PDA

View Full Version : does my dream double stroller exist?

BarbieSmith
08-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I am very stroller ignorant - please forgive me! This stroller is for my 2 girls, newborn and 16 mos.

*I love the "jogging" style strollers - with the large wheels (I currently have a Jeep and I am very happy with it! You can probably tell I am a stoller neophyte!). Of course, if a jogger, it MUST have front swivelling wheel! I actually *do* jog with it, but only occassionally and not very far (which is why the Jeep is working fine for me).

*Of course the stroller needs to seat 2 babies - I don't know if tandem or the other kind (!) is better... I would love suggestions.

*I care *very* much about sun protection!

(I do not care as much about size, price, etc.)

I did a search of this board, but got so overwhelmed, and with 6-day old baby I do not have enough time to read through the past year or so of posts. Any help would be very appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!
Barbie

http://lilypie.com/pic/060616/jxZr.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/Hz6Zm4.png

www.SmithAngels.com - we want to adopt again! :)

american_mama
08-03-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm not an expert in the Mountain Buggy Urban Double, but I think almost everyone loves theirs. I also think for a double jogger, it's probably lighter than most. If the canopies don't provide adequate sun protection, you could add on a shade. Kiddpotamus makes one, I think. There's the Pepenny or Bepenny or something... someone who knows can list them.

The Baby Jogger also makes a Double City Jogger with swivel wheel. It has an easy fold. Marisa61826 has one, if you want to email her.

Anyway, I am not an expert on doubles, but just wanted to get the ball rolling and hope more replies come your way.

bubbaray
08-03-2006, 04:59 PM
I think you might like the BJCSD better than the MBUD -- it has a better canopy. It also folds better and more compactly. Most moms think it also has a more upright seatback, which some children prefer. Even in its most upright position, the MBUD seatback isn't completely upright. BJ customer service FAR outshines the MB customer service (I have a 2005 MBUS on its SECOND handlebar recall).

Others to consider: BOB Revolution Dualie (not enough recline for a newborn, though), Safari TT Double (too wide to fit through most doorways, but OK if you'll only be using it outside). Valco makes a number of models you might like -- depending on how much your oldest actually rides now, you could get a Valco single with a toddler seat. Ditto for the ABC stroller.

You can take my comments with a grain of salt, however, as I haven't yet purchased a double (though hopefully I will need one). I have, however, tried out most of the ones out there and have had (at last count) 11 different strollers for DD. I am hoping to purchase the BJCSD when I'm a little further along. If I didn't need a newborn friendly stroller, I would get the BOB, as the BOB Revolution single is by FAR my DD's favorite stroller.

BTW, and totally an aside, I read your website and it was beautiful. We too have gone through IF treatments and if this PGy doesn't work out, we will be moving onto adoption as this is my last "try" with the treatments. Your website really did give me so much hope. Thank you.

All the best,

Melissa

http://b3.lilypie.com/rppJm7/.png[/img][/url]

http://bd.lilypie.com/fYrCm7.png

catfeet
08-03-2006, 09:11 PM
The Valco models are good, but you do have to add after-market sun protection to them. This, IMHO, makes a much better shade than most, because it protects little legs!

Ann, with very fair & sun-burny kids

MamaKath
08-03-2006, 11:04 PM
First off CONGRATULATIONS on Mia's arrival!!!! I have not been around much with all the hot summer days and am so excited to see the news of a new arrival to your family!!!

Strollerwise, I recently got out to play with a bunch. :-) For the ages of your girls I would go for a sbs double. Since you like the looks of a jogger, I would take a look at the Baby Jogger City Twin (BJCD) and the Bob Revolution Double. I am not sure offhand if the Bob is completely newborn appropriate (recline) but would be okay in a short time. The fold on the BJ is a dream so it would be great, and it reclines completely!!! Any double can have a sunshade added. Some are like a big sunbonnet brim while others are a mesh UV blocker that attaches more tightly to the front (like mosquito netting). I have used both and for the northeast where we live (we have been living in NJ, PA, and MD since we first had kiddos) I prefer the kind that is like bug mesh. We get eaten alive these days when we are out!!!

