PDA

View Full Version : Which way should we go?

nbs2
10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
So, my wife and I have decided that we like the Keyfit so much that it is our carseat of choice. As for stroller options, we thought we knew what we wanted. then we spent the weekend with some friends and their Techno XT. Now we don't know.

We had planned on getting a P3 (or Venezia) and eventually an umbrella. But, we liked the Techno so much, we thought that maybe using one from the beginning (or something like it) would be good, and getting one of those Snap N Go style carrier frames would give us the convenience of not moving the sleeping baby.

Then we thought that the Zippy was about as light as, and folds as compact as, the Techno (well, within tolerance). That could serve as a jack of all trades.

Then we remembered a jogger that we saw that wasn't too big and heavy (and folded really easy), that had an unlockable front wheel for added mobility.

This has driven both of us kind of crazy, and we have now crossed the halfway point, so research for fun is now research for real. Any thoughts? What do you all suggest we get?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Well I am still buying strollers and my DD is 5 months old. We fell in love with the Valco Rebel and had to have it. Definately an awesome AT stroller but doesn't fold down as small as we would like. After DD was born, we got the Maclaren Easy Traveller to snap the car seat in. Two reasons for that: we have a Britax Companion Infant seat so some snap and gos weren't compatible and it folds super small. DD is big so she just moved into a convertibe car seat. Now the Easy Traveller is useless (but I sold it on CL for $70 after paying $81 for it so no big loss) and we just bought a Techno XT. It comes tomorrow so I will keep you updated. I bought it because of the adjustable harness (DD is still small and the straps on the other Macs were up by her head) and it fold flat so she could potentially sleep in it. Also, you can't beat how small the Macs fold!

Not sure if this helps, but I guess it comes down to the fact that you will probably need more than one stroller.

MNmomtobe
10-02-2006, 03:21 PM
We have the Maclaren Easy Traveller as well. You could use this while DC is in the infant seat then go with the Techno, Quest, or Ryder. If you truly like the Techno better than the P3 then skip the P3 and go with a snap and go type thing and get the Techno or similar more full featured umbrella later.
I have a P3 that I have barely used since I have the Easy Traveller. I plan on getting a Mac Ryder when DD is older if she finds it comfy enough. If not then maybe my P3 will get some use after all.
BTW, you will hear from people that will tell you that DC should never be in a snap and go type thing except for very short trips and should go directly in a stroller. While I agree with this for the most part, in real life this can be difficult. Our DD had such horrible reflux she was more comfortable in her carrier and when she finally did fall asleep, I wasn't about to wake her and put her directly in a stroller.

The Review Mommy
10-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Sorry, I can't vote lol! :)

I'm glad your getting the Ket fit. :D

Strollers are so personal...I recommend the Zippy or P3. Just choose which one you like best after a test run and thorough inspection. They are both really great strollers.

Most people will get the umbrella stroller eventually because of vacations, trips but mostly to have in anothers car-DH's etc. The Macs are the best for this-kudos! Try not to think about this yet though. If you find yourself the need I think a quest would be perfect. Much more versatile then the Triump and Volo, and more of the typical lighter weight umbrella then say the full featured Techno, Zippy or P3.

Only get an outdoor stroller if you'll actually use it-outside. They take up a lot of the trunk because they are a book-type fold. You may use it occasionally on the go but it's rather inconvenient. It will live in your garage mostly, but it depends on your life style. We have a Mountain Buggy which we love. This is one of the lightest all terrains with a lock/unlockable wheel. I use it almost every day in the morning during my mommy group fitness walks. We used the separate bassinet at first.

Bottom line is don't think too far ahead, one stroller at a time...You have a wonderful list and my guess is you'd probably be happy with any of them. I don't like the car seat carrier idea though. Seems too short lived and the P3 and Zippy can hold your car seat nicely if you ever had to use it. I'd say start with the P3 or Zippy and go from there, try to make it easier on yourself lol! ;)

Congrats!
Rebekah

lmwbasye
10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
I voted KeyFit and P3. We had a P3 when DS was born and began using it when he was 4 days old. LOVE this stroller. I voted for it over the Techno XT because I believe the sunshade is better, the basket is bigger, and the snack tray (while certainly not necessary) is nice to have when your little one is older. I sold my P3 for a short time and DS is turning two in 2 weeks and just ordered a new one. I've tried many a stroller and just keep coming back to this one. I highly recommend it! Plus, you won't need the snap and go type stroller with the P3.

