PDA

View Full Version : Double Strollers

steelecm
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi. I'm a mother of twins, and I am looking for a double stroller to use in Austria. I need it to have air tires for the bumpy sidewalks plus small enough to fit on our tiny elevator. The elevator has a width of 32 inches. I have narrowed it down to the one by Phil and Ted, Mountain Buggy, and Lands End. Does anyone have any recommendations or opinions on any of these? Has anyone used the one by Lands End? It is the most affordable of the three, but I don't want to be cheap and end up having regrets.

Thanks for the help!

csteele

bubbaray
10-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Uh, I didn't know that Lands End sold strollers.... Do you have a link??

Personally, if I were going to Austria, I'd NOT take a stroller with me, but would buy one there. I'd probably get an Emma or a Teutonia. You could also look at Bebecar, Bebecomfort, or Jane. The Jane Powertwin is sold in the US (they make other models too) and becoming quite popular with twin moms.

I would take the opportunity to get something unique that you can't get in the US....

Have a great trip!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

steelecm
10-12-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=deluxe-double-jogger-stroller&categoryId=46304&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=8206&cat4=5480&shop_method=pp&feat=8206-tn

Here is the link, and I meant LL Bean. Sorry. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will just wait until I get there to buy one. I will check out the models you recommended.

Thanks for your help,

Christina

hardysmom
10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
First, how old are your twins? What are you currently using? Can you get to Austria and shop for a new stroller without something?

While there are many beautiful European strollers, I don't know that there are a ton of narrow, all-terrain doubles with swivel wheels and air-tires that you can't find in the US (ofthen for less than in the EU as well). If you have something in mind that you want, like a Jane in a colorway that you can't get here, wait. But I wouldn't go to a foreign country with twins and no plan.

The strollers mentioned, like Teutonia (I've owned 4 Teutonias) are great, but the Teutonia double is HUGE. Really, really HUGE.

I've used a Mountain Buggy, P&T 3, and ABC Buggy w/ a toddlerseat for my now 2.5 yr old g/g twins. Each has advantages-

The Mountain Buggy is the most rugged and the most stable. Its fold is the simplest, but it may not fit in the trunk of some tiny cars, particularly w/ luggage.

The E3 is great as long as your kids are sitting up. I sold mine because I had to have some sort of basket since, with twins, my stroller often doubles as my shopping cart. In the E3, the basket os the footwell for the rear rider. My toddlers would throw everything out. You also can't really hang a bag from the handles w/ 2 riders, so you have to carry everything on your shoulder. Also, by 18 mo, my kids were wheel grabbers. If you get an E3, get the wheel guards.

The ABC is AWESOME to push and the rear-facing toddlerseat is great, but the single isn't the most stable stroller in the world. If you have to go up curbs or steps frequently, you'd be better off with a stroller like a MBUD with a wider wheel base. Also, the fold is so long that it will not fit in many (most?) trunks w/o removing a wheel (which is easy, but still)

I'd call LL Bean and find out who makes their stroller, then you can get some reviews. Looks a little wide...

Stephanie

Tondi G
10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I would guess that the LLBean stroller is made by Schwinn (Instep).... when I enlarged the picture it said Schwinn on the tire!

Here is more info on the Schwinn double joggers

http://www.joggingstroller.com/Shop-by-Stroller-Brand/Schwinn/index.cat?ref=&parentCategoryName=SHOP-BY-STROLLER-BRAND&parentCategoryId=178&categoryName=SCHWINN&categoryId=198&add=206380002&refinementsOpen=true

approx 32 inches wide!

bubbaray
10-12-2006, 09:06 PM
That was my guess too, but I couldn't post from work! :(

The Schwinn/Instep double is cheaper than that elsewhere, I wouldn't pay that price for it. Also, it d/n fit through a standard doorway.

I have no idea, but are European doorways the same width as North American ones??

I guess it depends on what your "stable" here is and what you want in terms of function. Having something unique is worth it to me. I could definitely live with a non-swivel wheel in Europe (they work better on cobblestones), but not everyone has the same taste in strollers.

If I had to pick just one stroller to come back from Europe with, it would be an Emma, for twins I'd pick the Twin Cerox 360.

Have a great trip!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

http://bd.lilypie.com/SasRm7.png

hardysmom
10-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I believe the Cerox would be too wide. That was the reason I didn't get it when I was pregnant. It may be narrower now... certainly it a beauty.

Stephanie

steelecm
10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Thank you for everyone's help. I will take your advice and check out all these brands. We are moving to Austria in January for 3 years, my twins will be 1 then so I need a good stroller. Our apartment location will allow us to walk almost anywhere without having to drive. I'm actually looking forward to it. Therefore, my stroller option is very important.

Thanks again for the advice,

Christina