Congratulations on becoming a Mommy to 2!!! I hope your lives continue to be richly blessed. :-)

shilo
08-04-2006, 02:26 AM
hi barbie,

no matter which stroller you choose, if you're a fanatic about the sun (ok, i admit it, i'm one too - to much lily white skin and freckles in this household not to be... ) you should check out sasha's sun shades. http://www.sashaskiddieproducts.com/joggers.htm . they block
60+% of the UVA/UVB rays and you can get them for a lot of models (looks like they even have one for your jeep). even if they don't have your 'new' double model listed, contact them anyway, a friend did for her BOB and their response was "oh sure, we make them, it's just that BOB won't let us advertise that we do...".

congratulations again (you might have missed your 'lounge' post what with a newborn and all :) ) on your new addition! hope mia is letting you catch a little sleep and that ava is loving being a big sister.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Ohio_Mom
08-04-2006, 11:10 AM
I've had a number of different double strollers, and right now the two in my stable (that I'm VERY happy with, I might add) are the Baby Jogger City Series Double (which is a side-by-side) and the Jane Powertwin (which is a tandem). I tend to use the BJCSD for outdoor excursions, and the Powertwin for indoor stuff like the mall, market, etc. where maneuverability in smaller spaces is more of a concern.

I absolutely LOVE both of these strollers, and would happily recommend them to you for your kids. Especially with the age gap you mentioned (a baby and a 16 month old), the Powertwin might be a great option for you.

I've had a Valco single with toddler seat, and whereas I think the Runabout is an awesome stroller, the toddler seat setup wasn't working for us very well. Same with the E3. I really needed a recline for the baby when he was napping, plus I hated having no storage.

The Mountain Buggy Urban Double was a good stroller, but the fold was enormous and it was too heavy for me to lift easily. It didn't have an easy place to hold onto it hen lifting, and it didn't latch closed, so it was very difficult for me to move. Plus, the single sun canopy not only didn't give me the flexibility to adjust for the different needs of my baby versus my toddler, but it also didn't give very good coverage in the first place. The sun was forever beating upon the faces of my kids, even with the canopy fully extended.

The Baby Jogger isn't exactly as smooth as the MBUD, but it's still pretty darn nice. The individual sun canopies are great, and there isn't any need for an after-market sun cover with this one. The coverage is awesome! There's also a window you can open up on top of each canopy to look in and see your kids while you're pushing them, which I really appreciate (The MBUD has a window too, but it's right in the middle of the single canopy, so you can only see right into the middle of the stroller. The Baby Jogger windows let you see each kid really clearly). But the big selling point for me on the BJCSD is the fold. Even though the stroller is as heavy as the MBUD, I have no problem picking up and moving the BJCSD wherever I need to, and as often as I need to. The fold on the Baby Jogger is soooo easy! You just grab onto two straps in the seats, pull up, and voila! It's folded! And the straps turn into handles that you can hand onto when you lift it up. That makes a huge difference in ease of use, IMO. Plus, the fold is about half the size of the MBUD. And the kicker, of course, is that the price is a lot better.

As far as the Powertwin is concerned, it's really an awesome stroller for two small kids spaced fairly close together. Its longevity isn't what the MBUD or BJCSD's would be, since I can't imagine a child fitting comfortably in the front seat much past three years old (the seats are significantly smaller than the SBS all-terrain strollers I mentioned), but it's still an amazing stroller. The seats are incredibly plush and comfy for the kids, the push is FANTASTIC, and it's unbelievably maneuverable. I really can't say enough good things about it. The only serious drawback is the smaller seats, which again, for the age gap you're talking about, wouldn't be a big deal for quite a while. Once your kids outgrew the Powertwin, you could always sell it and upgrade to one of the SBS doubles instead.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Hopefully that will give you something to start with. LMK if you have any additional questions!

MarieBunny
08-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Also be sure to check out the new Dreamer Design Manhattan Ditto. It has a swivel wheel, is a SBS double and a generous sunshade! It is also only 28 lbs. It is brand new so I don't know if you can find any reviews out on it yet but the price tag is reasonable (around 300) compared to some of these other $500+ doubles.

I got a Valco Runabout with toddler seat. While it is an expensive stroller, it is much cheaper than buying a comparable double and nice to be able to use as a single jogger too. I admit that I haven't used it much in doubles mode yet except to try it out because baby number 2 isn't here yet. But I am very happy with my purchase so far. It is a very well made stroller. Good luck on your stroller search!

BarbieSmith
09-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I just want to update that I got the P&T E3 (in red) and I LOVE it! It is wonderful. The only thing I do not like (in N/T mode) is that my toddler wants to sit a little more upright. Otherwise it handles like a dream!
Thanks for the help,
Barbie

http://lilypie.com/pic/060616/jxZr.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/Hz6Zm4.png

www.SmithAngels.com - we want to adopt again! :)