Good luck!

ETA: Woops! That was 4 days old, not 4 months old.

nbs2
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Can't vote? Did I do something wrong in setting up the poll - the format for these forums is really alien to me (I'm more used to the traditional vB format along with thsoe at dpreview.com)?

All the responses have brought up interesting points that I hadn't considered, so I thought I shoudl clarify.

The reason for the car seat carrier was that we could augment it with an beefy umbrella (like the Techno) when not using the car seat and after he/she (tomorrow is the big ultrasound!) outgrows the carseat. Plus, I can't imagine snap and go technology is rapidly evolving, so the next car seat should work with it as well.

The advantage that we saw in the Zippy (we will probably take another look at it this weekend) was that it was significantly smaller and lighter than the P3, making it sort of a slim full stroller, which would be light enough for almost everything. I really can't imagine when we wouldn't use it - except for the fitness walks that you mentioned, which my wife was a big fan of until morning (well, all-day) sickness hit her like a ton of bricks. Which is why the MB sounds appealing.

Oh! And to make matters even more confusing, she's due 2/17. So I really don't know whether we should wait on a jogger until spring hits, or have something to navigate our inevitable wintry mix - the joys of DC life...).

The Review Mommy
10-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Oh, sorry-I meant to say I cant decide between the choices. I guess I would vote for one that said "get a p3 or Zippy and worry about the other strollers later" lol! Don't worry you are doing just fine! ;) Welcome and Congrats!

I love the Zippy. The P3 gets pretty snug on an older child but the seat in the Zippy is so roomy. I also like the true one hand fold, although the P3 is simple as well. I definitely like the steering on the Zippy better, the P3 is sort of plasticy and rickety to me. I do like the P3's ingenious harness for the older child. It's a floating one in the sense that it doesn't pin your active toddler against the seat back. They love to move around but are still protected. The little loop thing on the back of the seat is for convenience when you are getting the child in-a sort of holding place for the harness. I also like the adjustable handles although the Zippy's is longer then the P3's shortest setting...

I'd wait on the jogger. She won't be using it (right) after having the baby! ;) You can get a deal on a 2006 model when the 2007's come out in the spring? The Zippy does a fairly good job in snow/grass for a stroller that isn't an all-terrain. I don't like the P3 for this though. I really can't see the snap and go (gag) being used outside in these situations. It will be wonderful for malls, and smooth indoor floors though.

Rebekah

Joolsplus2
10-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Also, it depends on how frequently baby travels in which car. You kind of need a 'trunk stroller' for both cars so you aren't stuck...I vote Zippy (or P3...yes, you should try them both, they are both great!) AND Techno...one for each car, and a jogger for the garage so you can take walks in the neighborhood. (I only have...um... 6, I think, strollers for my 8 mo...). Or get a Quest for the second stroller, not a Techno, and then you can use it from about 2-3 months for quick errands.
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Joolsplus2
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
PS, LOVE the Key Fit!!! My 8 mo still has a couple inches of seat above her head, and it's hands down the easiest seat to install/uninstall I've ever owned...and the harness is like buttah, it's so smooth! I'm getting a Graco SafeSeat 1 to get us through winter, though, I like the convenience of an infant seat...I'll be sure to chime in if I think it's much more fabulous than the Key Fit, check the carseat board for more.

:)

nbs2
10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
>Also, it depends on how frequently baby travels in which car.
> You kind of need a 'trunk stroller' for both cars so you
>aren't stuck...I vote Zippy (or P3...yes, you should try them
>both, they are both great!) AND Techno...one for each car, and
>a jogger for the garage so you can take walks in the
>neighborhood. (I only have...um... 6, I think, strollers for
>my 8 mo...). Or get a Quest for the second stroller, not a
>Techno, and then you can use it from about 2-3 months for
>quick errands.

Hmm....and what if I told you that we have one car and live in an apartment? Living in the DC area means that we still have a bit of cooling to wait for before we can enter the market, and when one spouse telecommutes (that would be her), the second car becomes more of a drain than a benefit. We car-sat over the summer, and I think we found that we "needed" the two cars for a total of maybe 10 hours in 4 months.

