PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Jeep all-terrain. Should I return it?

Urbanamom
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I bought a Jeep all-terrain (plastic tires) to replace an aging Evenflo. I decided against a light-weight because I needed something to smooth out the ride for my baby. Should I keep this or are there better options for the money? I like the steering though it does seem tippy, and the lock feature when I used it, sterred the stroller in a straight line off the sidewalk. The baby doesn't mind the seat, and he loves the toy! The handle height is perfect and the stroller does not interfere with my long stride. I also got a rain cover from Toys r' Us, but its ill fitting and bulky and will soon be returned. Anyone else love or hate their jeep all-terrain?

Joolsplus2
08-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Is it the three wheeled Liberty one? I think that's actually pretty nice. Unless you want to spend more money on a baby jogger, BOB, or Mountain Buggy or Phil N Ted's E3, then I think you'll be happy enough with it (I DO love my mountain buggy, I won't lie, but I've wanted one for years now, lol)

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

clc053103
08-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Someone else was asking about this stroller recently- here was my response:
---
I also have the Jeep Liberty- I was previously a fan but 1 year later, I am looking to replace it.

It is VERY tippy. Even in fixed wheel mode, I've almost tipped it several times on steeper inclines/declines. It is also very small- my 1 year old is about to outgrow it! It also does not fold well at all- the parent console pops off every time, and it folds HUGE. Not a problem here b/c it was my garage stroller, but the one time I did have to take it somewhere, I was not pleased.

On the positives: love the speakers! Love the toys- DS plays the whole way! Good price. Great big basket too.

---

if you are planning to use as an all around stroller, I would say it's not the one for you- it is not easy in and out of the car. But it has served us well in the neighborhood- just watch out for tippiness!

ShanaMama
08-15-2006, 08:47 PM
I am looking to replace my Evenflo with a good all-around stroller. I found this thread while searching,and wanted to know how things turned out?
Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Jeep?
How's the recline, and how compact is it?
TIA

Urbanamom
08-18-2006, 02:24 PM
My experiences to this point have been great. Like another poster said, it is tippy and has a somewhat bulky fold. Its also heavy. But if you have an Evenflo like I had, you're used to it lol. My son rides comfy and its so great not to see his head get jerked around with every bump or dip in the sidewalk. I like the storage, though I wish I had more (who doesn't?), Its very sharp looking and gets me lots of ooohs and ahhhs, and for the money its a great stroller and handles well. I'm still stroller searching however as I'd like something that's lighter when travelling and that can also handle uneven sidewalks (especially in winter)...Any suggestions anyone?

heather13
08-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I've only been using mine for a few weeks as a neighborhood stroller and for the cheap cost it's decent. In retrospect I wish I'd gotten a Zippy or Phil & Ted's E3 rather than two separate strollers for walking and errands. But since it's too late for that the Jeep is not a bad choice. My DD is very petite and we have very few hills in our neighborhood (though lots of uneven sidewalks) and it does just fine so far without tipping. I was able to fit a small amount of groceries, trip to the drugstore, and Indian take-out in the basket tonight without a problem - so much better than most strollers. And I love the parent cupholder and storage on the handlebars. Plus I'm able to steer it just fine while walking the dog. It's not as smooth as some more expensive options, but does the trick. I'm eager to see how it works on snow though. So far it does well on wet streets. And like I said we've only got a few weeks under our belts, could be rough later on. As far as recline, it goes pretty far back but my DD rarely sleeps in the stroller.

By the way, I can't comment on folding since we leave it open in our garage. It's fairly heavy too so I leave it outside rather than carrying it up & down steps. It's not good for jogging or running but does well enough on dirt paths. DD gets bounced a little in it but not as bad as her umbrella stroller. And the wheels have just started to squeak after just a few weeks use, but haven't used anything yet to reduce it. This is the one with rubber tires instead of inflatable ones by the way (from TRU).

smwisc
08-19-2006, 02:48 PM
I love mine - we've had it for a few months. We haven't had any problems with tipping, baby is comfy, storage is good, steers really well, smooth ride - IMO, a great value. Comparable tri-wheel all-terrains are at least twice, maybe 3x as much. Although it does stay in our garage - I have Chicco C6 that lives in the trunk of the car. I decided I'd rather have two than try to get one that did it all, because I wanted something super light for errands and something that could handle rougher terrain for walks. And for the price of the Jeep, I felt no guilt buying two! Sure, if money were no object, I might buy something different, but I'm very happy with it.

Edited to add: I just noticed that you have the one with the plastic tires - mine has air-filled tires, which I think is worth the $20-$30 extra. Although I didn't try the plastic tires, so I can't say for sure.

ShanaMama
08-19-2006, 08:55 PM
What do you mean when you say 'tippy'? If DD leans out to the side to reach for something, do I have to worry that the whole thing will flip over?
Is this an issue with all 3 wheelers?
Thanx!

Urbanamom
08-23-2006, 06:08 PM
What I meant by tippy, at least for us, was that when I go down hills, or up higher curbs, or turn too quickly, or strangely, when I turn around while still pushing (had this happen twice!) the stroller tries to tip over. It is very hard to stop a 26 lb stroller from falling once its halfway to the ground lol. I just went ahead and bought a Maclaren techno TX 2005 today for trips around the block, for going on buses and trains, visiting friends, and times when I don't want to haul the Jeep. Oddly enough, my first impressions of the Maclaren is that the Jeep is easier to push. I could actually feel my gluts getting a workout lol. But my son actually got a smoother ride and fell right to sleep, something he doesn't do that often in the Jeep. But I'll review the Maclaren more in another post.
Urbana

strollerqueen
08-24-2006, 04:02 AM
Yes. Mine tipped sideways several times when DS was a baby, and leaned over the side.

BarbieSmith
09-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I loved my Jeep! Until my second infant came along, and then I got a P&T E3, which I also love. Honestly, I think they handle the same, and they feel like they are the same weight... I am not a connoisseur, but I was equally happy with both! Just one has an extra seat!
Barbie

http://lilypie.com/pic/060616/jxZr.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/Hz6Zm4.png

www.SmithAngels.com - we want to adopt again! :)