PDA

View Full Version : double stroller for newborn twins...

ctmom
08-03-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm trying to help a friend who expecting twins pick out a stroller. I did a search but a lot of threads talk about using doubles with two different aged children. Which doubles can you put infant carriers in? She thinks she will mostly be using it indoors; mall, errands etc. so lightweight, getting it in and out of the car is a must. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

lisajb
08-03-2006, 08:49 AM
For newborn twins, I think the Baby Trend Snap n Go is the best option. It is essentially a frame into which the infant car seats are placed, so it can be used until the babies outgrow those car seats. It works with most car seats; if there is a question about whether it will work with the car seats your friend has chosen she can call the manufacturer of the Snap n Go to make sure it will work before buying the stroller. It is lightweight, inexpensive, and folds easily to get it in and out of the car. It works best on smooth indoor surfaces so it sounds good for what she wants it to do. (That said, I am still using mine for outdoor walks on bad, uneven sidewalks....not ideal, but I've yet to purchase other double strollers, who has the time? ;) ) My feeling about the Snap n Go is that it also basically buys time for the parents, to figure out what kind of stroller(s) they want/need for their twins, something I don't think it's possible to know until the twins are here and you're running around with them.

The Snap n Go is 100 bucks at BRU.

HTH.

lisajb
08-03-2006, 08:49 AM
For newborn twins, I think the Baby Trend Snap n Go is the best option. It is essentially a frame into which the infant car seats are placed, so it can be used until the babies outgrow those car seats. It works with most car seats; if there is a question about whether it will work with the car seats your friend has chosen she can call the manufacturer of the Snap n Go to make sure it will work before buying the stroller. It is lightweight, inexpensive, and folds easily to get it in and out of the car. It works best on smooth indoor surfaces so it sounds good for what she wants it to do. (That said, I am still using mine for outdoor walks on bad, uneven sidewalks....not ideal, but I've yet to purchase other double strollers, who has the time? ;) ) My feeling about the Snap n Go is that it also basically buys time for the parents, to figure out what kind of stroller(s) they want/need for their twins, something I don't think it's possible to know until the twins are here and you're running around with them.

The Snap n Go is 100 bucks at BRU.

HTH.

ctmom
08-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I didn't even think about a snap n go, I didn't know it came in a double! Great suggestion!

Thanks,
Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

newbelly2002
08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Please do consider, though, that car seats are not ideal stroller seats. Babies, especially newborns, should be fully reclined at 180 degrees. There should be no pressure on their spines until they are initiating it. This is true of singles, of course, but with all the time constraints of twins--i.e they spend more time in "devices" (swings, bouncy chairs, etc)--it seems to me to be an even more pressing issue.

For quick errands it is a solution, but if possible please see if there is something else.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
Sebastian and Tillman 3/06

newbelly2002
08-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Please do consider, though, that car seats are not ideal stroller seats. Babies, especially newborns, should be fully reclined at 180 degrees. There should be no pressure on their spines until they are initiating it. This is true of singles, of course, but with all the time constraints of twins--i.e they spend more time in "devices" (swings, bouncy chairs, etc)--it seems to me to be an even more pressing issue.

For quick errands it is a solution, but if possible please see if there is something else.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
Sebastian and Tillman 3/06

hardysmom
08-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Two things-- First, I found my Snap N Go Double to be invaluable when my twins came home. I started with A SNGD and a MBUD for longer outings when I didn't want my babies top stay in their carseats, but honestly, for most of us with newborn twins (particurly those suburban moms who tend to drive rather than walk on daily errands) almost all outings are quickies. I also had a 2 yr old when my twins arrived, so for the zoo and neighborhood walks, I liked having something more substantial. Still, a SNGD will buy a little time.

By the way, no SBS can hold 2 seats.

My second thing is that one of my kids had plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome), which is the most common condition associated with the over-use of carseats and baby devices. Twins, in particular, are more prone b/c so many arive early with softer skulls or (like my daughter) are born with an odd headshape because of their cramped position in the womb. Anyway, as Paula mentioned, the bigger thing is to make sure they don't spend all their time moving from device to device-- hanging out in the carseats, napping in swings, resting in bouncy-seats, etc. Again, this is a big issue with twin parents b/c you never have enough hands and you'll do just about anything for a moment of peace.

Anyway, I couldn't have stayed sane w/o the Snap N Go. That, and the EZ 2 Nurse (foam) twin nursing pillow are lifesavers.

Stephanie

ctmom
08-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I noticed you have twins, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03