. We are getting the MBUS for our outdoor stroller (going to the dog park, the fair, and walking on our gravel rural roads). I will save my Mac for the indoor stuff.

ellies mom
08-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Not CL, but I have the Zippy and while it isn't a super light weight umbrella it does fold like one and is quite compact in the our car. We have a really lightweight umbrella stroller but we almost always just use the Zippy instead. DD is almost 3, we have used it since birth and I still love this stroller.

You can take it on trails but I don't think you'ld have a lot of fun but most of your "car" strollers wouldn't be a lot of fun on trails. You really almost need a second stroller for that. You would probably want a jogging type stroller (I really like the ones with the swivel front wheel). Schwinn (Instep) and Baby Trend make affordable strollers that would serve this purpose. We actually bought the Baby Trend Expedition LE (comes with an infant car seat) along with the Zippy when DD was born. It worked really well for us but it's too bad their swivel wheel version doesn't come as a "travel system"

Also, the P3/Zippy strollers are a little spendy but in my mind the stroller is a good place to spend the money because you will be using it all the time for a very long time. If you think about it, your baby will only be in a bouncy seat and swing for a few months, same with a lot of the other baby stuff. But your stroller? You'll be pushing it, carrying it, folding it, and unfolding several times a week for a long time.

ETA- If it makes you feel better, my DH started stocking up on diapers the week we had the pregancy confirmed by the doctor. Look at it this way, you'll have time to make sure you make good decisions. Plus it took us several shopping trips just to get over the completely overwelmed feeling those stores bring on.

MommyAllison
08-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Not Tondi, but we have the P3 from 2005 and love it. The only thing that changed from 2005 to 2006 is color selection. Nothing else. So if you like the 2005 colors, go for it! Some great deals out there!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

The Review Mommy
08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Hello, and Welcome! :)

C1 vs Cortina:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=76480&mesg_id=76480&listing_type=search

P3-2005 AND 2006 are practically the same. Minor differences are discused in the below threads as well as the Zippy differences which are quite huge between the 2005 and the 2005 1/2. The 2006 adds a snack tray.

P3, Zippy, C1
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=71606&mesg_id=71606&page=&topic_page=1

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=76167&mesg_id=76167&listing_type=search

You can find some great deals right now online for the 2005's. Since DW is due in Feb you might be able to hold off and get a deal on a 2006 when the new 2007's come out. Don't feel like you have to pay full retail price for a great stroller, and don't feel like you have to get a Travel System or the typical Graco/Evenflo/Eddie Baur strollers just because your "middle class". Most of us aren't millionaries-lol! ;) But we've been there, and done that and aggree that finding the right stroller is gold! :D

We will gladly help you with all and any questions you might have. There are wonderful threads to research on this board (click link at the top) to narrow down your search. And just in case you need some professional advice there's always the one and only "Stoller Queen" to talk to and website to look through.
http://www.strollerqueen.com/

ETA-Link for P3 comparison.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=65554&mesg_id=65554&page=&topic_page=1

Rebekah

clc053103
08-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I hated the snap and go when I first shopped too- I actually called it an "erector set"! But I ate my words and soon bought one- simply b/c I had a c section, and it was the easiest in and out of the car when it was hard to lift anything!

I use my Zippy every day, weight in and out of the car never bothers me, b/c lighter strollers just don't push the way this does. It's a workhorse, the one handed fold is a lifesaver when you are holding a baby. I'm sorry I didn't have this from day one. My personal favorite features are the extendable leg rest- DS's little legs just dangled in the other strollers, the huge canopy, easy recline, and of course that fold.

HOWEVER- I don't use it too often on off road walks- trails, rough roads, boardwalk. I agree with Lilac that it's hard to get by with one stoller. I would go with a reasonably priced 3 wheel with a swivel/fixable front wheel for those purposes for a much smoother ride.

MamaKath
08-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Ditto on Tondi's thoughts!!! After owning a ton of strollers, the one I used/use the most is the Pliko I bought for ds. It is now 4 years old, and still being used on occassion. I was just thinking the other day how if I knew then what I know now it would have been my main stroller purchase. As they say hindsight is 20/20! :-) Reasons why- It is a full featured model that fold small; it lays flat for a newborn with the legrest that comes up; it has a snacktray; decent basket; big sun canopy; handles most suburban terrain; footpegs on the back for a sibling. If I were buying a new stroller today I would be looking at a P3, Zippy, C1, or Techno and be narrowing down my preference from there.

As for carseats- DD was born in the spring (April), and hated the infant seat so it was easier to deal with a convertible (we got a Roundabout when she was 2 weeks old and kicked ourselves for not getting it from the start). Ds was born in the winter and the first few months to bring him to and from the car we liked an infant seat, but it was overall a shortlived pleasure. Most important is getting one that fits well in your car to protect your child in an accident. If it works with your stroller for quick trips consider it an added benefit, but not a neccessity.

Most of all CONGRATS on your soon-to-be addition!!!