PDA

View Full Version : I really don't know what stroller to pick for my first- due in November

confusednewbie
09-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I registered for the chicco key fit, based on recommendations here, as well as the Cortina stroller.
I have since seen that maybe the waltz or a zippy or a maclaren would be better than the chicco brand.
I've tried to search and pick out posts about each and narrow down the pros and cons of each- but it seemed easier to just post and see if I get any feedback.
My husband and I both want the stroller to be lightweight.
I really want it to be easy to fold up, lock, and put away if I'm alone and have to do it one handed while holding baby boy.
We both want it to be comfortable since we're both tall, which is why we liked the cortina for it's adjustable handles.
We also want it to last us awhile and be able to hold the key fit if we wanted to.

So?? What do you all think? ;-)
Michelle

rickandsinead
09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
We're in the same spot - due in Dec with our first. After 2 months of test drives at BRU, price shopping in bizrate.com, and posting a few questions we have settled on Chicco Keyfit (we were dead set on not getting an infant seat at first and going straight to a Britax Marathon). We plan to pair the Chicco in Explorer with a Pliko P3 in Toffee or Safari. We liked the Chicco C1 and Cortina, but the weight and usabilty were reported issues. best of luck. ras

PS - we've found a 2005 P3 at Albeebaby.com for $210.

rockchick15
09-23-2006, 08:23 AM
while I do not own a Cortina, I have tried them out before, at a Baby Fair and LOVED it! It wouold have been my pick if I hadn't seen the Rock Star Baby. I just fell in love with it. I think the Cortina is a great stroller, has great features, and the priuce is right! A friend of mine has a Chicco umbrella type stroller for 4 yrs and it outlasted her DD. For full featured strollers, lightweight is usually something you forego. I know I did. I just bought a maclaren for later on for quicker trips where I needed something quick and lightweight. I think my DD was about 4 months when I bought the Mac. She loves both her strollers. I use the RSB at the mall or for longer outinggs, walking, zoo, etc.. And the Mac for quick errands and traveling to places like Disney.

I think you would be happy with the Cortina. A Zippy is always a good choice too, although I personally don't really like them all that much. Others rave about them though! Lots of luck!

shilo
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
of what you listed, personally, i'd go with a zippy. the cortina is a good full featured stroller, but it is big and heavy. lightweights have their place, but generally, that place is when the baby is at least 4-6mos old, or older. some people never give up their full featured strollers. it's really not something you can decide about up front before you have your baby, and know what works for you and what your preferences are. and the fact is, your preferences will change over time as the baby gets to be a toddler, etc. but anyway, i don't think you'd be happy with the mac straight out of the gate mostly just because they are not newborn compatible. the zippy on the other hand is smaller and lighter than the cortina (by 5lbs), has the umbrella fold, and an extra bonus, the toddler step. the disadvantages over the cortina - you loose the parent tray (you could always add on a carryyou to a dual handled stroller if the cup holder isn't enough - a cup holder is all i've ever had, so i'm used to it) and the adjustable height handles. if you go with something earlier than the '06 to save money, you loose the kid snack tray (you get both a bumper and a tray which you can swap out on the '06). the '05 and 1/2 may have this, i'm not sure, but the '05 and previous do not. i personally am one who prefer's the zippy to it's peg counterpart, the P3 (not based on personal experience, but friends strollers, where the zippy's seem to be holding up better over time than the P3's with daily use - the P3's are having a little trouble with frame flex, but there may be user variability i'm not taking into account), but with the P3, you do get the extendable handles. only way to know if you need this would be to go push them both in person and see if the zippy is tall enough for both of you. i have no experience with the waltz other than test driving. for me, it was way too tall, without an adjustable handle, so that may work for you. not as plush in the padding as a zippy/P3 i think, but otherwise, seemed to be a quality stroller.

the key fit wasn't out when we were looking, so neither i nor any of my friends have one. i have no idea what strollers it fits, sorry. curious, if you have the zippy on your short list, have you checked out the chicco C1? it seems to be in the same category as the zippy/P3 and would definitely take the key fit. looked like a good quality stroller in person - might be just what you're looking for...

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.