Anyhow, I noticed that CL had a Bob Sport Utility D'Lux for $100 - maybe we wait until after the kid is born and look for something like that.

It's funny - I hadn't even heard of Chicco, then Lori saw an ad in one of those magazines-for-parents-to-be-that-is-really-just-a-bunch-of-ads, we checked it out on a trip to Great Beginnings, and we haven't looked back. We are waiting until mid-November to buy it, but that is the only purchase we have can agree on.

Based on Rebekah's review of the Zippy, I'm thinking that is the way to go (but increased freedom of movement in the P3 is tempting). Do you (or anybody else) think that the Zippy folds up well (i.e. small and light) enough to serve as an umbrella?

The Review Mommy
10-03-2006, 04:56 PM
The P3 and Zippy, or full featured strollers fold like an umbrella but something like a Quest would be the kind of umbrella sized fold your thinking of. The Quest won't work with a newborn though. The P3 and Zippy have the best-or smallest, lightest fold for a full featured stroller-you really can't beat it. I can't imagine trying to fit the typical book fold travel system/stroller into my small Corolla trunk. I wouldn't have anywhere to put groceries lol! :) Like I said-It's all about life syle! If you have a beast of a car then you could probably fit one in there.

I would *SO* like to have only one car right now. We live in San Diego and the gas is outrageous! DH gets premium for his Celica...

We live in an apartment too. I think it would be best to forget about the snap and go then. You will be storing it longer then you will be using it. I still think a full featured stroller would be the way to go and I like how the P3 and Zippy "stand" when it's folded. I leave mine by the door all the time.

I think it's great that your getting a Chicco Keyfit. There are a few of us here that are CPS Techs and *LOVE* it, really-I think it's the best! :)

The P3 and Zippy both have their own wonderful features, good luck in making your decision.

Rebekah

lmwbasye
10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Actually, the P3 is lighter than the Zippy. Not sure about the fold, though.

nbs2
10-03-2006, 08:37 PM
So, you have the Zippy and the Key Fit? When you do use them together, how does that work? I have noticed that most carseats have that cutouts that have latches that clip the seat in. The Chicco looks smooth - no cutouts. How does that work?

Lori has decided that we need to adopt you as our aspirational goal - you drive a similar sized car (we have a Civic), have the Key Fit and Zippy, and live in the Promised Land (San Diego) where we hope to retire in...I guess it's way too early to think about that. :)

As for the actual weights, I find that I am really surprised by the actual weight after just picking them up - so the P3 being officially lighter wouldn't surprise me. The C1 is supposedly really light but I thought it felt incredibly heavy compared with even the Cortina.

theMama
10-03-2006, 08:43 PM
My favorite is Julie's suggestion about getting one of everything (if you want to splurge & have something for everything), but I also agree with Rebekah's suggestion of taking your time & getting one stroller at a time--not feeling like you have to commit to everything right now. Plus if you're like me, you'll want to see what's new for 2007 when they come out.

I have 2 friends that have the Mac Techno's & love them except for the lame basket underneath, & they have used them as their only strollers (one has a 2 year old, the other a 1 year old). If your wife likes to be outside with the stroller though, then I think an all-terrain would be the most beneficial. I prefer our umbrella for the mall & for traveling because of it's lightweight & small fold. We have a Combi Saavy Soho with a carrying strap--I love the fold, but I wish we had a Mac because they are so much easier to steer. We're expecting baby #2 & am probably going to invest in a Phil & Ted's E3 (all-terrain) since I mainly use the stroller outside & am tired of grinding to a halt with every bump the Combi hits. I can't convince DH of getting us a Zippy too since he likes how easy the Combi is to travel with & store & go through narrow shopping areas.

Dette
http://b3.lilypie.com/i3lBm5/.png[/img][/url]
http://bd.lilypie.com/Ieygm5.png[/img][/link]

Joolsplus2
10-04-2006, 04:54 AM
Well move on down to Chesterfield, the market is positively cold here. ;).

Then I vote Zippy from the get-go (or P3... remember, they are a personal experience, like finding just the right pair of shoes, lol).

Either one of those is about 12 times smaller than your standard 'convenience' stroller (Graco Quattro Tour or Evenflo Aura, etc).

:)

The Review Mommy
10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
>Lori has decided that we need to adopt you as our aspirational
>goal - you drive a similar sized car (we have a Civic), have
>the Key Fit and Zippy, and live in the Promised Land (San
>Diego) where we hope to retire in...I guess it's way too early
>to think about that. :)
>

LOL Neil! :D ITA with San Diego being the promised land. It took me years to get here and even though we still don't own a house (it's tuff when you first start out) you couldn't pay me a million dollars to move away! *LOVE* it!

As for the gear I don't own the Key Fit. That wasn't out when we had DD. It was the Graco Snug Ride. We skipped the infant seat and went straight to the Britax Marathon because I'm a whimp and could barely carry the "baby bucket" empty lol! My MIL has a Blvd which we also love using. I never missed the infant carrier. ;) We originally had a Mac Techno (Classic) but gave that to MIL so I could get the Zippy I was lusting after. I still want a Quest, have for years...The MBUS we got after MIL bought it for herself. I absolutely adored it and convinced DH to let me get it in 2004 when the Right Start had it for $239! I would save that one in a fire lol! It's funny, I can fit it in my trunk, although there isn't room for anything else but I can't get my friends Graco in! Also the one I have weighs only 19lbs before the adj handle, and extra features were made. It's actually lighter then all those travel systems-and it has *AIR TIRES*!

Rebekah

rickandsinead
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
We just bought our KeyFit at www.babyuniverse.com with an extra base. CARSEAT10 gets you 10% off. $7.95 for shipping.

nbs2
10-10-2006, 12:12 PM
So we made a decision and have decided that we will get the Zippy. A friend at church offered to give usher old jogger - I don't know the make/model, but free is free is free.

We were looking at the prices on the Zippy, and I found that Great Beginnings has the 06 for 340, while Costco has the 05(?) for 200. Although, I'm not sure what year the Costco Zippy actually is - Here is the link to the costco stoller. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11126771&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4013921&Mo=21&No=17&ViewAll=22&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=48062&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C

What is the difference between the 05 and 06 - all the little features and specs look the same. The only difference is the snack tray on the Costco site is pink rather than the black/grey I think I've seen on the 06 models.

nbs2
10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Oh! I should mention that last week we found out that we are having a girl, so the pink is acceptable (although Lori hasn't given her final approval on how it will coordinate with the Key Fit).

sweeta
10-11-2006, 09:15 AM
congratulations on the upcoming arrival of your baby girl. We are also expecting a girl in December! after much research we have also decided on the chicco keyfit and inglesina zippy. some people have said they are compatible, but when I e-mailed inglesina, they said they were not. by the way, they answered my email in less than 12 hours and I appreciated that. Right now the 2006 zippy comes with a bumper and a snack tray that are interchangable and a rain cover. You can order the zippy from www.babycatalog.com for 322.99 no tax (outside of connecticut) and right now they are offering free ground shipping! They also stock accessories like the matching boot which is 37.99 and I think a neat accessory for colder climates.

The Review Mommy
10-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Don't worry Neil, the Zippy *IS* compatible with the Keyfit.

Numerous posts on this site say so. You can read them buy doing a search on the boards. I think Inglesina has to say that they aren't for safety/liability reasons. One parent on this board went so far as to say her carseat fit so well that she could pick up the whole stroller by lifting the carrier! ;) This also goes for the P3 and C1. If you called Peg Perego they would probably tell you that only their infant car seat carrier was compatable...

HTH
Rebekah

nbs2
10-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Yeah, we've checked out compatability. One thing I love about Great Beginnings is the customer service. During Lori's second month, we were in there every weekend (I think the folks at the Stroller Lot were sick of our questions, which is why the suggested we join this forum :D).

Anyway, we verified Key Fit compatiability with the Metrolite, Cortina, C1, P3, Venezia, Zippy, etc. We found that the straps on the Zippy were better than the P3 and almost as well done and jsut as secure (though not nearly as convenient) as the lock in with Chicco's own strollers.

jeno
10-13-2006, 08:51 PM
xxxxxxx